Hey All,

So im in Tokyo at the moment and am in Japan for snow season. Working in Hukaba starting on the 14th of Dec.

Im a little confused. Im trying to get a pre paid sim. I have brought over my jailbroken and unlocked iphone4 and would like to get a Voice and Data sim card. This is proving to be almost impossible. The ones Ive found want to charge the equiv of $15 A DAY!

I have an ALIEN REG card and address in Hukuba.

What have others done? Dont know If I can live with out instant access to internet and social networking.

Cheers,

Nathan

Im in Tokyo at the moment so not sure about wifi, pretty sure there will be. but ive become totally accustomed to having it every where, its also really good for turning my phone into a GPS to help me get around.

My iphone4 is 3G. I really dont understand why its so hard here? Whats the thinking for restricting foreigners to hiring phones at the airport for outrages prices? Ive travelled allot thru Asia and honestly this is one of the most ridiculous phone situations I've ever experienced. It should just be easy and cant for the life of me figure out why its not!

I meant to say 3g or 3gs.....not G3...sorry. Basically, it seems to me that Japan couldn't give a shit about visitors convenience.

I bought...(entered a contract) for a mobile Softbank Ultra WiFi 4G so I could have my iPad and soon to be retired iPhone4 online via a pocket wifi. I've had it for a month. Not impressed so far.

So, the locals aren't much better off..really.

I bought...(entered a contract) for a mobile Softbank Ultra WiFi 4G so I could have my iPad and soon to be retired iPhone4 online via a pocket wifi. I've had it for a month. Not impressed so far.

They are if they avoid Softbank!

That was a bit silly really wasn't it Chriselle.

Yep....very silly. Downright idiotic actually. You being in Tokyo I think the 4G works as described but...down here on the fringe of civilization..(anything between Tokyo and Nagoya.. :rolleyes: ) forget about it. My only saving grace is that the other carriers mobile WiFi's aren't really any better.

• SnowJapan Admin

I just tried to pm you byhart but it would not send. Since the mods get weird about posting links I wont do that.......

You know what we get 'weirder' about?

Comments like that.

You might get your sarcastic point over (again), but you don't do yourself any favours with us.

(For the record, I am sending him the information).

GG......I had a precious moment a few weeks back. Softbank was shooting one of their currently running 4G LTE commercials down here in front of my house again....same place as the SMAP guys movie. I took some pictures and the softbank security were quick to inform me that it wasn't cool to take any photos. I was equally quick to tell them it wasn't cool to shoot 4G LTE commercials in a place they have no intention of ever having LTE service in......and I was sending the pictures with my complaint to Softbank.

:lol:

quality!! What was the reply?

Japan cares not a jot about the convenience of foreigners.....actually even of locals IF its not the way its done. For years no international mobile phone worked here, even the ones with International roaming, because Japan's government didn't sell the airwave rights (or whatever the tech term is for them) to foreign companies. Free Wi-Fi here is funny as well, places such as McDonalds etc provide free Wi-Fi but its not just a case of finding the password from staff and typing it in....nooo, you have to sign up for something else that will then send you an email that you can then say yes to.....or something as stupidly convoluted as that.......all I can say is WELCOME to JAPAN!! :D

:D

:lol:

quality!! What was the reply?

Japan cares not a jot about the convenience of foreigners.....actually even of locals IF its not the way its done. For years no international mobile phone worked here, even the ones with International roaming, because Japan's government didn't sell the airwave rights (or whatever the tech term is for them) to foreign companies. Free Wi-Fi here is funny as well, places such as McDonalds etc provide free Wi-Fi but its not just a case of finding the password from staff and typing it in....nooo, you have to sign up for something else that will then send you an email that you can then say yes to.....or something as stupidly convoluted as that.......all I can say is WELCOME to JAPAN!! :D

:D

Actually, the guys seemed to catch the irony and had a good chuckle about it but ultimately... security guys in Softbank windbreakers making about 10 bucks an hour are hardly the most effective department to raise complaints to. :sj-lol:

Japan has pretty much the most expensive data plans in the world so even on the cheapest plan it won't be cheap by international standards

That said, I thought there were some cheaper providers of prepaid sims who kind of piggyback on the docomo network.

We had to pay 3150 extra to switch to LTE when my missus got an Iphone a couple of weeks back.

It wasn't indicated anywhere in the shop and was mentioned when we were halfway through getting the phone with a "yoroshii desu ka?"

That was already 90 minutes after walking into the shop to buy something we'd already decided on. We have three kids to entertain, by the way.

There is no LTE service anywhere near where we live.

Japan has pretty much the most expensive data plans in the world so even on the cheapest plan it won't be cheap by international standards

That said, I thought there were some cheaper providers of prepaid sims who kind of piggyback on the docomo network.

We had to pay 3150 extra to switch to LTE when my missus got an Iphone a couple of weeks back.

It wasn't indicated anywhere in the shop and was mentioned when we were halfway through getting the phone with a "yoroshii desu ka?"

That was already 90 minutes after walking into the shop to buy something we'd already decided on. We have three kids to entertain, by the way.

There is no LTE service anywhere near where we live.

You're right in Hakuba, right? No, 4G around there according to the highly pathetic and pitiful Softback service map. Of course there is no 4G in Ito...but even in Mishima which is of fair size and where I work...there is no service yet except for one tiny little strip where nobody lives or works.. :angry: When I was sold this pocket WiFi they made a big announcement that Mishima will have 4G from early Nov. Nothing yet. Sagi !! I tell you SAGI !! (aka getting ripped off)

wait, so I just read all of that and it appears im screwed.

I dont really care if its not 4G, I dont care if its slower than the copper lines from 1940's that most of Australia's internet is run on.

I just want a sim card, with a local number I can give to people (girls) i meet and a way I can upload photos to Instagram to make all my friends back home insanely jealous.

I acutally went into softbank today they had a big sign in English 'We can solve your questions here-English speakers' I went up and asked "Eigo ga hanasemasuka" and they all shook their heads. I asked slowly 'pre paid sim card? And pointed to my iphone, they still shook their head.

So i guess I actually cant do this, You mean there is actually a market with a considerable amount of want to be buyers and no one is supplying this service? Crazyiness.