• 3 weeks later...

I rode there, but it was my first season and I had only been snowboarding for about 10 days at that stage so I didn't get the most out of the experience. I had a very good time regardless and it formed a crucial level in my learning curve. I had never in my life touched powder snow, it was a special event that's for sure. I went up with danz, another SJ member who is now in cryogenic suspension after a nasty ski crash in W-BC.

There are some SJ members that live(d) near there, they know it really well. Get their input and if they recommend getting a guide, then take that advice.

The nearby city Aomori is a nice little place.

If the weather turns on you it sucks. I think there is even a J-movie about the soldiers that died up there. Anyway, it's a fabulous place to visit. I thought I was going to die there once but I harbor nothing but good memories of the place.

Gamera, yes, it can be complicated. Once I boarded there and the visibility was basically nil and I got lost off the trail (they are marked by flags). I had to use a walki-talki (sp?) to alert a friend to find me. Scary!

I went to Hakkoda in mid-March a few years ago. By that stage the last of the snow falls was pretty much finished and the snow was getting a bit thick and sticky. It may be better this year with the good snow falls around though.

We had the weather turn ugly on one day, which although the cable car kept running was really foul at the very top. Very strong winds, 4m visibility. The good thing was that not far below the top of the mountain it got calmer and so easy to deal with.

I didn't find the place hard to keep my bearings once I'd taken it easy for the first day, but if you just go straight off-course straight up you might find it difficult.

From the middle of the mountain to near the bottom is pretty flat - not much fun on a snowboard, but the trees and I'm told fabulous powder earlier in the season makes it worthwhile.

There is a ring-road going right around the mountain, so if you ever get lost just keep moving downhill until you spill out onto the road. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Lots of people take their stuff and head back country. There's also some companies up there that will take you off on BC tours if you want. Nice place - I'm keen to get back there.

Yeah, but... If you think about your surroundings and don't panic the place is fine. It's not a huge place (assuming you're on the front slopes, off the back and you're on your own). However even in good weather if you explore too much you will find yourself hiking in out of the way places. I tried to skirt way right of the main ridge at one stage and found myself struggling to not fall into the next valley. I knew where I was the whole time, I just wished that that wasn't where I was... :-)

heaps of backcountry to be explored, some big steep open faces... but i went on a backcountry tour... and a bus picks us up at the road... a freaky amount of powder when the weathers good... definately go equipped... if you go up the ropeway there are two "courses" down the front of the mountain, but basically, everyone just heads down any which way... there is some nice skiing there too. If you are heading by yourself, or with friends who don't know the area, i definately recommend doing a tour (they do backcountry and some runs down the regular side of the hill), finding out the good places to go, and then head out there yourself (not the backcountry stuff though, unless you have a map, know the area, have someone to pick you up at the road, snowshoes, etc...) the weather changes pretty quickly though, and visibility can be, and is often pretty low...