Weekend Accomodation Gouging

I've been frantically trying to book a place in Hakuba for this upcoming long weekend and have finally found three separate places to stay for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I know it's all part of the game of high season, low season and holiday rates but come on....A lot of places I checked were almost if not double their regular price for the Saturday. I guess people are paying but is there any other instance where the day of the week dictates a price increase of 80% to 100%..? Same goes for flights but that's all a scam, too. I just want to tell the entire industry to ...Knock it off with the scam!!

In my excitement I forgot how to spell ..Accommodation... :(

That sucks indeed but at least it kinda makes sense. Like getting seated at a table for two in a restaurant despite there being a booth available.

I always ask for the booth anyway..

Save the free tickets (assuming thats why you chose hakurba), and head somewhere funnier. :) Snows maybe on the horizon wed and friday, head to iiyama instead. Hell, you could probably score accomodation around the station and then just bus up. Or you could go to the hotel i stayed in at yudanaka (it honestly looks very empty) and get the bus up to shiga kogen, ryuoo and Takaifuji. Seems like a fun 3 day weekend.

No tickets Ippy.. I was looking around at quite a few of the resorts but, man....trying to book through Rakuten travel left pretty slim pickins. I'm driving so I'm pretty flexible but a lot of those resorts I've never been to and I don't like the idea of going around banging on doors for accommodation on a mid-season long weekend.

Well, if the shit hits the fan, my doors always open. This weekend ive got POSSIBLY a few people coming down, but maybes not. Theyve blown me off all season thus far. :) Ill billit you in chikuma if it gets rough. Bring bedding and you can pretty much stay regardless of whos already here.

Well, if the shit hits the fan, my doors always open. This weekend ive got POSSIBLY a few people coming down, but maybes not. Theyve blown me off all season thus far. :) Ill billit you in chikuma if it gets rough. Bring bedding and you can pretty much stay regardless of whos already here.

You're a gentleman and a scholar Ippy. Cheers, but I'll probably just stick with the less than desirable hostel in Hakuba. I'll save the excursion into unknown territory for a regular weekend. :wave:

Yes, and if you have kids, you have even a smaller window to fit into the school holidays.

This coming week, a quarter of the world's population will be on hols, no right minded hotel operator will let this escape him.

Make hay, make hay.

I dont have any nenkyu what with being dispatch. And if i take a day off FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER (including illness) i not only lose 11,000 yen for not working that day. But i also lose 10,000 yen for not completing my contract. So a day on the slopes midweek = 21,000 PLUS costs on day of the slopes. I love riding, but screw that. :)

PS. Just so its clear, i dont actually mind it that much. I dont take days off anyways unless i get a migraine, but since moving from the leopalace in konosu it seems to be pretty rare. Only had one, and it was just after new years and i was off anyways. Yay?!??! I signed the contract, ive signed two contracts previous with them, its not like im ignorant of the terms and conditions.