Someone bought me some shigaraki pottery for my birthday and have grown to really love it buying a few more pieces myself.

This is my new one, small light inside for a lovely effect.

Kawaii deshou?

ythk0611a.jpg

The sinks in our house are made from Shigaraki. We've got two big ones set in a big wooden counter as vanities and another one in the toilet. The big ones are 35 or 40cm and the little one 20cm. We bought them in Shigaraki itself which is kind of in between Ikoma and Nagoya. I think it was 40,000 for the three, which is probably cheaper than normal sinks made by Toto. Bizen pottery is probably my favourite though. If we have any money left when our kids are grown up, I might start buying some then. It would only get destroyed at the moment.

Yes lots of owls. My neighbour has a load of that stuff starting in the porch with an umbrella pot and other things lined up on the window.

I do like it, even though they go a bit over the top.

Does stuff have to come from that town to be labelled this?

You can get the sinks on Rakuten where they are listed at full price but with free postage. In Shigaraki they gave us "50% off" without haggling but god knows what the real price is, especially with building materials. They are all priced in a crazy way with big discounts assumed.

The sinks themselves are just big bowls with a plumbing connector in the bottom. They are lovely, of course, but shouldn't be particularly costly to make compared to ordinary donburi. Just for comparison purposes, folks doing up a place for buy to let in the UK may only spend two to three hundred quid for a new bath, washbasin and toilet. That's much bigger stuff for the same kind of money as our three sinks.

Anyway, the little one we have is very similar to this

tr-1088-1.jpg

We also have the same tap, except without that black thing its sitting on. The other toilet in our house is a narrow room where we could only squeeze in the narrowest Toto wall sink and that cost slightly more online than the combo in the photo above. That's not something I would have assumed without seeing the actual prices.

There are a lot of owls in Shigaraki but thousands of tanuki in all different sizes. It looked like they are the star product.

Get yourself over there Rach, it's not that far from you. Neither is Bizen, going the other way from Kobe. Its also close to Hattoji, one of them "International Villa" hostel things they have in Okayama. That ones in an old farmhouse and is really nice. Go before it gets really cold would be my advice.

There's also a pottery town whose name escapes me in north east Aichi just off that new bypass highway that links Toyota City to the Chuo. I took my parents to the museum there once when we had some time to kill on the way to the new Nagoya airport.

I'm sure there'll be a soba shop eager for your custom as well. When we went to Shigaraki, we just did our shopping and left. Our eldest was three and the missus was five months into #2. I can remember it all though because it was on the way back from Christmas with friends. We stayed an extra night in a log cabin on a golf course nearby. It was really nice and well cheap. One night in a pension kind of money.

1_DSC_7372.jpg