Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Toque even your little areas have better trees than niseko.
They do have nice trees. I hope to get a deep day or 2 in them before next season ends.

The thing about Niseko though is that for the most part the tree skiing is inbetween the cut runs so it seems a little more like inbounds skiing.

In the Hakuba area though the trees are almost all on the outside of the resorts with in and outs being a little more difficult
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Toque even your little areas have better trees than niseko.
This smells alot like the thread where all the windows users (that have never used a mac) took turns dissing macs.

Spoken like a mac user

I grew up using macs though. My parents are both teachers and teachers could buy a Mac for home use and then sell it to the school regaining a bit of their money. So we always had Macs and Apples. Started with the Apple IIGS and went from there. In the late 90's my girlfriend at the time switched me over to PCs and I've been a windows user ever since. I don't like or dislike windows. I don't know enough about computers to beef.

Stag the same could be said about you not getting your but down to the biggest mountains in Japan. The with so many peaks topping up at over 3000 meters it makes the other ranges look like kiddie mountians.

Capt buy landmades 1,2,3 and you will understand what the alps have to offer.

Quote:
Stag the same could be said about you not getting your but down to the biggest mountains in Japan. The with so many peaks topping up at over 3000 meters it makes the other ranges look like kiddie mountians.

Capt buy landmades 1,2,3 and you will understand what the alps have to offer.
That could be said if I pretended that I had been down there and told everyone how bad it was. ;\)

true, true. Look I dont want to ski trees less than 30 degrees. Ive looked at the niseko topo maps and the guides in general. I dont see much steep at niseko besides a traverse to a peak or the backsides of the smaller resorts.

I get to hit some very steep in your face lines in Nagano stuff where if you fall you close your eyes and just hope that you dont hit anything on the way down. If you can tell me where I can find these types of lines in Niseko without hiking then Im game to try.

Too be honest I feel more of a pull to try Getou or hachimantai or even some of the other areas up your way.

"Look I dont want to ski trees less than 30 degrees.

If you can tell me where I can find these types of lines in Niseko without hiking then Im game to try. "

I havent forgotten about this thread FT I just havent had time to get back to ya. I was going to get a topo map of Niseko and paint some of the many many areas greater than 30 degrees for you but I think I would be wasting my time. Im pretty sure you must have ment 35 or 40 degrees of which there are fewer.

Just because another place is better doesnt make Niseko any worse. Does the existance of Alaska make Nagano bad?

Thats a pretty typo I made.

In some respects the N.Alps are very close to what you will get in Alaska. Before you leave go to your local ski shop and get landmade 3. After you watch that you will understand.

I dont think I ever said Niseko sucks, I just dont feel any draw to go there is all. it will take me a better part of a day to get there maybe 7 hours I figure. 1.5 to the airport, 1.5 waiting a there, 1.5 flying time then what 2 hours to niseko? I can drive to Nagano in 4.5 to 5.5 hours. That is the real reasonI will never go there.

PS the vid looks nive still only watched a bit though.

I can sympathise with that - travel time (and cost) is the reason I never made it down south.

Generally I dont mind what you say about Niseko, naturally everyone is entitled to their opinion but direct comparasons like "even your little areas have better trees than niseko." when you have never been there, I am going to call you on. :-)

Anyway back to the cheesy website - I finally took a look at the "avalanche safty"

(sic) vid. The "rules" he is talking about that you have to read "for safty" basicly say "at your own risk" which doesnt really improve the safty situation much.

I just wrote something up then decided it was just going to go arould in a circle.

The invite is always there if you want to see what the alps have to offer. I think you will change your view after a 2500 vertical meter plunge to the valley floor.

one of many

SAVE0061731.jpg

a very famous short walk to ski an epic line.

513-29.jpg

my kind of trees short hike maybe 45mins

itinose%20011.jpg

IMG_9576.JPG

Nice pics. Unfortunately Im not trying to have a Niseko vs Nagano debate. Im not qualified to participate as I have not been to one of those places. Thats also my main point - neither are you.

I can't comment on Nagano, having not been there. However, in February this year I went to Niseko for a week with six mates.

Of our group, two are ex ski intructors and two are ex ski patrollers. Some of us have also clocked up over 400 ski days in various parts of the world. In other words, a reasonably experienced group of skiers.

While Niseko definetly has flatter slopes than the Canadian and European resorts we've visited and worked at, we still found lot's of fun terrain, particularly in the BC. Nothing 'extreme' but Niseko certainly left us with huge smiles on our dials.

Like any resort, you really need to know where to look, but not do anything stupid.

An 18 minute video of our trip will be available shortly.

We plan to go back to Niseko next year, but are interested in trying the main island in 2007. FT, do you provide guiding services for groups of reasonably experienced skiers?

FT is moving to Nagano. Once our baby things are worked out Im outta here. in fact the wife told me to go house hunting in nagano if I want to this summer. With any luck the fattwins co. along with my auzzie mate will be up and running.

Im not a ticketed guide for BC terrain but... I can show you many nice places to ski and ride that will blow your mind. I prefer to do this at either happo,47 or nozawa. These areas will not pull our passes if we ski within certain areas.

I can help in arranging a guided BC tour with either Dave , Rappie or another company. I will although start to charge for these services in the future. My daily rate for anything in 20000 yen per day.

Capt not to keep this debate going but what Im trying to say is this. for me I want to ski terrain like the pictures above. maybe not everyday but I want to do it. Does Niseko have this for me?

Everyone makes judgements for whatever reasons. I wont ski certain places in Canada because I know from the map that they have nothing for me.

That said if SJ ever gives me the free niseko trip I will go for sure.