Okay Ladies & Gentlemen,

It’s that time of the year (yet again) when thoughts of organising a northern hemisphere snow holiday must be focused.

Here are the requirements:

1. Will be riding two consecutive weeks at two resorts, that is, a different resort each week, so they would ideally be near each other (not mandatory). Haven’t decided what country, so the US, Canada and Japan are all considerations.

2. All riders are advanced intermediates looking for both groomers and off-piste/powder – lots of powder! (Preferably not an over abundance of double blacks)

3. The group includes both skiers and snowboarders – so resorts need to allow both e.g. not Alta.

4. Accommodation on slope with ski in/out preferred but not mandatory.

5. Also prefer not to revisit previous resorts, so these ones are out: Steamboat, Winter Park, Big White, Silver Star, Whistler, Sun Peaks. (Don’t mind revisiting either Niseko or Rusutsu though.)

6. Try to avoid crowded ski fields e.g. small ones or near major capital cities.

So, there are the parameters, what are the opinions?

(By the way, anyone been to Vail or Aspen/Snowmass, Idaho and Utah resorts?)

You can board down Alta but they won't let you on the lift back up, but it is possible to go round the mountain back to Snowbird.

If you decide for Utah base yourself in SLC for 8 days and drive up into the Cottonwood canyons and up the The Canyons.

Winterpark: boring except the park

The Canyons: less crowds than Winterpark and mucvh better terrain. You can enjoy yourself here for a 3-4 days.

Snowbird: superb, but too many powderhounds

Alta: great, but skiers only

Solitude: great terrain and even on weekends empty (a perfect final runof the day is a 5 minute hike over to the Alta side, this is where the snowcat operates. The snow is usually untouched and just a good, relaxing run down to Alta)

Brighton: busier than Solitude but a good place to go to.

The other days try to stay at the Snowberry Inn (Eden, near Ogden and powder mountain). If you book a heliflight the heli can pick you up in the front yard!!! The guides are all great guys and very knowledgeable about the terrain (the owner of the heli-operation is head patroller for Utah)

Powdermountain: very interesting skiing felt like a clubfield in NZ,only with more lifts + plus a busservice + snowcat + heli-operation. 90% locals who want to share the best runs with you. It doesn't have the most challenging terrain but lots of powder. this is a good place to ski for a few days.

Snowbasin: more commercial but it is possible to ski from there into Ogden. Not as frequently visited as the resorts closer to SLC.

Ever thought of Tahoe region (1 week stay in S.Lake Tahoe - ski in Kirkwood and 1 day in Heavenly. 1 week Tahoe city - ski Alpine meadows and Squaw Valley)

Thanks everyone.

Fatts, I was under the impression that the major resorts on Honshu would be busy - lots of people, and generally lacking in powder? (Not much powder in Oz, that's why most Aussies go to Hokkaido - less crowded and high probability of pow)

Toque - both areas look good, but they're rather small, that is, a week at either may be too long. (Rather spend time skiing than behind a steering wheel.)

Sanno - Yes, SLC is a definite possibility. Lake T tends to get weather extremes, so a high chance of buggering up a holiday.

Therein lies the problem for tourists on a time budget - knowing the proximity of resorts to each other.

Been to Silver Star several years ago - see initial posting - but prefer not to redo resorts.

Apex looks good too, being a Canadian, what's your opinion of Fernie?

Like all our trips, we plan to got at the end of January/beginning of February - sure it's cold, but the pow dudes, the pow!

Sorry. All I saw was Big White for that area.

I've only been to Fernie once and it rained. But it looks like a cool place. I just had bad weather.

You won't have to worry about snow in Honshu at that time of the year. It will be sicky sick.

Australians go to Hokkaido cause that's what they know is good.

My first pic would be Red Mountain

How about the hills in Washington State

Baker

Alpental

etc.

They get deep deep deep deep deep powder

Washington State looks good - let me do some homework on 'em and I'll get back to yo'all with yet more questions!

Castle Mountain?? When did that one appear?! (Rhetorical question)

Man, you blokes are spoilt by the choices!

confused.gif confused.gif gotta do LOTS of homework!