• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The policies enacted by her leadership of the government resulted in 1.5 mill being added to dole queue. She was the Prime minister when unemployment broke thru the 3 million mark for the first time i

Did the electricity go off in the late 70s? I only remember it happening when I was very little, about the time of three day week in 1974. That's just after the oil shock   GDP growth under Thatcher

I know little to nothing on the subject but did she not actually win 3 general elections?

Sounds like someone who was popular to me that.

121023012636-03-jimmy-savile-1023-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Schoolboy error by CNN yesterday.....ran the news of Thatcher's death with this picture...hahaha!! For the NSPCC as well, you couldn't make it up.

What did Maggie Thatcher and Jimmy Saville have in common?

They both liked to screw miners!! :bumtish: :lol:

She won her 2nd term on the back of winning the war in the Falklands, prior to that conflict her government was in disarray, public opinion about her was thru the floor thanks to the way she handled the miners and smashed the trade unions. God knows how she won the the 3rd........shows how weak the Labour party was at that time.

She was popular in Liverpool.

Actually, not really. ;)

People go on about her winning on the bac of the Falklands etc. But so what? She still won. 3 times. Fact is, loads of people thought she was ace, and still do.

Schoolboy error by CNN yesterday.....ran the news of Thatcher's death with this picture...hahaha!! For the NSPCC as well, you couldn't make it up.

Well, you could really couldn't you.

And someone almost very likely did that on purpose.

It's not odd for a paedo like Jimmy to do stuff like that. Be around kids and look like a saint, you know?

why is it pathetic?

although we can't actually tell if its in Glasgow or not.

and in fact it turns out that it isn't Glasgow at all, but Brixton in London

If some of those people had got themselves up off their arses and actually made an effort to make something of their lives, rather than simply complaining about their lot, they might have been thanking her.

:p

Wouldn't it be good thing if modern politicians had the same steely nerve and resolve in their convictions.

Love or loathe her, she certainly had balls. (or so the saying goes!)

Fixt for ya!

Was Thatcher a marmite love/hate kind of thing?

Not really because marmite has the same taste to everyone and its a case of whether you like it or not.

Thatcher's policies had very clear winners and losers. She put a million and a half on the dole, but sold some other people council houses on the cheap.

What did Maggie Thatcher and Jimmy Saville have in common?

They both liked to screw miners!! :bumtish: :lol:

She won her 2nd term on the back of winning the war in the Falklands, prior to that conflict her government was in disarray, public opinion about her was thru the floor thanks to the way she handled the miners and smashed the trade unions. God knows how she won the the 3rd........shows how weak the Labour party was at that time.

Haha quality photo! Not that inappropriate either.

Your basic message is right but your chronology is wrong in the battle with miners and other trade unions was during the second term.

The first term was all about a monetarist attempt at choking the money supply (through high interest rates) to suppress inflation. It was a big Hayek/Milton Friedman experiment.

It didn't work, caused a massive contraction in manufacturing, and put one and a half million on the dole. Their dole money became one of the main uses of North Sea Oil.

She was heading for a huge defeat until the Falklands. I don't like jingoist nationalism, so I don't think it was a good time for Britain. I think a lot of the flag waving was the product of the media, like Murdoch with The Sun.

All the privatisation and fight against the unions came in the second term. A lot of the hindsight analysis of Thatcherism as a preplanned ideology kind of rewrites history because neither of those policies were in the 1979 Manifesto. It was all made up as they went along, a lot of it pinching ideas from Reagan, just as Blair would later do with Clinton.

Possibly the best test of Thatcher and the Conservative Party's legacy and lasting popularity is Cameron's inability to win a majority at the last election. Normally a government as poor as Brown's would gift the opposition a massive majority. Blair's was 179 when he got in. After Labour's failings and the LibDems ridiculous abandonment of their manifesto, I think the most popular politician now is "none of the above". Since politics do matter, this is all a very sad development. It's the 1% who win.

She put a million and a half on the dole

...and put one and a half million on the dole

So, how many did 'she' put on the dole then?

How about the jobs 'she' created? Or are they just best conveniently ignored for the sake of the argument?

She put a million and a half on the dole

...and put one and a half million on the dole

So, how many did 'she' put on the dole then?

How about the jobs 'she' created? Or are they just best conveniently ignored for the sake of the argument?

seems clear to me.

She rid the country of a manufacturing base and replaced it with....................what? . She encouraged a thriving electronics industry to grow....that then disappeared when the tax breaks and levies ran out. The jobs she created were on the whole tertiary or service industry positions, with salaries that aren't exactly at the high end of the scale. She broke up every national industry going and sold them off, she didn't maximise the oil money by giving large tax breaks to the companies who were to make stupendous profits on drilling for the oil.

Then there was the financial sector. Financial jobs centred in 2 cities but mainly in London. We have all seen the ramifications of building economies on the shaky ground that is the financial industry.

The right-to-buy scheme of people's council houses seemed a good idea but what has happened is that there is now an acute shortage of affordable homes for rent as all the social housing stock has been sold off and is now owned by buy-to-let landlords who have pumped up rental fees. These landlords care only for the rent to be paid on time and care less about the standard of the houses which has, as a knock on effect help speed up the ghettoisation of many of Britain's suburbian areas.

Mr W....my bad about the timeframe :) I like your idea of "none of the above"

none-of-the-above.jpeg

It's amazing how people know that 'she' (personally) put 'one and a half million' on the dole. Not a few more or a few less?

Thing is, many people are so blinded by their hatred and contempt of Thatcher that they simply can't see or accept anything other than what they already believe.

If it wasn't so pathetic, I'd find it quite amusing actually seeing all these bitterheads getting all worked up about it and then celebrating the death of a very old woman.

The policies enacted by her leadership of the government resulted in 1.5 mill being added to dole queue. She was the Prime minister when unemployment broke thru the 3 million mark for the first time in the post war era. She was against sanctions to be imposed upon Apartheid South Africa and called Mandela, a future Nobel Peace Prize winner, a terrorist. She supported the overthrow of a popularly elected government in Chile by right wing dictator Pinochet, okayed the giving of arms to Saddam Hussein and gave her backing to the murderous regime of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia after the Vietnamese invaded and overthrew the regime. Not a very good looking track record there if you ask me

• Like 1