Um well for me not normally, I will still normally go if the weather is bad as long as the lifts aren't closed. I live in Nagano city though so its only an hour's drive to the major areas, maybe be different if I lived in Tokyo or Osaka or somewhere like that. Having said that living that far away from the snow would kill me

Bad weather usually means snow! Snowbunny, which means I am out there! some of the best powder can be had in terrible weather conditions, the slopes are deserted and you can get do the same run over and over as your tracks get continually filled in.

I think you find many other peeps on this forum will say the same thing, we are hardcore here at SJ

Never ever cancelled a trip - go regardless of the weather.

We stick firmly to the old saying:

'The worst day on the slopes is better than the best day at work'!!

Besides, in Oz it's a long 5-7 hour drive, so we're committed regardless. OS is little different - paid to be there so gotta be out there: we may change plans slightly e.g. go snowmobiling, etc to replace an otherwise crap riding day.

I'm not sure if living closer gives you the "luxury" of canceling or not?

For me it's maybe the opposite, being it's a hour or less away, why not go have a look I have nothing to loose, anyway that's why I don't cancel.

I have arrived a couple of times to a resort with all the lifts on wind hold, but it's rare and I had an onsen and enjoyed the drive.

It seems obvious to me that if you live near the slopes it's easier to cancel. One of the perks I suppose. I've never cancelled a big trip - weather changes so quick anyway I remember once it was forecast for blizzards for about 3 days and it ended up snowing one day (no probs!) and the other 2 were blue sky. Bonus!