What is a hardcore skier or hardcore boarder then?

One man's hardcore slider, another man's catamite...

For me, a hardcore rider is one that drops off very large mountains, pref. having climbed it first. I am not hardcore.

[This message has been edited by miteyak (edited 13 June 2002).]

Not me for sure.

But why does hardcore mean dropping off mountains?

If I go out riding 100 times a season and almost devote my life to the sport for the whole winter - that seems pretty hardcore to me.

This is kind of a silly question. If you notice, the question of who is hardcore was raised by some no name who just dropped by for a yawn. I suspect that normally he contributes his gems of positivity to those snowboarding forums that go something like this;

u think your sooooo kewl but your a lame@ss

no your the biggest lame@ss your pix suck that's not a rodeo that is a wobbly man

showz how much u no that's a rodeo man, anyway wares you're pix huh??

So we might as well ask ourselves who's a lame@ss as who's 'hardcore'. I go snowboarding maybe 10 times a year, although I'd love to hike up mountains and board down (though dropping off sounds stoopid to me), but circumstances don't permit it. The rest of the time, I think about snowboarding.

Now does this mean that I'm going to get defensive and bothered because some thickie says 'Hey dewd, I'm a bad@ass and u don't even no what hardcore means'?

Hell no.

I knew this really hard-core skier once...

he dislocated his shoulder, but would still hit the mtn. everyday...you ask him "doesn't it hurt", and he would reply with a huge grin "oh yah..."

the guy fractured his wrist, and just duct-taped it shut and kept skiing...

the stories go on and on...but he is definetly hard core...

danz

Ha ha, that sounds hardcore alright.

I knew a hardcore climber once who would glue his ripped up hands together with Super Glue. (I've tried this myself, under different circumtances, and it works very well. It's not harmful either - I checked.)

OO actually brought this one up, I believe, and I think btween myself, Danz and Ocean11, there's a pretty good answer. As for going 50 times a season, thinking about it the rest of the time, means you love it. That's the category I put myself in. I respect many 'hardcore' (hate the term myself, if you didn't get the jist from the previous thread) riders, but have no aspirations to be one.

rolleyes.gif

Yeah, sure.

I just think that hardcore would just be someones who's mad about the sport and will go to any lengths to make sure they're out there as much as possible.

I wish I could get out more.