Foreigners, hey.

What equivalent words to gaijin in other countries?

Interested to know if they are generally offensive or not too, regardless of tone and usage.

In the UK, friend of mine insists 'Paki' is not meant to be offensive, but can't help think it is.

"Alien" is pretty rude IMO.....it implies u aren't even from this planet!!

In Scotland "Sassenach" is used for English people, it's the Gaelic for "Saxon". It's usually used only in fun

Weigook in kankoku

And i remember going to uni with a dude from Hong Kong (actually and in truth, he was from Malaysia, no idea why he was telling me a cantonese slang word for white dudes instead of a malay one but for the sake of the brief anecdote i had to make him from Hong kong so it made sense... but then honesty gets the better of me..). who laughed off the whole chink thing by pointing out that all white guys are called gwailo (ghost people) where he's (not) from.

Oh, and in Germany they were called (ScheiBe) Assie (which is short for Auslander).

Gwai Lo

Is a chinese term for foreigners (white)

The term means white ghost I think I haven't been insulted by the term I find it funny.

I have been called a monkey by Chinese people before and that was meant to be insulting but again I can't see the resemblance

Haha was just thinking that.

My grandfather, bless him, his favourite was "blackie". He meant it in a totally friendly and non insulting way of course. ;)