So, I put my snowboard to sleep for the summer and took out my skateboard (gravity longboard). Riding that is the closest feeling for me to riding my snowboard......after about 4 hours my front right wheel fell off, mid run. Sent me flying and I landed on my wrist. After lots of swearing and walking in circles it was off to the hospital to have it yanked back into place.

I dislocated it/picked up a Burton fracture! (Very fitting name!)

End of my skate season for a while!

Shit, that sucks. I was big into skateboarding from elementary school to uni but gave up when my bones started healing slower and slower. I almost never do it now. Trying surfing instead! I think you are a lot less likely to injury yourself doing that.

Same. I smashed my body up for years and years skating. It was a lifestyle for us for about 10 years.

Had to stop in the end due to having too much time off work.

A couple of pics from back in the day.

20130813_211748_zps499258f8.jpg

20130813_211732_zpsf7922cea.jpg

20140326_201821_zps9f8b5b8f.jpg

20140326_202022_zps43389428.jpg

I tried to learn as an adult......a very painful experience.....it didn't last long! Definitely a sport you need to learn when ur a kid and your body takes the pain, wear and tear better

I was part of the first wave of boarding back in the late '70s. I wouldn't mind getting one of those long boards that I see surfers killing time with when there's no surf.

So I am now waiting in the hospital bed for 2:00 to roll around so I can get a metal plate and bolts put into my wrist!

It's a shame, but I think my skateboarding for the year is now out of the question. Riding my longboard last summer really helped my balance and confidence on my snowboard during the winter. Anyone else longboard??

Metal plate and bolts!

Yikes.

I hope the metal plate doesn't look like this.

grungy-hazard-sign-metal-plate-272098.jpg

Having said that, it's a bit 'Hacienda' isn't it. So that's cool.

;)

Good luck!

Hope it goes well sapporo.

Was really into skateboaring in my late teens.

Like you Saitaman, wouldn't mind buying one and getting back into it.

Love skateboarding have a park 2 Minutes away but i am dressed as retard (according to the local kids) full safety elbow & knee pads, wrist guards, helmet, shorts with pads everywhere.

Just bought a Freeboard but that looks scary.

Even the kids on scooters rock the vert these days

Small bit of metal plate and 8 screws into the bones now holding my wrist together!

Hurts a bit!!

Will the plate and screws stay in, or do they come out one the bone has healed?