I will be experiencing my first winter in Japan next season and want to pick a mega place to start off with. I live just to the north of Shinjuku. Where would you go for the first experience?

Cheers all

bs

I'd suggest that it doesn't really matter. Choose a place where it's snowed a lot and the weather is nice, and it should be good enough. Especially if you're going to snowboard, the first time out shouldn't be too long, as you'll be knackered, unless you're really young and fit.

The first full day snowboarding and my second time I went to Ryuo in Shiga, and it was great. There's a nice gentle trail at the top with amazing views, and then quite a long, wide course lower down. The snow was also nice and soft. I really knocked myself out.

I don't really agree with ocean on this one.

Some places just look rubbish and unappealing. Whereas some places look amazing and can leave a lasting impression.

I bet you are wanting somewhere that is good for your level, but at the same time looks the part. First impressions, right?

I started at sunalpina sanosaka. Loved it, good, wide intermediate slopes, not many people, great views, good snow.

Avoid places with lots of narrow trails, bunny slopes (actually harder when learning to board) and of course, lots of people. Hakuka valley a good choice, but avoid the big resorts. Moguls, ice patches, long runs all can detract from the experience for beginners. I wouldn't go to Happo, 47 or Goryu.

Sunalpina Aokiko-love it, stunning scenery, feels V natural and have taken a lot of beginners there who appreciated it more than the biggies.

If your on a board, avoid very flat beginner slopes as its easy to catch an edge on them and once you do, you'll have difficulty getting going again once you stand up. You can't push off your poles like you can when skiing and if you can't do it well, skating across flat bits with one leg strapped in is very tiring.

The Sunalpina resorts sound like a good choice. If you get a nice day, there are are great views of Lake Aoki. They do various discounts there so check their homepage (or get a Japanese reading friend to have look). Across the road from Sanosaka is the lodge where the Russian Nordic Ski team stayed during the Winter Olympics. There's lots of memorabilia on display and the owner will show you the pics if you're interested. It's a pretty western style place called No no Hana. Nice breakfasts with homemade bread too.

Learned to board from nonohana, spent two weeks there my first season. Great spot. Aokiko has a great Italian restaurant at the base too, chianti and veal on the 'veranda' of a lunchtime, terribly civilized. Book early on weekends.

The Aokiko resort is (also) called Ki-an-tei written in ateji. Only been there the once, but the calzone was quite good as restaurant food goes, and is miles better than what you normally get on the slopes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...