Hey everyone. I know most of you guys live in Japan and you're sick of hearing about Niseko and bloody aussie tourists (like me) coming over in the 1000's every year. But I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some information.

I've organised a trip independently and as a result i'm a bit uncertain as to what the deal is over there. I'm staying in Hirafu village (niseko) for a month and I would like to know:

(i) What's the nightlife like for the young? (ie 18-25. I'm 20) What are the best clubs/bars?

(ii) I'm in Niseko for 32 days, and i plan on riding everyday and my snowboarding ability is pretty good. What is the best lift pass for me? Is it necessary/worthwile to get an all mountain pass (so i can ride the other 2 mountains?) How much are these?

(iii) How long is it to get to rusutsu and is there a hirafu-rusutsu bus? Should I bother going to rusutsu, anyway?

(iv) What equipment do i need? I have a 158cm board which should hopefully suffice (could go a bit longer by the sounds of things), also are snow-shoes, and back-country gear etc necessary?

It seems as though there is really limited (official) information about Niseko available on the web(or it's in Japanese). To anyone that can answer some of these questions i'd be really greatful and definitely willing to shout drinks if you'll be in the area around February.

Thanks,

Jezza

(Perth, Aust)

There are more than a few bars poping up around niseko so you should find that there is nite life to be had. Dont expect it to involve too many Japanese though. Fattys is a famous small bar down that wa.

Should you go to another resort? Why not its about the same level as niseko so you might as well try it.

If you intend to hike off of the peak or further afar I suggest thinking about gear. beacon shovel probe and shoes. YOu dont want to hike in snow over your knees without shoes its not fun. Also go with people.

if you intend on riding alot you might want to consider a seasons pass for hirafu and if you drop into another resort just take a shuttle bus back. Tour packages to niseko get wicked deals on tickets

(i) fatty's, powpow and gyu bar are all pretty good. Gyu bar is the best.

(ii) You might want to check out a season pass if you're going for that long intro's suggestion of talking to JPC is also a good one.

(iii) I don't believe so. NPC and skijapan.com both offer day trips though. It would also be not too hard to organize your own with the help of wherever you're staying at ;\)

(iv) Probably not, but it depends what you like to get up to. As FT said, going off the backside, yeah it would be. Otherwise, I think you'd be fine.

v) Please do a search for the thread about some of the closures. It looks like patrol may be more strict in some areas this year?

p.s.

You have two more posts before you're allowed to disappear ;\)

ha!

Yeh fair enough, i'm true to my word and you'll get yourt beers! Plus I was just checking out the grand hirafu website and their 4 week passes are only 40,000 yen. That looks like a good option and i can purchase 1-2-3 day passes if i want to ride somewhere else! Too easy, and cheap - looks like I will have some extra cash. Maybe my lodge can get the pass cheaper as well...hmmm

Sava, email me your phone number or email at powerinnumbers@lycos.com and i'll write it down and contact you when I arrive in Hirafu in a couple of months (end of January 06). Alternatively i'll probably be on these forums a fair bit over the next few hot months so you can chase me down that way. What are the local beers like? Asahi is quite good, does anyone rate Saporro beer?

Ausbc: I'm actually only going to Nagano so you'll have to mail the beers ;\)

Definitely check out la ponte...

The best Japanese beer in my opinion is Kirin followed by Saporro

lots of drinking in Niseko

there's a 7-11 style place 'seicomarto' which you'll easily find. They have lots of cheap booze (don't get any duty free, it's cheaper there)

Beers are about $3 for 750ml cans

there are 3 types of beer.

real beer

less than real beer

dont know why they call it beer but it gets me drunk.

for real beer about 40bucks or more for 24 350ml cans

leas than real beer about 30 bucks

dont know why they call it beer but it gets me drunk. about 25 bucks

those prices might be a a little on the low side.

You can buy spirts just about anywhere in japan

they sell 350 or 500 ml cans or 750ml bottles or even bigger.

Too tired to drink depends on many things doesnt it. I think youll find enough guys that will want to get on da piss with yeah.