Restaurant tipping in Australia & Canada

Some comments here (the dudgeon -- not dungeon, btw, dungeons are downstairs :cool: ) appear motivated as much or more by simple stinginess as by commitment to some theoretically perfect society. And stinginess is despicable.

I would suggest that the employers who emply this racket are the 'stingy' ones - both to their employees and their customers.

Pies, no I don't tip at the 7-11. Staff there aren't taxed on the tips they don't get, and in general they're not making minimum wage.

It all sounds ever so complicated.

How do you know who is on minimum wage and who is not?

Do young Americans learn these things, in order to successfully grasp the concept of the tipping system?

And is the minimum wage the guideline that people go by? Surely there are more employees in the world - other than those working in restaurants - who are on this minimum wage.

If people are just getting a bit more than minimum wage, do they get less of a tip?

I'm genuinely interested, honest.

:friend:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I hope that the students I am teaching tip me when they get into a better university than expected.

I would suggest that the employers who emply this racket are the 'stingy' ones - both to their employees and their customers.

Often not merely stingy but actually thieves, indeed. But do you want to identify yourself with them?

Do young Americans learn these things, in order to successfully learn the tipping system?

Back in the day, yes. Now they just get the iTip app :laugh:

Often not merely stingy but actually thieves, indeed. But do you want to identify yourself with them?

No.

So are you implying then that in some ways the tipping culture carries on steaming on in part because people are afraid of appearing stingy?

Got to be laughing haven't they, the employers.

----

I'm actually far from stingy, I would probably say over-generous in some ways (probably due to the missus and her culture).

Does that mean I'll start tipping people back in the UK, where this silly practice is trying to be forced on people and 'become a custom', even if someone I don't know might think I'm stingy? (I think they smell).

Sure doesn't.

I don't like being told when to be generous, how to be generous and who to be generous to.

I'm kind of surprised that Americans seem to accept that.

Never been to America.

Worse than the employers are the tax collectors.

You furriners ain't got no idee just how crupt and unfair taxashun is in the US of A :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know the exact ins and outs of the US tax system, but a system where a person such as Mitt Romney earns tens of millions a year and pays about 15% tax on his income, and a restaurant staff being taxed on tips that they may or may not have received definitely seems screwed up to me.

I think everyone here kinda agrees!!

Why can't we set up our own Utopia where everyone is paid well, everyone is respectful of everyone else, no one is expected to work during first tracks unless they choose to, taxes are not wasted, it pukes down light and dry powder all night and the still sunshine follows from lift open to lift close... Ahhhhhhh :sigh:

I just find all the high dudgeon about tipping to be pretty amusing, coming from people who have lifestyles that let them enjoy what is, after all, one of the world's more elitist pastimes. If people can't afford to throw a couple of bucks to a waiter or waitress who's working for minimum wage, maybe they need to cut down on snow days.

Just not interested in perpetuating a culture where the employer adds a "gratuity" to the bill as a matter of course, and prints it on the bill. Whether the employee actually gets it or not is very much debatable.

Try looking up the term "gratuity" or "tip" -

Definition of GRATUITY

something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/

I note the words "voluntary" and "beyond obligation" ... both of which imply a degree of non-compulsion in the giving of the gratuity. Also note that the source is an American dictionary. I could have used an English one,. or an Australian one, both of which would have been much stronger in the emphasis of the voluntary nature of the payment and/or the need for there to have been exceptional service "above and beyond" what is the norm.