Masks!.....Silly Nilly Masks!

At least it hides some of the very bad dentistry in this country. Nothing wosre than seeing a pretty girl simile and gasping in horror at the mess inside her mouth

Good one....Onehunga!! Didn't think of that. Reminded me of the woman that came running up to me last week spouting my name and ready to just about hug me. She had one of those snug fit pollen masks on and I had no idea who she was. I had to tell her to take the mask off ... but still didn't remember who she was.. :lol: Actually, she was a customer I think but I'm still not sure.

As I was told, it is not so much to protect the wearer from germs, but to avoid spreading them to others. Either way, I believe them to be mostly ineffective.

Somehow, the gaijin wearing them look extra silly.

This^^

I think its ridiculous at the best of times but seeing Gaij wear them takes the biscuit!! they are always that weird kind of otaku Gaij anyway that have bought into integrating into Japanese society (not that society wants them to!). Peeps that don't seem to have foit in at home but have found their otaku niche over here. Kids in class wearing them as well.......I teach ENGLISH CONVERSATION!!!! How the hell am I gonna know what the you're saying if you are wearing a ridiculous piece of tissue paper on a rubber band around your f###ing mouth!!!

:angry:

(I've had a bad day at work....some mega rants on Facebook already....I'm on a roll)

I think they look totally stupid and no way would I be seen either alive or dead wearing one.

My wife and daughter sometimes wear them and I do tell them how stupid they look wearing them but they still go ahead and wear them.

Unless your a doctor or dentist or somewhere in that kind of envirnment I see no reason to wear them.

I dont really think they help anyway especially as most wear ill fitting masks that dont cover their face properly anyway.

Here's how I see it. BTW.. Tubby....love the rant. You should do more of it. :lol: I spend half my day looking at people and trying to figure out why they do things they do. That's all fine and fun but this mask thing really has me perplexed. I mean granted there are a lot of dim people wearing them because they've been instructed to but I also see individuals that I would not consider uninformed or irrational or lacking the basic common sense that tells all of us (foreigners) how rediculous it is. Do they actually assume to know something that the rest of the world is oblivious to? That alone would shame me to never put a mask on again.

Also, just take a few moments and watch some people who have them on.. They never leave the damned things alone. They're always adjusting, pinching, pulling them down, pulling them up...quite incessantly really. Even if they were an effective barrier (which I personally don't think they are) wouldn't all the touching nullify any protection? I find all this curiously interesting.

As it pertains to Japanese society.... I think masks are more of a symbol than anything else. And I tend to leave symbols for the symbol minded..

They're pretty handy during pollen season, though.

Have an annoying tendency to fog up one's glasses, but they do work.

I sometimes take allergy medicine for that, but if I don't have any handy, or don't want to risk induced drowsiness, I'm not too proud to don a mask.

(I'm beyond having an image to protect...)

Sure virus particles are probably going to get past the barrier, but the carrier - snot and spit in sneezes and coughs are going to be largely contained. It is also a clear warning to people, don't shake my hand (it's probably got germs on it) and keep your distance (less likely to spread the germs).

I've never used one.

But sometimes when I pick up a cold because some dingus coughed on me in the supermarket queue I wish other people did.

I have a bit of a problem with my immune system, and while I am fending stuff off ok at the moment, I will consider any measures necessary to stay healthy. I carry antibacterial wipes and antibacterial hand gel - and while they currently remain unopened I would use them if I thought it necessary or practical.

Also interesting to note that my local medical centre (in Perth) has a basket on the desk full of the little masks with a sign saying anyone with cold symptoms needs to put one on and sit in a chair at least 1m away from other patients. They must think it makes a difference.

Honestly, I do think they make a small difference. My sister is a nurse in Canada and they use them in hospitals, etc. When I'm sick and at work I sometimes wear one in the office because that is what we are supposed to do... I feel eyes burning into the back of my head when I'm sitting there sniffling without one. That is the only place I'll ever wear one though.

Even more ridiculous was the belief that gargling stops infection... looks like someone is finally waking up to that myth.

TOKYO —

According to Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare, last month, the number of influenza cases in the country exceeded 110,000.

Schools and facilities for the elderly across Japan have been pushing a traditional three-pronged attack against the flu virus. First, hand washing is a no-brainer (or at least it ought to be). Also, anyone who has been to Japan has probably experienced the country’s love of surgical masks.

The third line of defense, however, is rather unique to Japan: gargling. Although gargling is embraced worldwide as a soothing massage for throats sore from overuse or illness, in Japan it has been widely regarded for generations as a preventative measure against cold or flu viruses.

Here’s a

demonstration outlining the ministry’s previous policy regarding flu prevention, presented by some Power Rangers dancing to Japanese folk music.

However, this year in a surprising move, the ministry has officially removed gargling from its flu prevention campaign. A spokesperson said that there is “no clear evidence” of gargling’s effectiveness against catching influenza type illnesses.

Hiroyuki Sakai, director of the Sakai Clinic, gave more details saying, “The [flu] virus attaches itself to the mucous lining of the respiratory tract and enters the body in about 20 minutes. This means that you’d have to gargle every 20 minutes for it to provide adequate protection, which is unrealistic.”

Old habits die hard, though, so you can expect to see gargling continuing to be promoted by individual organizations such as the Silver Bells Careport (elderly center) in Tokyo who continues to ask that everyone gargles.

Doctors also point out that while gargling doesn’t prevent flu-type illnesses it does have benefits for the mucous lining in your throat.

According to Dr Sakai, “For conditions which make it easy to get a flu infection, a dry throat is the absolute worst. Gargling provides moisture to your throat giving it a normal state. Even though the virus sticks to it, it’s easy to wash away.”

I wore one once when we went on holiday during the that SARS scare a few years back, but that was the only time. I used to wear a carbon filter mask when I rode a road bike in the city, but that was for the pollution.

My missus wears the Japanese standard issue ones and thinks they help if she has a sore throat and stuff, so I don't stop her. I reckon they're not going to help you recover, but they may help stop the carrier spreading an infection. Since it might help me (!), I don't have a problem with other people wearing them.

My missus wears the Japanese standard issue ones and thinks they help if she has a sore throat and stuff, so I don't stop her.

They do help keep your nose and throat passages from drying out, by trapping in air moisture.. I've found they help suppress coughing for that reason.

Good points.

I know the people you mean with the otaku comment Tubby.

But nothing wrong with 'integrating' with society, especially if you are living in it. Without going overboard silly of course.