• SnowJapan Admin

Hi there

I have a question and thought I would ask people on here - for our upcoming updates, we want to be consistent as possible with the way we write down things like place names in romaji (ie. abc).

What do you think is the best way to write these, making it easy to understand and easy to pronounce -- without using symbols above the letters?

大台 (おおだい)

Odai

Ohdai

Oh-dai

Oudai

Ou-dai

大穴

Ohana

Oh-ana

Ouana

Ou-ana

奥羽 (おうう)

Ou

Ouu

Oh

I'm not showing any preference for any of this as would like to see feedback and what people think on the subject.

Thank you.

1) "Oh" to suggest dragging out the "o" sound. (At least the "h" might make someone pause while pronouncing the word to wonder, "why is that h there?") (And using "Oo" and "Ou" seems likely to lead to wildly wrong pronunciations by people unfamiliar with Japanese.)

2) Hyphen after the "h" when it is followed by a vowel, to separate it.

For example, if I see "Ohu," I want to say "O who." But "Oh-u" tells me to put the "u" into a separate syllable.

And yes, one might complain that "おお" and "おう" are both collapsed into "oh" this way, which is a loss of information and hence not ideal. But it seems a reasonable short-cut that leads people unfamiliar with Japanese to a somewhat correct pronunciation, while still signalling to those who do know Japanese that this is more than just "お," all without resorting to extra markings.

Anyway, just my thoughts, not that I'm any kind of transliteration expert.

1) "Oh" to suggest dragging out the "o" sound. (At least the "h" might make someone pause while pronouncing the word to wonder, "why is that h there?") (And using "Oo" and "Ou" seems likely to lead to wildly wrong pronunciations by people unfamiliar with Japanese.)

2) Hyphen after the "h" when it is followed by a vowel, to separate it.

For example, if I see "Ohu," I want to say "O who." But "Oh-u" tells me to put the "u" into a separate syllable.

And yes, one might complain that "おお" and "おう" are both collapsed into "oh" this way, which is a loss of information and hence not ideal. But it seems a reasonable short-cut that leads people unfamiliar with Japanese to a somewhat correct pronunciation, while still signalling to those who do know Japanese that this is more than just "お," all without resorting to extra markings.

Anyway, just my thoughts, not that I'm any kind of transliteration expert.

Sounds very reasonable to me that.

Clever man, Metabo Oyaji.

:cheers: