Hello everybody,

I am new to this site so this is my first post. I am an avid snowboarder from Europe (but I also like skiing). Every year I go to the Alps (Austria or France) to hit the piste. In Feb/March of 2006 I will be in Japan for three weeks touring the country. I plan on spending about 5 or 6 days snowboarding. Since I am unfamiliar with snowboarding in Japan I wonder if you can offer me some advise. I would like to snowboard in a nice (and large) mountain range where the powder is good. I don’t mind going to a remote location as long as it not too remote. I would also like a location with good onsens. I have been reading about Niseko and while it appears to match what I want, some people say that it is hard to get good powder there. Any advise for me?

Regards,

Brendan

I think the people you say are kidding you - Niseko is known for its powder. It's also getting known as a place that is full of gaijin too - and the more people that go.... well you know that that will mean.

There is nothing to say that he doesn't mean powder in terms of makeup, in which case I suggest checking a Japanese school girls' face.

**boom boom**

Brendan. My experience is limited to Yamagata, and it may not apply to other parts of Japan. Here, it starts snowing in December, and stops in March/April. Most days you can ski fresh snow, but I'd hesitate to call it powder because it is fairly heavy and wet. Further north is colder, and presumably drier. You won't have any problem finding fresh snow in Japan.

Quote:
Originally posted by bpobrien808:
I don’t mind going to a remote location as long as it not too remote.
Yeah, I advice you to learn some kanji for your destination just for reference wave.gif

Maybe I overstated. It is very subjective. Powder is what I skied in the French and Italian Alps. Knee deep fluff that felt like silk. The snow here is not like that, but there is always fresh snow, and it's not always heavy and wet.

The best snow I've found was at Onikobe (Miyagi), which is north and east of me, so it's a little colder and drier. Akakura is my favourite local spot.

• 2 weeks later...