Shouldn't that read "fight" not "fights"?

I obviously didn't stay at the right den of iniquity in Niseko, but I'll try and make it there next season.

I can vouch for the effects of the toe socks. I had some back in my eikaiwa days and they were always a great conversation starter at izakaya parties. Mine were dark green, so the ladies used to say my feet looked like Godzilla's. For gaijins seeking even more attention, they're just the thing. "Speculate to accumulate" types with no self-respect can splash out on the ones where each toe is a different colour. I reckon you'd get kawaiis from the ladies on other tables with them.

In my experience, you'd normally get some old salaryman in between cigarettes chiming in with "Are you ... mizumushi?" (lit. "Are you athlete's foot?") but that's old salarymen for you. In the city at least, the toe socks=mizumushi association seems to be quite strong. It doesn't seem to bother the girls though.

• 4 months later...

Aw, shucks!

If only you knew that Ian's talent as a writer is eclipsed by his talents as a cross-cultural observer.

Many a time we hesitated to venture upstairs for fear of disturbing his delicate but thorough nocturnal observations.

I expect he'll don a kilt as onslope/apres attire for next season in order to expedite his daring forays into unexplored territory.

Haw haw haw haw haw!!!

\:D

Yee ha! Not only do I have my own commericial now, but also I am in print!!! Excellent!!!

Great article Ian!

As a Kiwi I am ashmed at the antics of my fellow countrymen. Must have been all that pented tension from being away from their "country blondes" girlfriends too long.

Ian "CRASH",

Sweet article mate, youre making your fellow Hiroshima boyz proud! Every time we'd dive into one of our local Izakayas, bars, or nampa epidodes the stories and the banter that you and everybody else shared was always priceless. The only thing I wish I could do for everybody who knows you, both back here and on this Forum, is to get a copy of the Hokkaido video with G, T, B, K, and you. If everybody here could only see that once, it would be worth a million dollars!!! Especially, the candle mate.................the candle......... \:D

• 3 weeks later...