Where on the mainland can i find a ski resort that gets heaps of powder but is out of the norm. Done hakuba 3 times been to niseko. Now i want to find one those hidden gems. So if anyone knows of these hidden powder fields that rival niseko ane cortina please let me know.

How do i get to this place? Sounds prettyy awesome and do you know of realestate agent might be worth a look into starting a hostel or something. Do you know how much annual snow they get there and what is the average maximum snow depth?

A post from ippy with a single figure word count!! :omg: I might have to report this to the mods as clearly there's something amiss!!

Back to the OP, what about Charmant Hiuchi? Never been there myself but hear it's good! :thumbsup:

Myoko Kogen

Tohoku resorts like Geto Kogen in Iwate

Hachimantai Akita....haven't actually been to these two but I've heard good things about Geto.

Hakkoda up in Aomori....not really a resort....2 runs down, but everything else is there for the taking if you are experienced enough and know what you are doing.

Shiga Kogen gets great snow......numbers aren't as high as perhaps Hakuba or Niseko but due to its height it gets great quality.

Kagura in Yuzawa (Niigata).....gets great snow

Tenjindaira in Gunma.......awesome snow but to really enjoy it you need to know what you are doing. The resort itself is pretty dull, but there are lots of side/slack lines that lead back to (the worlds slowest) gondola

Nozawa Onsen gets good snow

You do realise that there is more than 1 resort on Hokkaido as well.

A post from ippy with a single figure word count!! :omg: I might have to report this to the mods as clearly there's something amiss!!

Back to the OP, what about Charmant Hiuchi? Never been there myself but hear it's good! :thumbsup:

he must be feeling unwell

How do i get to this place? Sounds prettyy awesome and do you know of realestate agent might be worth a look into starting a hostel or something. Do you know how much annual snow they get there and what is the average maximum snow depth?

Mt Granview is surrounded in a veil of secrecy, mid-week anyway. ;)

Just follow Black Mountain around ..... He IS a powder sniffing bloodhound. Gotta watch out for the crotch sniffing though....he's quite aggressive they say.........shoganai... :clap:

• Like 1

Just follow Black Mountain around ..... He IS a powder sniffing bloodhound. Gotta watch out for the crotch sniffing though....he's quite aggressive they say.........shoganai... :clap:

You have to take the rough with the smooth

Myoko Kogen

Tohoku resorts like Geto Kogen in Iwate

Hachimantai Akita....haven't actually been to these two but I've heard good things about Geto.

Hakkoda up in Aomori....not really a resort....2 runs down, but everything else is there for the taking if you are experienced enough and know what you are doing.

Shiga Kogen gets great snow......numbers aren't as high as perhaps Hakuba or Niseko but due to its height it gets great quality.

Kagura in Yuzawa (Niigata).....gets great snow

Tenjindaira in Gunma.......awesome snow but to really enjoy it you need to know what you are doing. The resort itself is pretty dull, but there are lots of side/slack lines that lead back to (the worlds slowest) gondola

Nozawa Onsen gets good snow

You do realise that there is more than 1 resort on Hokkaido as well.

I second this :thumbsup:

Ya....But..there are some who would consider that a win/win..... :)

Everyone considers it win / win (except my wife of course!). I wouldn't follow me anywhere anymore... I haven't been enjoying riding resorts as much this season.

I hear ya. I'm at 47 today and meh... I could almost take it or leave it. I haven't been here in years and the only reason I came today was because of less chance of it being packed. Oh well, the weather is nice so I'll just enjoy the views and cruise.

I think my resolution going forward is to hit up resorts that have almost no information about them in English. The bullshit I saw a couple of weeks ago in Myoko (and a bunch of other resorts this season) has convinced me that I don't want to ride in places that have lots of disrespectful assholes, who for the most part tend to be foreigners here for a short stay. I know this makes me sound like a pretentious prick but seriously, Japanese people aren't zoo animals to be poked and made fun of and rules are (usually) in place for a reason.

End rant/

• Like 1

I think my resolution going forward is to hit up resorts that have almost no information about them in English. The bullshit I saw a couple of weeks ago in Myoko (and a bunch of other resorts this season) has convinced me that I don't want to ride in places that have lots of disrespectful assholes, who for the most part tend to be foreigners here for a short stay. I know this makes me sound like a pretentious prick but seriously, Japanese people aren't zoo animals to be poked and made fun of and rules are (usually) in place for a reason.

End rant/

Haha....nice rant! Do tell the details :)

Nothing pretentious about that at all BM....I've noticed a similar trend at Hakuba, too. I actually had to yell at a guy a few weeks ago because I just couldn't let what he was doing slide. The thing that really pisses me off is the stigma that remains on us long after they have returned home. I feel infected by it. Sorry OP ... maybe this will lead to some epic POW somewhere unexpected.... ;)

Well, the whole 'zoo animals' comment comes from a company in Hakuba that has posted several pictures of and comments of Japanese dudes and dudettes crashed out during lunch breaks with captions like 'count the number of Japs taking naps' and 'bit of lunch then into a good old JAP NAP'. I'm just so sick and ****ing tired of seeing shit like that that I actually think I want to fight someone who makes that kind of comment (and I'm a lover, not a fighter). I know some people think that is an over-reaction but for me this is mad disrespect for my family, friends and people I care about. That's not the end of it though... I've been reading and seeing a lot more shit like that recently.

As for the breaking the rules bit... well, there are countless examples so far this year including near miss avalanches and skiers arguing and fighting with patrol who are only trying to remind people of the rules (and yes, they were going into super dangerous areas).