This story reblogged from 'Miss Snow It All' of the Brisbane Times Traveller section. If you have a half hour to spare grab your self a coffee and maybe a box of tissues and follow this brilliantly complied compelling and tragic story. Make sure you watch the video at the end. sniffle

The New York Times published the most heart-wrenching and powerful interactive online story titled Snow Fall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek that took the lives of fellow snow media comrades, an international competition judge and a resort marketer, devastating the world's ski industry community. The truth is if happens to experienced, trained and avalanche-savvy skiers and snowboarders who knew or should have known better, then it could happen to you.

Just finished the read/interactive part, about to start the documentary. Great write up & story. Only if one person would have spoke up about conditions, the others would have more than likely followed. Everyone was thinking it, but nobody wanted to be the one that brought down the group.

I personally keep meaning to learn more about backcountry and avalanches, but always put it off. I think everyone that ducks behind ropes should have some general knowledge of what they are getting into. Their story is a bit more than 'ducking ropes', but the threat is there regardless.

Good post, great article.

Just to show that even those mighty beings in the know.....are still absolute fu##ing tools.

Not saying something because of pride....that's worse than ignorance

First thing every trip should be that you have a buddy, and you discuss the risks as a group. Simple works method statements or risk assessments should be done for each days skiing/riding back country.

It sounds silly comparing a days adventure to working on a construction site, but it's well worth the 5 minutes it takes to address the risks.

Wow...Sobering. And somewhat familiar to an experience I had in a completely different sport where we lost someone in our party. Reading through this article that's all I could think of...even after all these years. Be safe, be smart.