Don't really get that post Ocean11, but hey - can't speak the lingo.

They're trying to get more of us Brits over to Europe this year with loads of ads and stuff - for the most part snowboarding. Hardly see much skiing around in the ads now.

There was a famous skiing film in the 80s called "Take Me Skiing, Why Don't You?" (very roughly translated), where beautiful boys and girls with hairspray and white outfits did high-powered skiing and RVing with the excuse of a romantic story line. Actually it was quite an enjoyable flick if I remember.

Anyway, it prompted millions of people to flock to the ski resorts in the hope that they would get good at skiing, wear hairspray, and perhaps get laid too. This was a great boon for the industry, which laid on lots of new hotels.

All this was made possible by the bubble economy when everybody apparently had money to throw away. So perhaps we need a new film, only with snowboards this time. I think they've maybe tried to make something similar in the past, but it didn't fly.

"During the bubble...", people will say.

Things are not as they were at the bubbles peak, but dont fool yourself into thinking that the decline is over. That bubble is still bursting.... the big pop has not even happened yet. The big pop may never happen, but if it doesnt..... RIP the long term economic health prospects for Japan.

I Think newies still come....

im a good example of that!

I have been exposed to snowboarding for bout 8 years now beacuse my brother owns a board shop...

but it wasnt untill the season (in australia july/august) that i tryed boarding...

i have always wanted to but neverbeen able to afford it since its $77 a day pass...

i went down 2 times this season and had a ball...

hence the reason were going to japan... i cant wait the aussie snow was pretty POO-Sticks!

i think that there will be new people but they are starting to get older more independant cause its becoming to expesive for familys to introduce their children to the sport....!!

my 2 cents

I disagree Deebee.

Things may fall further, but the main fall has happened. Even if the economy shrinks, it's no longer a 'bubble' issue, just economic decline.

The 'bubble' was an inflated assets issue, those assets are no longer inflated, and Japan's prices now pretty much reflect market value (whatever that might mean!)

Japan still has HUGE exports HUGE domestic savings and a HUGE slice of the worlds economic pie.

In terms off asset prices, you are right, the bubble is over so much as they are far more 'normal'.

I should have been more specific... Japan needs several bad debt ridden banks and the companies on the other side of the debt obligation to die. This will have huge negative effects on the economy. There will be wholesale retrenchments. After that has happened Japan can start to build regain true economic strength. The government has not the balls to do what is needed (I hardly blame them) and all solutions so far have been band-aid solutions.

In addition, this country needs some good solid inflation... nice and steady at 5%. If they think that the monetary easings the cash market are going to help (ie the zero interest rates) they are wrong. Just yesterday teh govt was demanding the BoJ pump an additional 15 Trn yen into teh market!! There is already surplus 15-20Trn floating around.

Crazy stuff.

If the govt got serious about fixing the problems it will require some serious pain, and I bet you would see less people on the slopes then (and less resorts).

No inflation...

No interest rates (encourages yet more savings!)

People just need to feel their confident restored. I think anything could happen once the government commits to a plan of action.

Come to Osaka, there's money, oodles of it, buildings going up everywhere. Just got to get the money back into the banks (once sorted out). I'll wager Japan's economic figures would be a little different if 'grey' economic activity was measured.

This whole thing is annoying the **** outta me. At a meeting the other day, our boss told us that there was no money for expansion, because of Japan's great economic woes. uuummmm, our company's profits didn't start to grow until a few years ago, and now they're bigger than ever!

Contary to popular belief, Japan's economy is based on small private enterprise, stifled by large ignorant corporations. Move these out the way and you don't have collapse, you give a new lease of life to the real builders of the economy.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
...once the government commits to a plan of action.
No one has any confidence in their plans anymore as they are just weak attempts to avoid the problem.

Deebee, a little confused..

Increase interest rates, that shrinks the money supply

Inflation, marks an increase in the money supply (without rising productivity)

against injection of money (inflationary tactic)...

What is it you want? sounds like yer pulling the economy in two directions. As for inflation, I like my yearly pay rises to be MORE than it, not less.

I think everyone's agreed that the good banks need support, and the bad to go under, along with the debtors. That's about all, really.

Oh, and accountability. Politicians don't have the balls.......to shoot themselves in the foot! \:D

Yak, your profile says designer not economist?

I didnt say to increase interest rates, I just said that it isnt the answer (in Japan's case) to stimulating some inflation.

Inflation is vital in this instance. Japan needs it.

The usual text book causality is:

increase money supply... leads to lower interest rates... leads to higher growth..... leads to lower unemployment... leads to greater inflation.

The BoJ (probably at the will of ignorant polliies) have cut rates to zero. It was never going to help and there isnt any more point flogging that horse any more, but pollies are still crowing for it. The monetary base has increased to levels that are above the 1970's oil crisis levels. Yes, this has aided in stabilising the plight of the japanese economy. However growth will not come until domestic demand grows and structural reform (economic and industrial) is well under way. The most vital aspect to the solution is to fix the non-performing asset/bad debt problems.

As for mentioning productivity in the same sentance as 'Japanes Economy'... you should be ashamed.

What do you design any way?

I'm an economics major, designer by default!

Not quite so, Deebee, increased money supply is often stimulated by lower interest rates. Lower rates are used by governments to stimulate/sustain growth, inflation is an unwanted side effect. Inflation is false growth. Where did you study economics, the Ricardian stronghold of Australia?

Governments usually use higher interest rates to curb the rise in the money supply to stave off inflation.

Absolutely, but get me on my horse...

Japan 'sliding on snow' numbers will stabilize, resorts will consolidate, and the Japan Slide (JS) will offer season tickets to anywhere in Japan.

And Deebee, shorten me name by all means, but less of the 'yaky'.