Hi There,

I know the 2014 season is a long way off (missed out on a northern hemisphere trip this year) but it looks like we’re off to Japan again at the end of December this year.

Unfortunately due to that inconvenient thing called work we'll need to head over during the xmas break to make the most of time off.

Basically the question i have for everyone is where do you think will be best at this time of year?

A few years ago we had a great time heading over for xmas and managed to board quite a few different resorts (Nesiko, Moiwa, Asahidake, Furano, Hokoda san to name the main ones) but with this trip being a bit shorter (December 21 - January 15ish) we're really hoping to make the most of it.

This time we'll have a car i think so we plan to try and check out a lot of the smaller resorts and avoid the circus at Niseko if possible.

Any thoughts/pointers etc. would be greatly appreciated. As it stands we really have no plans as yet except maybe hang around Niseko for the first week and take it from there

Thanks all,

Tim

Gee Tim

You have been more places than me so I can't give you advice apart from what you have already deduced Niseko at Xmas/ New Years has never let me down

I reckon Japan will be crawling with Aussies next season year due to the Dollar/Yen and I would be happy to find a small hill somewhere and hang there but Niseko always delivers

you seem to have covered the main Hokkaido ones....ever thought of hitting Honshu? End of December can be a risk mind you. Rusutsu, Sapporo teine....Kiroro is another place in Hokkaido that gets good reviews (I haven't actually been to Kiroro)

I'd say go to Hokkaido. There have been a few seasons where you would have been skunked in Nagano/Niigata if you came around December 21st. Of course, by the new year things have usually kicked off nicely in those areas. You could always start in Hokkaido and then do Honshu at the end of your trip. You'd only lose 1 day off the snow if you travelled and you could send all your gear by takkyubin (delivery service) from your hotel in Hokkaido to your hotel in Honshu.

Thanks heaps for the comments everyone!!

I think i agree with you Black Mountain start further up north. I guess the question is where. We are still thinking Niseko (as you said seemore its generally pretty reliable) to start but maybe to Kurodake prior to new years once we find our powderlegs. I noticed the cable car opens in November at Kurodake, is this a regulat thing or was the season just gone an early starter?

I would definatly consider going back to Honshu TubbyB but probably near the end of the trip and just go where ther snow is. Havent spent a heap of time on honshu but super keen to check it out!!

Kurodake often opens in November but just be aware it's not really much of a ski resort. There's a ropeway similar to Asahidake and a small lift above that. The terrain around the little lift is very tame. From the top though you can climb up to the peak. Like Asahidake it's seriously cold up top and you're entering backcountry terrain so will need an experienced group with full avi gear. You need to be careful if you intend on skiing all the way back out to the base as there's lots of very dangerous cliff bands in the valley. Unless you're seriously into backcountry I wouldn't suggest heading to Kurodake but if you do I'd advise getting a guide. For spectacular backcountry touring I'd suggest Tokachidake near Furano instead of Kurodake.

As Tubby suggests if you haven't been to Rusutsu yet that's definitely worth a day or two. And as you can see in Mikepow's thread Kiroro receives crazy amounts of powder. It's higher base than Niseko means that there's often a really good cover there even quite early in the season. And Sapporo Kokusai is another one nearby that has a relatively high base and gets huge amounts of snow. Rusutsu, Kiroro and Kokusai are all possible as day trips from Niseko.

I need to get to Rusutsu next season. seemore told me.

;)

No it's rubbish I don't know why anyone would go there unless of course you have very young children and like Merry go rounds

Looks like i might have to go check out the merry go round this year then.

Thanks for the heads up GoNative, Kurodake was on the hit list last time but due to the mid winter maintenance shut down we missed out by only a matter of days in the end. If we get a chance id like to tackle it with a guide for the first day or so to get a feel for the place and the conditions. I was hoping the top section was a little steeper than it sounds but i guess we'll just see how things pan out.

As for Tokachidake last time we went up their the visibility was average at best so didnt get to really appreciate the area as much as we could of but maybe its a good reason to try that one again!

I didnt realise Kioro had the extra elevation on Niseko so the others mentioned will defiantly form a good backbone to the trip. I really need to chill with over 8 months to go and the australian season only 2 months away!

Kurodake is definately not a ski resort. Its BC with a bit of a helping hand as GN said. I experienced the coldest temps of my trip there, -21 at base level, no idea how cold at the top. Having said that it is in my opinion the most beautiful place in hokkaido.

As stated rusutsu is a circus,a small hill set up for families.

And I am definitely not going to be there from the 4-21 of Feb as it would be a complete waste of time

I heard that it was particularly good between the 4th and 21st of Febraury.

Definitely the time to go there.