I'm not worried about stating this since nobody believes it or will visit it.

Aomori is a really cool city \:D

Even though I'm in Alaska, I think about my times skiing in Japan a lot. Hakkoda and off-piste Hachimanti was really, really good on an international scale. A few days at Hakkoda were all-time and I've skied a lot of places. I'm so glad I had the opportunity!

I have pics and vid for proof \:D

well.... add a journal entry and some pics to your member page, I'm interested in going there at some stage, maybe this weekend, mmmm how long to drive from Nagano? 10hours?

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
RockyV I think maybe more if you drove along Japan sea side because toll road at Japan sea side is still discontinuous.
true. Misawa to Sendai taking seaside highways - 10 hours. Sendai to Misawa on the expressways (toll roads) - 3 hours.

I'm not sure how long it would take from Nagano. Via expressway, which goes straight in to Aomori, I can't imagine it would be that bad. Maybe 6 or 7 hours? In Alaska, that's a trip to the grocery store lol.gif

I was, of course, pushing buttons starting this topic. I can't qualify my statement because I haven't skied everywhere in Japan. Hakkoda is damn good if you know where to go, however, and I love and miss it cool.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
It's all about the North Alps happyglass.gif

But I'm sure it's good up there
Toque, if we had infinite wisdom and could do as we pleased in life, I'd be the first to sign up for your ski adventures \:D

You rule bro! \:D I love skiing soooo much
cool.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
....I hope to one day judge it for myself.
Probably the key for a lot of life decisions. FT - you'll dig it. Spend the 3000 yen and hire a guide the first time or go with someone who knows. You will be impressed :p

I'm so going against the surfer code exposing this. Ahhhhh, fug it wakaranai.gif :rolleyes: \:D

The fact that I got the Warren Miller crew personally interested in filming this place out of all places in Japan should say something \:D

Then they came to Alaska and filmed 'Arctic Man' an hour south of me last year. hahahahaha! Max is a bastard! Watch the newest Warren Miller to know what I'm talking about \:\)

Hakkoda rocks and has the best ramen out of any ski resort I've been too. \:D I even love the mangy lodge they serve the crap in - decent beer price too clap.gif sadglass.gif

There are so many areas in Oregon and the Western US in general that I'd like to 'Hakkoda-ize'. You know, put up one gondola to the top and have free reign on finding your way down........ hells yeah \:D

Yes Gamera-san, very steep. No grooming no patrol. Ski/board at your own risk. Old village at the bottom without a single large development. True authentic feeling. I reckon it is one of the best off-piste areas in the world. The top peak there is almost 4000m (not for skiing though) and was the last peak to be conquered in the french alps. With a bit of hiking, you can get some routes with 2500m of vert. Unless you stick to the main 2 routes you will want to go with somebody who knows the mountain though... Oh, and the scenery is simply out of this world. A lot of pro skiers/boarders stay there in the winter and many companies test their gear there.

Japan may not have the vert, but it has more consistent snow \:\) Cannot get everything, I guess. But this place after a nice dump is the experience of a lifetime.

mmm, sorry if I have misread the article, but I can't find the name of the resort serreche listed, could someone please let me know.

For me, I love vertical, so a place with that much vertical, I definately should add to my ever growing must visit list

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
Plucky, if you like these kind of places then if you head to France one of these days you should try this place:

plan.jpg

;\)
I'm so there \:D I've never skied Europe and it's definitely next on my hit list. I love Europe.

I know it's my home, but backcountry in the Three Sisters area in Oregon is unbeatable. Ftwins would love it \:\)

I have so many better maps than that weak contour map. I made many of the new terrain maps for N. Japan - I should know \:D

I'm feeling surprisingly 'plucky' today \:D

RockyV, FT got it right, La Grave is the name of the resort.By the way I saw your pics/journal on Ryuo. Went there in Jan last year after a snow-fall, was great with some nice steeps! You're lucky to live in Nagano! Please sample some nice lines for us that you can show us later ;\)

Gamera-san I am sure you could go if you wanted to. If you stick to the 2 main routes, probably nothing too much above 45°, but the top to bottom will have your legs burning. happyglass.gif