i think using an ATM would get you the best rate bc you dont have to pay much for extra fees (only like 2 bucks for using the ATM). pretty sures theres a citibank atm at narita just after customs and you can use foreign cards (like those on the plus system) at post offices. use your credit card where you can (not many places- maybe hotel) and get out as much cash as you can at a time. japan's a cash-based society so you dont want to get stuck without dough.

I'm in similar circumstances and it has proven prudent to get most of the cash in your country of origin. cool.gif

Exchange rates are usually better at major banks or Amex. \:\)

Why waste valuable riding time looking for money?! confused.gif

Happy slidin'. \:D

SZ

Yeah - Japan is a hard place to get cash in. Been to Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong and they all have the ATM thing figured out. Kind of puzzles me over here. I recommend getting cash at Narita at an ATM there. I am pretty sure but there are on the same level as the arrival terminal. Use the credit card as much as possible. Quite a few hotels and some restaurants will take your credit card - Visa/Mastercard. As you will quickly find out - yen goes quickly over here. Y4,600 for a ticket, Y3,000+ for hotel, lunch Y800, etc. You can do the math. Hope you have a good visit.

I remember when the rate was something like 240 yen to the pound, then down to around 150, now it's somewhere around 190. Plays havoc with savings and sending cash home, etc mad.gif