Well, it's been a long time coming but sometimes things more important than snowboarding get in the way ( :shifty: ). It's going to be a short review too because unfortunately I don't have the time to get into it too deeply. Feel free to ask any questions though and I'll do my best to answer.

med_gallery_10367_288_20342.jpg

Charmant has been a place that I've wanted to get to for quite some time now but for one reason or another it had been impossible until recently.

It's not a big place with only three lifts (only two were running while we were there because of too much snow) but it's rangy and there is a lot of terrain to cover with pretty long fail lines. I knew I would like it as soon as I arrived when I saw loads of powder boards and skis in the rental shop and a bunch of boarders standing around the base area with a bunch of homemade noboards and snow skates.

med_gallery_10367_288_592225.jpg

It's really an out of the way place at the end of a long drive down a super snowy valley. Without a car I don't think it's the kind of place that you'd want to go to.

med_gallery_10367_288_1317290.jpg

The ticket prices are really reasonable and if you look around you can get a pretty decent discount. We got 1000¥ off our day passes from our accommodation. Like most places they have half day morning and afternoon passes but they also have a lunch time pass that goes from 10-3 (If memory serves me right) which is a pretty unique type of pass.

med_gallery_10367_288_663655.jpg

I like it and I would certainly go back but it's a hell of a long way from where I live!

med_gallery_10367_288_1358204.jpg

**** me that looks proper deep! ;) Good work dude!

Yeah, they had broken 6m just before I got there. I think it was 4.5m at the base. The snow walls along the road on the way up were crazy. It also snowed the whole time we were there, about 60cms in two days.

The weather was insane near the sea of japan. It was rainy, windy, snowy, thunder and lightning, sunny and hailing on a 20 minute cycle. There was also some really serious waves with 20 foot faces... it's certainly a place where hardy people live.

I think I said that for like 5 seasons in a row. It's got a really local feel to it and it's not really easy to flesh out places to stay. I was talking to some locals who told me that it can get really busy at times as well because there aren't really any other options nearby. I found it a little hard to believe but I imagine it would be a nightmare with lots of people.

I've been a few times, but not for about seven or eight years. My wife got concussed once on the jump at the bottom.

Basically, its one main covered quad up the guts. about 500 vert in one ride. From the top it fans out on both sides with some fun microterrain. They never used to have any ropes at all, which is great obviously, but also indicates that its not steep enough to slide. Some bits may touch 30 degrees, but its mostly closer to 20 even straight down the lift line.

Like BM said, a lot of cool locals and some friendly people. The first time we went, the people from the (freestyle) ski school got talking to us and they ended up guiding us round the less touched parts of the hill. They used to write a blog that was mainly just big photos of people riding deep stuff with "PAU! PAU!" in massive letters. Off the scale on the cool factor.

Its also just about Japan's snowiest resort.

Riding pow is much more popular with Japanese people than it was when we used to go, so maybe it gets a bit busier now. Unless you're coming from Kansai on the Hokuriku, the roads make it much more out of the way than other resorts, even though its just on the back side of the old Arai. That should seriously limit the number of people going there.

Thanks Black Mountain.

I have been a few times over the years, it's an interesting place. And can be quite busy.

Definitely a different flavor to it than most skijo.

I think it's closer to Myoko, especially if you take the expressway. That being said, I believe it's still about 1.5 hours from there.

The more I think about it the smaller it seems to me... funny that. Also, there is another thing I really don't like about the place. On the left side of the mountain (skiers right), there is a cat track that runs back and forth across the face of the mountain that sneaks up on you in a hurry. On more than one occasion I was letting my board run and dropped down onto it only to bounce off in the opposite direction.

I definitely had a great time there but that was because it was my birthday weekend and my wife and I stayed at a nice pension and ate out at a couple of great restaurants. Taken as a whole it was a really fun trip and nice to explore somewhere I'd never been before. The sea of Japan reminded me of the east coast of Canada (one of my favourite places in the world) but I rate the mountain as pretty average. Timing is everything though, isn't it ;)

Btw, the second and third photos I posted were off the back of the mountain. I'm not sure if you could even get out of there if you went down. There are no roads or anything in that direction, just a big river.