British Soldier Ambushed and Beheaded on the streets of London

A man killed in a suspected terrorist attack in south-east London was a member of the armed forces, senior Whitehall sources have confirmed.

Two men spent the night under arrest in hospital as counter-terrorism police investigate the killing in Woolwich.

One man - his hands covered in blood- was filmed by a passer-by, saying he carried out the attack because British soldiers killed Muslims every day.

The PM is to chair a Cobra emergency response committee later.

David Cameron flew back from France yesterday to lead the government response. The meeting will be attended by politicians, the UK's most senior police officer and the new head of MI5.

Meanwhile, security has been increased at barracks across London.

The two suspects were shot and wounded by police after the attack - which took place in John Wilson Street, the A205, at 14:20 BST.

One is in a serious condition while the other is also being treated for injuries.

_67764726_woolwich.jpgThis man was photographed brandishing a knife and speaking to a woman at the scene

Eyewitnesses say the victim was hacked to death by two men shouting Islamist slogans.

The men made no attempt to flee and encouraged people to take pictures of them and their victim.

One of the men was filmed wielding a bloodied meat cleaver and making political statements.

"I apologise that women have had to witness this today, but in our land our women have to see the same," he said.

"You people will never be safe. Remove your government, they don't care about you."

The other was pictured holding a knife and speaking to a woman at the scene.

The Daily Telegraph says it has spoken to the woma

According to the paper, Cub Scout leader Ingrid Loyau-Kennett asked him: "Would you like to give me what you have in your hands?"

"He was covered with blood," she said. "I thought I had better talk to him before he starts attacking somebody else."

She says the suspect told her the dead man was a British soldier, adding: "I killed him because he kills Muslims over there and I am fed up that people kill Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan."

A vehicle believed to be involved in the incident has been towed away from the scene - it is thought the victim may have been hit by the car before he was attacked.

The Muslim Council of Britain said the murder was "a truly barbaric act that has no basis in Islam and we condemn this unreservedly".

Meanwhile, two men have been arrested after separate attacks on mosques.

A 43-year-old was held in custody on Wednesday night suspected of attempted arson after reportedly walking into a mosque holding a knife in Braintree, Essex.

Another man was arrested in Gillingham on suspicion of racially aggravated criminal damage as around 250 supporters of the English Defence League gathered in Woolwich and clashed with police.

At a press conference with French President Francois Hollande in Paris, Mr Cameron said Britain would "never buckle" in the face of terror attacks.

"People across Britain, people in every community, I believe, will utterly condemn this attack," said Mr Cameron, who was previously planning to stay in Paris on Wednesday night.

Met Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe, MI5 director general Andrew Parker, Home Secretary Theresa May, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond and Mayor of London Boris Johnson are among those expected to attend Thursday morning's Cobra meeting.

Meanwhile, armed forces personnel based in London and elsewhere have been told to be more vigilant.

That is on top of the extra precautions now being taken at London's 10 or so main barracks.

BBC defence correspondent Caroline Wyatt said that, since British forces intervened in Iraq and Afghanistan, they and their families have been well aware they might be targets at home.

At least two plots by Islamic extremists to kill soldiers in the UK have been foiled in recent years.

Lots of predictable hate and vitriol being outpoured on Twatter and Faceplant. Actually dunno for sure if the victim was beheaded, I haven't read that in any official news stories, but its been mentioned quite a lot on FB. Seems the 2 guys run the soldier over before stabbing him multiple times

From the video footage I've seen it's all pretty strange. A guy is holding a kitchen knife and a meat cleaver both covered in blood. The body of the victim is on the road in the background. It doesn't appear as though his head has been severed although it's difficult to tell from the angle of the footage I saw. There are people walking straight past the guy whilst he is talking to the person filming him almost like nothing has happened. Would you walk close to someone holding a knife and cleaver covered in blood with a dead body just metres away? The guy speaks with a completely english accent (as far as I can tell). A horrific thing to happen. I know one thing for sure, I wouldn't want to be a muslim in the UK over the next few days!

The thing is it's not like someone getting stabbed to death is that unusual in the UK is it? From what I've heard it's a pretty common occurrence up in Scotland! But because these guys are muslim and have carried on with some ridiculous political rhetoric it's all going to take on crazy proportions and cause fear and tensions way beyond the act of a single murder. That is what terrorism is all about though I guess.

The thing is it's not like someone getting stabbed to death is that unusual in the UK is it? From what I've heard it's a pretty common occurrence up in Scotland! But because these guys are muslim and have carried on with some ridiculous political rhetoric it's all going to take on crazy proportions and cause fear and tensions way beyond the act of a single murder. That is what terrorism is all about though I guess.

People get stabbed but stabbed to death isnt THAT common.

as GN alludes to, its only terrorism because its a muslim guy doing it. If it was a catholic shouting "glory be to God" as he hacked the guy up, he'd just be labelled a nutcase.

as GN alludes to, its only terrorism because its a muslim guy doing it. If it was a catholic shouting "glory be to God" as he hacked the guy up, he'd just be labelled a nutcase.

Doesn't "terrorism" by definition have to be directed against civilians?

I guess the poor fellow was not on duty at the time, but as far as I understand, he was attacked because he was in the military.

(Not that that detracts from the horribleness of the crime.)

"By Allah we swear by the almighty Allah and we will never stop fighting you until you leave us alone."

Fighting you???

Sneaking up on a guy, two on one is not called a fight where I come from but an act of snivelling cowards.

Terrorist or no terrorist.

• Like 1

They run him over first to incapacitate him....he didn't even get to put up a fight......bastards. What goes around comes around....prison isn't likely to be a safe haven for them

As horrible as it was and as despicable as they are, living in a democracy means they are entitled to those things as much as anyone else. If we start picking and choosing who gets what, before you know it we are living in a tightly controlled, fascist like Police state.

Fine if you happen to be flavour of the month with whatever political wind is blowing through....a bit shit of you find yourself on the other side frantically pissing into that wind

In clear cut (pardon the pun) cases like this only ... I mean.

A very slippery slope. I was outraged too but recognise that if we want to have a democracy then we can't be applying laws differently.....everyone has to get a fair crack of the whip. It's not a perfect system, but IMO it's the best we currently have. To start slip sliding on "clear cut" cases is the thin end of a dangerously long and thick wedge