I threw a five, which means I get to start.

Hakuba from Nagoya - between 4 and 5 hours by train.

I don't speck you read much Japanese yet, but if you go to the site below, you can type in the place names in English. One click converts them to Japanese, then another click shows you a range of routes and times. You can set what day and time you want to go, and set whether to search by arrival or departure time.

http://www.jnavi.eki-net.com/cgi-bin/jreast/jreast.cgi

Happy hunting.

OK, who's turn go is it next?

Until I see some evidence that I got that completely wrong (bollocks people), I'd suggest that 4 hrs is the minimum (taking into account waits of 40 min or more between trains).

How about some other suggestions for more reasonable trip from Nagoya? Hell, I don't live anywhere near there, so I wouldn't know...

My suggestion is:

20 or so minutes to Nagoya Intl Airport, hop on a plane to Canada(if they fly outta there that is) 8 hours later you are in winter wonderland! Add anywhere between 2 to 6 hours for inland transport and about 10 days holiday and of course the return leg and you can happily forget about Nagano or Niigata or Gunma...

Editors note: This Kiwi has neither been to Canada nor lives in Nagoya and so the above is merely speculation! However price of weekend trip to Nagano and the price of 10 days in Canada would probably be the same!

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 09 September 2002).]

FWIW

Three and a half on this one. You can speed up your onslope time by getting off at Yanaba (next to Kashimayari) or Kamishiro (2 minute shuttle to Goryu). Both have nightas, so arriving at lunchtime is not so bad. Nice sleep the night before, so it's a pretty cruisy itinerary, all things considered.

http://ekikara.jp/time.cgi?train128

'rollocks' not directed, more a case of 'and I thought it was more convenient to live in Nagoya' coupled with a little bit of 'but i've got to Hakuba by train from Osaka in less than 5 hours before!' Done the trip by car before in 4.5hours!

3.5~4 sounds reasonable.

Japan gets more snow than Canada, more freshies!

• 2 weeks later...

I say buy a car you can buy one for less than your paycheck. You can then do what ever you want there are easy cheap ways up to nagano from Nagaoya that take about 6 hours no highway fee.

We do it from osaka take a back highway into nags then get off and follow the roads to Matsumoto. Figure you are going to drive at night so rotate the driving

Arrrgghhh . . . what a great game, I`m touched and flattered - guys and gals.

I`m here in Japan - Nagoya (not impressed), and spending most of my time trying to get applications out to the ESL schools in Nagano, and spending the rest of the time trying to get a transfer.

So that leaves me little time to camp out on this board. . .

A car doesn`t look too likely.

My last resort, if I can`t get a freakin` job will be to build me one of them shanties in the backcountry, grow a beard, and become Japan`s answer to bigfoot. season pass, and some ramen money for christmas & I`m good.

That is if I don`t get eaten by the grizzlies.

\:D