Not the fab telly programme, but the dudes who live next door (or thereabouts).

Very big neighbourly problems here in the UK seem to be: fences and walls. A heated 'war' going on in my road at the moment over a dividing wall. One neighbour is fine with it, the other not and wants it re-doing. Cue arguments about who pays for it.

What about in Japan?

That is a big problem here in Japan too which is why all plots of land have boundary markers to stop that exact problem.

But sometimes people stick a fence up maybe just a cm or two beyond the centre line and you have a big problem going on then.

Same thing happens occasionally in Oz. Some peeps seem to have a fixation with every minute mm of accuracy in position of fences.

Luckily, our neighbour is a very wonderful lady, with no hangups about theoretical Vs actual location of dividing fence.

My response to "fixated" neighbours would be "life? - get one!"

Same thing happens occasionally in Oz. Some peeps seem to have a fixation with every minute mm of accuracy in position of fences.

Luckily, our neighbour is a very wonderful lady, with no hangups about theoretical Vs actual location of dividing fence.

My response to "fixated" neighbours would be "life? - get one!"

It's not really a major issue a bit here or there, but it can cause problems when you want to sell if it is not right.

Big problem often is to who pays for any repairs and that kind of thing.

I remember my parents had a real problem with that with an old neighbour. They weren't interested in fixing the really bad conditions fence that they shared, my parents really wanted to do something about it.

Big problem often is to who pays for any repairs and that kind of thing.

I remember my parents had a real problem with that with an old neighbour. They weren't interested in fixing the really bad conditions fence that they shared, my parents really wanted to do something about it.

Another one is shading and overgrown trees, esp. conifers. The most notorious is a kind of cypress (hinoki etc.) called a leylandii that grows super fast.

Japanese people don't bother anything like as much with their gardens, so its not as much a problem here. They don't add to the (monetary) value of your house either, which might be a factor.

I think British people like to fence theirs in so they can sit in the garden without the neighbours watching or bothering them. My old man only put a fence up when he retired and started sitting in ours.

I've had mates in rental places in Japan come home to find all their basil or whatever ripped out and the tree that shaded their window chopped down by the landlord because the neighbour complained about mosquitoes.

It is the landlord's tree though, so he can cut it out if he so desires.

I've noticed since moving to Sapporo that although houses tend to have gardens ba lot more, very rarely do they have dividing fences. I wondered wtf that was all about....I thought perhaps the snow damaged them too much for people to care about. If I buy a house that has a garden, I certainly would want some sort of fence up for a little privacy

Me too.

Seems odd that they don't.

Do people sit out in their gardens though?

I don't think as much as we would and that may be the key, but there are a lot of garden sets outside so they must do it sometimes

It is the landlord's tree though, so he can cut it out if he so desires.

The point was that he cut it to please/keep in with the neighbours. I don't think his tenants were happy.

If you want to sit in a garden in Japan, shade is much more important than it is in the UK. The sun can be unbearable otherwise. The lack of long summer evenings doesn't help either.

My in-laws place at sea level is a nice temperature in summer for sitting outside after dark, but they have a carp pond and gazillions of mosquitoes. At least one bite a minute. Obviously its much more pleasant during the day in cooler parts of Japan like the mountains and Hokkaido, where there are also fewer or no mosquitoes.

We've only got one house near us and I screened out our view of it with deciduous trees. They are on the south side, so we get a bit of shade and greenery, then the leaves fall and let the winter sun through. They're 5m high, but still need to be tied up for winter, which is a pain and kind of coincides with the maple I planted hitting peak autumn colour.

That is a big problem here in Japan too which is why all plots of land have boundary markers to stop that exact problem.

But sometimes people stick a fence up maybe just a cm or two beyond the centre line and you have a big problem going on then.

How does that work, snowdude?

It is a line that you can do anything on 'your side' of?

There's no things like shared walls here?

How does that work, snowdude?

It is a line that you can do anything on 'your side' of?

There's no things like shared walls here?

There is a plastic square peg about an inch and a half square in each corner of each plot of land.

Basically you can put up a fence set trees or whatever up to the line but for example if your fence over hangs the line or you plant trees that as they grow they go beyond the centre line then that would be a big no no.

There is no actual visible line just the pegs so as a result sometimes a fence or wall gets built beyond the boundary as the pegs tend to get covered up.

But all land designed for building on has these markers as do all fields. All my fields have these markers.

Where I am getting my house built in Kobuchisawa in the middle of nowhere all the houses have a 4 metre gap between so a few cm pertrution most probably the neighbours will not complain, but in Tokyo where on average the gap between houses is only 50cm then even 1cm would be a big deal.

Dont know how it works in the country side but tje same as Tokyo or Kofu I guess if you want to put a fence up on the centre line then you can ask if your neighbour will contribute if you put it up in your side then not possible to ask for money.

Also if you put it up in your side then the fence maintenace is down to you.

This sometimes creates a problem when a fence is neglected by a neighbour and the other neighbour wants it to be renewed but has no power to do anything as it is noy in their property.

Where I am getting my house built in Kobuchisawa in the middle of nowhere all the houses have a 4 metre gap between so a few cm pertrution most probably the neighbours will not complain, but in Tokyo where on average the gap between houses is only 50cm then even 1cm would be a big deal.

Yikes, that does not sound very pleasing!

Yikes, that does not sound very pleasing!

My mother in laws house in Tokyo is exactly like that. I can just get down one side and the other side I actually can not get between the two houses.

Funny isn't it.

The land there probably costs a fortune too.

If you don't need the city for work or whatever, general quality of life can be so so much better and cheaper in countryside areas.

I know where I'd rather live.

In Kutchan there were very few fences on property boundaries as few beyond reinforced concrete can weather the deep snows of winter. The big issue is where your snow sheds off your house. If any of it sheds onto a neighbours property it's very uncool.

In Kutchan there were very few fences on property boundaries as few beyond reinforced concrete can weather the deep snows of winter. The big issue is where your snow sheds off your house. If any of it sheds onto a neighbours property it's very uncool.

Are there any regulations for that, like a certain amount of space for snow if you have it falling off naturally?