I have an outdoor area of about 10sqm that is currently concrete, and some tiles 30x30cm.

I want them on that area.

But finding the prices I am being quoted for the world to be a bit ridiculous.

So I'm actually thinking of doing it myself. Looking at some vids on youtube, it seems to be something I could do.

Anyone ever done work like this? Any tips on this sort of thing?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done much tile work.....lots of brick and cinder block work though. Keeping the tiles square to the grid you lay down, nicely spaced, and with the right amount of mud...is a real b!tch. Working a trowel is a real art form and the pros make it look soooo...easy. I'd say study the youtube vids and get a scrap sheet of plywood and practice getting used to troweling the mud. Once you get a feel for it and you are getting a consistent thickness of mud ...go for it. It's actually fun once you get a rhythm.

Yes I have done that.

You need some finishing concrete ie tje smooth type without stones.

You need to spread the cement out evenly over the concrete base. Use a piece of 1x4 to smoothen it out before laying the tiles.

If you want a gap between the tiles then insert a thin piece of wood this can be removed after.

Also use a string line to get the tiles level.

And make sure the concrete base you already have is clean and wet as the cement will stick to it better.

Make sure to use slow drying cement the quick drying cementvwill dry before you can finish.

The slowvdrying type will also allow for adjistment and is stronger.

The latex just helps prevent cracking. Hit your hardware store with a pic of what you want to do and they should have the supplies. That's what I'd have to do.

Next to the house? It's just it probably has a slight lean on it currently to ensure water doesn't flow back to the house. Just keep this in mind when laying the tiles to keep that lean. Some people forget this and lay the tiles completely level not allowing to water to run off properly.

Yes, next to the house. Good point! :)

I think I'm going to do this myself. Fed up of being quoted silly prices for what does not seem to be rocket science. I think I might even enjoy it.

Just need to know what stuff to use!!

Well....the runoff doesn't have much to do with the tiles...that should have been taken care of with the laying of the slab. Keep the mud layer consistent.

Sorry but I disagree with the trowl method you will not get the tiles level use wood to level the cement you can also make a slight run off better this way.

You need mortar basically the same cement as used for brick walls.

You can either buy ready mixed or you buy the cement powder and then mix the fine sand wirh it and add water.

It should be soft enough to work but not runny or dry.

Dont use tile grout it is not as strong and can crack that is only meant for internal wall use.

A trawel is for applying the cement to bricks, etc and although you cam level the cement on the brick or tile it is not going to be any use when you have many tiles that you want to lay together.

A length of wood is going tp be much easier then you can just lay the tiles down.

I'd use a grooved trowel for the mortar mix to lay the tiles on. Match the size of the grooves to the instructions on the mortar mix. You can get grouts for outdoors that work well. I'd suggest a flexible sanded grout and that you also use a grout sealer which will help stop discolouration of the grout.

One of the main things to consider is that you'll more than likely have to cut some of the tiles Once you know the tile size you'll be using map out on a scale drawing, or lay them down to work how you want them fit. Generally it's best to arrange it to have the cut tiles butting up to the house.

Scaple the surface of the area you are tiling with a pneumatic scalping tool or scalping tool and hammer. Lay a few coats of bondcrete. This will give you a good surface for adhesiving your tiles. To avoid pooling, lay 50 mm cover of concrete with 5mm arg at fall of 100 to 1ratio ( 10mm for every 1000mm ). allow 24 hour to go off. Start laying your tiles using a good adhesive glue. Bed each tile firmly to avoid drummy tiles.