Tragically, one of the pioneers of snowboarding, Craig Kelly, was killed on Monday in an avalanche in British Columbia. For those of you not familiar with him, he was a four-time professional world champion and back-country guru. Basically, there's not a pro rider out there today who wasn't influenced by this man.

After retiring from professional snowboarding, he remained on the Burton team as a product tester as well as a back-country guide. He was killed, along with six others, while giving a mountain tour in British Columbia.

I thought some of you might want to know.

Ironically, Craig Kelly was a strong advocate of backcountry safety. Several pictures of him and quotes appear in the Canadian Avalanche Association's book "Freeriding in Avalanche Terrain". According to a recent Japanese magazine that covered his trip to Japan last year, he had the CAA's Level 1 qualification and was working towards Level 2.

It'll probably take a while to find out what happened, but it sounds like there were two groups on the hill. The fatalities were in the lower group. From what the interviewed CAA guy said, it sounds like the guys were found relatively quickly (which suggests beacons) but they couldn't be dug out in time.

Having so many victims on a guided trip certainly raises questions.

Over in the States, another pro called Tristan Picot died early this week at Jackson Hole from avalanche-induced injuries

http://www.transworldsnowboarding.com/snow/news/article/0,13009,405695,00.html

I hesitate to say this, but when a practitioner of a dangerous sport dies in the pursuit of their sport, it is isn't 'tragic'. That's hyperbole. Regrettable, sad, a bummer maybe.

And beacons - aren't they just a means of ensuring that your dead body is found that same season rather than next spring?

And, there's a saying about the best swimmers drowning...

I'd agree with the tragic definition- especially since the guy was a high-profile advocate for safe backcountry riding. I'm sure he wasn't knowingly putting his group at risk and this just shows how careful you potentially have to be.