This may be old news to the mature boarder, but it is the first I have seen/heard of it.

http://www.burton.com/gear/pr_boards.asp?productID=7

pp_B30083111.jpg

From the Burton site:

"Dominate the Backcountry.

The Custom S transforms into touring skis in 60 seconds without tools or any loose parts for the ultimate in backcountry ascents and pure snowboarding descents."

Why not? many backcountry boarders hanker after them... hefty price tag though. Could of got one last year half price, and would of if I hadn't just board a burton cascade, and of course telemarking being no1 on my agenda.

Split board? Lets have an SJG giveaway for one! With skins thrown in. Gimme gimme gimme!

Can't slide across traverses with snowshoes, Ocean. Also, no need to lug your board on your back if its on your feet.

Voile's are a lot cheaper than Burton's. Come in more sizes to. One of the Japanese mags had a "make your own split board" article a couple of years back, though you need a circular saw to do it. Maybe you could rope in your friendly local gaijin carpenter to give you a hand.

I don't know much about snow shoeing, never having done it, but I heard from friends who do that you can sort of run/slide quite a bit.

I think I also remember hearing that the split board wasn't much good in anything but fluffy stuff. I don't know whether it's true or not.

BTW, NoFakie, the drill here is to get in contact with the SJG folks and then the makers, and ask for two boards, one for the SJG Department of Testing and Review :p , and one for the discerning SJG punters. It's worked for me, twice now! Go for it.

Im not a boarder but knowning many buddies and buddets, the split board has been around for more the 8 years and they are getting better. They are popular in Canadas Back Country places like Whitewater and Golden area. Are they good for the hardpack no they arent but thats not the purpose of them now is it. Soft snow whether it be spring or pow. They take lots of time off long climbs, side slipping is much easier than boot backing it up waist deep snow.

I got one last month. The good old half price cause its last years model deal.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

I did a fair bit of snowshoeing last season and I can tell you having a board swinging off your back all day gets a bit annoying.

The splitboard is also a real plus if you have any ideas about doing multi day alpine touring with a board.

You can check out more about em at www.couloirmag.com

Very cool site that by the way.

i think its interesting but i also think like drew, i dont think i'd try it.....

theres a common thing in Australia skiers dont have any respect for boarders and boarders get their boards trashed by incosiderate skiers so therefor boarders dont like skiers!!!! thats a sterotype....

then to combine the 2 would be to have a split personality!!

hehahea..... theres a theroy for ya! \:D \:D

I just don't see the point. If your going to snowboard, buy a board. If your going to ski, buy a pair of ski's.

A combination of the two is going to inferior to something that is focused solely on one thing.

From what i hear and have read the combo board/ski is pretty poor as a whole.

Just my opinion though! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freaks_girl:

theres a common thing in Australia skiers dont have any respect for boarders and boarders get their boards trashed by incosiderate skiers so therefor boarders dont like skiers!!!! thats a sterotype....

then to combine the 2 would be to have a split personality!!

hehahea..... theres a theroy for ya! \:D \:D
Hmmmmm...

Peaker

Looking forward to a first-hand opinion on your new stick. Keep us posted, will ya!

If you're up in Sapporo, check out this (Japanese) guy's page about BC riding in Hokkaido (+Tateyama). Some great pics, even if you can't read it.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Outdoors-River/1996/report.htm

He's also put up his views on his split board. He seems reasonably happy on the whole, and even when he says "I use it depending on the conditions" you have bear in mind that this is one surefire board-crazy dude with other A1 equipment (gentem TT and homemade stepin snowshoes!) at his disposal.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Outdoors-River/1996/snowboard/split.htm

Thanks for that link Nofakie. Very cool stuff indeed. Lots of inspiration there for the coming season.

Miteyak is spot on about this split thing being a snowboard. You definately shouldnt be thinking its for skiing. Serious telemark dudes will just laugh their asses of. "ski" mode is for going up only. The extra wide skins are supposed to provide pretty good traction.

I never thought for one moment that the split board was meant for DOWNHILL skiing...its only for strapping on the skiings and going up?? right?

I mean, the shape of the skiis just make no sense for downhill...

ski-mode for uphill

board-mode for downhill...

I guess that is what it was designed for...

danz