first topic: "Japan Fit"... what is the story here? a marketing gimmick? Is the Japanese head/face that different from the average western noggin? Every brand of goggles I tried on felt different.

second topic: are there any clear leaders in the goggle world?

We have huge protruberances in the middle of our faces, and the backs of our heads are rounded because we jumped up and down demanding unreasonable things when we were babies instead of lying obediently with the backs of our heads on the pillow. Thus our goggles will be differently shaped because you know how precisely these things have to fit and the submicron tolerances involved.

My wife has a flatish asain face and she says that her regular (rather rounded) smith googles dont fit all that well (gap around the nose), she has never tried japan fit so she cant comment on the difference.

Okay I can assign to the fact that Asian decent features are different to white or African decent people, but do you think that this "Japan Fit" could be another chapter in the long saga of "Ware ware Nihonjin."

Just in the snow industry what have we got so far that makes the really rams home the above philosophy.

1. Japan fit boot, as Japanese feet are different. (I thought all human feet were different!!)

2. Japan made skis as the foreign ones(used all throughout the world) are designed for Japanese snow.

3. Japan fit goggles.

We are the NZ fit boots or googles? Where are the African fit boots or googles? Where are the BIG footed, TALL sized fit products?!

I can understand a company saying this is the only thing to do to please our customers and stuff, but are things not being taken a little too far?

Sorry to hijack you thread deebee just lately I have been running into alot of this "bordering racism" attitude against big blonde white mogski! Sheesh!

I guess the answer to your question is if they fit and you liek the fit they are for you. As for goggle leaders Smith, Oakley are perhaps the heaviest marketed but not necessarly the best. Shop around for something with lots of vents, helmet compatable strap(one that has a clip at the back are pretty good).

I do feel for you mogski. You are a normal sized western male. That makes for tough times in japan fitting rooms! I appear to be Japanese in as much as the goggles made for japanese people fit me ok.

Quote:
Originally posted by deebee:
I do feel for you mogski. You are a normal sized western male...
Er deebee sorry, but Mogs is by no means normal-sized.

Some parts of him are rather larger than normal, and others much smaller than normal.

I'll leave it to you to imagine which parts are which...we have some pics from a drunken surf camp trip that I can mail you privately.

Now, back to my red wine and movie ("Eight-Legged Freaks").

yep, had a bit of a spastic at the top of this thread. I managed to post the topic twice.

I have parted with my hard earned for another pair of oakley in anticipation of more frozen precipitation for my participation this weekend.

I bought oakley mainly because it seems that most places I go sell replacement lenses, so it makes life easier when they get damaged or a different shade is needed.

I agree it is weird Oakley doesn't build a clip into their gogs. Like it is such a major or expensive addition.

I love my Oakleys. I don't think it is that no one else makes great goggles so much as Oakley only makes the highest quality goggles - they don't also make the cheap ones. Know what I mean?

I read last year about how some .jp companies were promoting their stuff, saying that Japaneses snow is different to all other snow, so you need to have "specially designed equipment" that would work on Japanese snow. I see this "Japan Fit" as just another way of keeping the money in the country.

I use Smith goggles, because the colour of theirs lense suits my sight. A friend borrowed a pair and couldn't see properly, but I am colour blind so that possibly makes a difference.

Like boots and pants, try as many different ones as you can, check all the different colour lense and get what YOU like, not what some advertisment tells you you like.

Don't think they have the clip strap at the back but they certainly made the helmet strap fitting alot easier.

Haven't seen these in the shops yet, but shouldn't be long.

satin_silver_fire.jpg

I'm not on the lookout for goggles, but the only JapanFit I've noticed in the shop were Oakleys. That's not a Japanese company.

I use a helmet but don't mind not having a clip.