Just watching the News reports of this and cannot help but feel sick to the stomach at the devastation, yet overjoyed at the stories of survival.

Just watching the News reports of this and cannot help but feel sick to the stomach at the devastation, yet overjoyed at the stories of survival.

Yes it sure is a sad situation, lives destroyed in seconds by mother nature.

Thing is I think the building practices have a lot to do with it.

Most of the houses are made from wood, which are never going to with stand a Tornado.

It makes you wonder can they not build the houses from brick or concrete or steel frames or something that would maybe have better resistance, especially as these are not in earthquake zones.

According to Hodo Station, that same town got hit by a big tornado in 1999, and everything was rebuilt to be more tornado resistant. I think for houses they just concentrate on building a storm shelter, and expect the house itself to be a loss in a tornado. The school was built with all sorts of tornado proofing measures, which probably kept the death toll down, but obviously not enough. I imagine it will be rebuilt even stronger for next time.

In general, I expect Oklahoma and nearby states know how to build for tornadoes, as much as can be done. They have a lot of experience with them.