hmmm - I used to live in Kitzbuhel, another 'low' resort in Austria - great when there is snow but if you are taking a vacation and spending big bucks, best to pick somewhere higher to make sure you have a good chance at having lots of snow.

We used to go to Kaprun which was a little more than an hour away from Kitzbuhel when there was no or little snow in the low resorts. The glacier itself always has snow but its not a destination I would choose in winter season.

Nearby Zell am See is a pretty place in Austria - but the surrounding area does not offer the most challenging/exciting ski experience in Austria - and if there is snow - its usually heavy and wet.

Kitzbuhel has far better night life if the snow isn't up to snuff.

Totally agree with fjef, although the baumbar is a great apresski hangout.

A glacier in winter is generally miserably cold and unless there is a lack of snow it is better to avoid them altogether. Besides Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) is pretty flat.

Wouldn't go to Zell am See either. If you want to stay in the area Saalbach-Hinterglemm is a better option.

If you want powder then try Uttendorf Weissensee Gletscherbahnen. It is on the backside of Kaprun's glacier. Very small resort (5 lifts) but great backcountry and not many people.

Snow is snow sometimes it is good sometimes it is wet and heavy. Have had dry powder snow have had cement like snow.

If you want to be near a glacier in winter then Hintertux (stay in Mayrhofen for nightlife) and Solden are better choices.

Zell am See is a pretty small area compared to Saalbach-Hinterglemm plus S-H tend to get a little more snow.

As they are only 15 minutes apart....

Note: both resorts are low (up to 2000m) As are most skiresorts in Austria.

Lech/Zurs is great many snobbish resort skiers. It is on the same pass as St. Anton, but you need to take a bus to get there from St. Anton. This keep smost people on the other side of the mountain.

So you end up with a whole lot of backcountry just for yourself and your buddies. It also doesn't have the altitude problem like many other Austrian resorts. It has 1 "problem" too much snow. Don't go there when the Dutch queen visits as it feels like she always gets snowed in when she visits Lech.

Quote:
Originally posted by sava:
Thinking of going in the winter...
Kaprun is great, but in the winther time I rathjer prefer some other ski areas in Austria, like Obertauern, this wonderful resort is in the province SAlzburg, eastern part, about 3 hour drive from Vienna, wich is the capital city of Austria. I skied in Obertauern in the past season, in the middle April. we had plenty of snow, on the botton over 2 metres ! and blue sky&sunshine and nice temperature. No crowds, no liftlines! Lots of backcountry possibility,
here some pics, taken by me:

11791237.jpg
11791685.jpg
11791734.jpg
11791897.jpg
11791911.jpg
11791018.jpg
11791568.jpg