I'm going to be in Japan on the 18th for a wedding, and was hoping to do a week in the snow beforehand. I realise this is right on the tail end of the season and hence is a bit marginal but was wondering what was my best bet for around this time?

I'm certainly not expecting mad powder but good odds (ie 80%+) for usable groomed runs is fine by me. Being used to some pretty crappy Australian seasons I'm not exactly a snob.

A couple of people have independently recommended Niseko , and looking at last years reports they still had coverage up till the end of April. Is this the best bet? Are there alternatives?

And finally to throw something else into the mix, I also want to have a go at snowkiting and was wondering if that would open up any additional opportunities (with regards to being able to play around for a week in areas that would not traditionally be usable by regular ski/board). I'm an intermediate level kiteboarder so am happy to bank on picking it up reasonably quickly.

each year i usually only stay in Niseko until first week of April, and unless you're already nearby, i probably would recommend going elsewhere.

by late March/April its frozen ice in the morning from the previous day's melt, or sloppy wet grippy slush melting very fast in the heat in the afternoon. there's about 30 minutes in between that is ok to ski (i am quite a snow snob tho, spoiled from many seasons). there is still some extremely rare fresh snow falling, but often rain with it so I wouldn't rely on it. additionally most of the shops, restaurants, and accommodation in Hirafu close up on last day of march and it almost becomes a ghost town.

ive been keeping an eye out for where to go late season instead of going home. but even by mid march the main island resorts further south (ie, warmer) report lots of rain /etc.

as suggested I'd probably be looking for some elevation and hoping that it holds onto the cold long enough. Niseko is only about 500m above sea level.

ive only ski kited (hella fun) in Colorado on a frozen lake. i haven't exactly been keeping an eye out, but ive not noticed any area large enough and frozen enough nearby to do it. but ive seen many an open field of powder and often wonder if a ski kite is powerful enough to get my ass out of the deep snow. sometimes its definitely windy enough! probably get chased away by some farmer on a skidoo tho. wonder what he is protecting, is he farming skidoos?

youve rekindled my interest tho, this season i think i'll try looking around.

Kagura in Yuzawa still has snow the 2nd week of April. Last year I went April 6th and lucked out with an awesome powder day.....snowed overnight and then the clouds opened to bluebird conditions with untouched powder all over the top forestry course. Of course I could easily have got iced crud or wet cement that time of year but if u are happy to just have a slide around then the snow is there and any unexpected snowfall is an uber bonus. Where is ur wedding going to be?

I think you'll struggle to find snow kiting in Japan in April. Most folks do it on flat land and there won't be many places with snow on them by then.

Even if there's a plateau up on the mountain, its going to be really difficult to predict the wind and know what gear to take all the way up there.

There are people who do it mid-season for anyone who wants to try.

Hey folks, thanks for the advice.

@TubbyBeaverinho - wedding is 18th April so hoping to ski 11th - 17th. And yeah, not looking for freshies but would be quite happy with existing snow on the ground.

Based on feedback I'll have another search tonight for high elevation resorts, but might just can the whole idea :(

• 2 months later...