Any member going to be in Whistler BC for New Years

thats cool, hey Toque, sounds like you are from Canada. In your opinion, do you think Niseko is better then Whistler? I only got great things to say about Whistler, everything I read about Niseko is great things too. Just wondering what people who been to both places think.

Niseko and all of Japan have nothing on resorts in the rest of the world

The freedom of a place like Whistler is like being given 100 dollars to spend in a candy shop. In Japan if you obey the rules you only get 2 dollars in the candy shop

I'm from the Lower Mainland area. Hour from Vancouver.

Tks for the info, Toque. From all the reading on the web on Niseko. I was expecting Heaven like dry powder, which it probably is. But Whistler is pretty HARD to beat.

From lower Vancouver, if you grew up there, you must go up to Whistler often. Living in Oregon, its only 5.5 hours drive away from Whistler... so I guess living in the Northwest have a lot of bonus!

Tomamu

Furano (before it gets over played)

Why are you thinking about hokkaido only?

There are places up north honshu like Zao which get tons of snow.

Hakuba has 7 resorts if you put that all together you get 4 nisekos

can't miss with niseko, but Toque is right, there's so much more than niseko, esp. in hokkaido

rutsutu isn't too shabby, either

furano is overplayed in my opinion,

but if you want real hokkaido champagne powder, head out to asahidake close to the city of Asahikawa. if you're tight on time, it's bit of a gamble though, b/c the asahidake aerial tram/ropeway doesn't run if the wind gets too strong. when it is open, you have the entire mt. basically to yourselves

kiroro and sapporo kokusai are both closer to sapporo than niseko and get snow that's just as good

can't say i've ridden whistler winter snow, but i do say that hokkaido is up there if not better than snow in colorado, where i lived for 4 years

good luck!

thanks for everyone's input, and no I am not thinking about Hokkaido only, its the only one that rread so many great things about. So I thought I'll go there first.

Myoko and Arai and Furano sounds great, I'll have to do much web research on them. Are those three all in Hokkaido? How are they in getting around easily for non japanese speaker?

In everyone's opinion, what is the next best to Niseko or third best to Niseko?

Thanks for everyone's help, good thing i didn't book anything yet.