Cats & dogs! (And cows and pigs and chickens)

Friend just pointed me to the latest "China outrage" on the Daily Mail.

This time about eating dogs and cats.

What almost gets me as much as the subject itself is the outrage(ous) comments that people make after a news article.

Have you ever written a comment on a news site like this?

Of course being the Mail there's some proper disgust on show, it makes for an entertaining read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHTxbu5_fs

These disturbing images show dogs being cooked and served up as a meal in a grim Chinese tradition.

The animals are chopped up and cooked in front of diners - despite a growing anti-cruelty campaign.

A group of Chinese activists in Yulin City, Guangxi province, descended on the dog meat market campaigning against eating the animals.

Does dog get eaten in Japan at all?

----------

Yes well I'm a vegetarian and have been for 40 years. Our abbatoirs are disgusting places. It's only a matter of degree. Pigs are almost as intelligent as dogs. All killing animals is awful. Maybe some of the DM readers should eat no/less meat.

- Panda, Reading, UK, 26/6/2012 1:59

Very interesting that cows if they suffer from fear and prolonged pain at the point of death that will affect the texture and taste of the meat according to SAINSBURYS butcher...so they gave me a full refund on my woody roast beef joint last week. Slaughterhouses must be depressing places to work at. Chinese do not eat dogs generally...but they dont eat horses like Britain in WW2.

- Nathan Smith, UK, 26/6/2012 1:58

if people keep saying what the difference between dog and cow, will then whats the difference between human and cow ---------------------------------------------------- One is an animal and one isn't.

- Mark, UK, 26/6/2012 1:58

I believe some cultures are better than others and I believe in being compassionate to domesticated animals, especially ones bred to be human companions. What goes on in China disgusts me.

- Jude, USA, 26/6/2012 1:57

Anyone been to a commercial slaughterhouse recently and seen how the animals are treated? Bunch or hypocrites...

- Me, In the bushes with a torch, UK, 26/6/2012 1:57

lambs look cute too SO DO PIGGIES CHICKENS AND TURKEYS I COULD GO ON BUT YOU GET THE PICTURE we really must stop eating other inhabitants of this planet ITS THEIR HOME TOO THEY HAVE FEELINGS TOO YOU KNOW WE ARE ALL CANNIBALS

- DONT LIKE CAMILLA NEVER WILL, uk HOME OF FREE SPEECH?????, 26/6/2012 1:56

Theres some people saying "this article is disturbing, im trying to block it from my mind". If you bury your head in the sand and pretend this barbaric cruelty isnt happening then it certainly will continue. If you truely want to stop this cruelty then money to a charity that specializes in stopping the dog meat trade (this is what i do). Honestly, the cruelty these animals go through is disgusting. Asia, even throughout history to the present, has always had a disgraceful record of human rights abuses and animal cruelty. Its disturbing to think Asia is becoming more and more powerful in the world, thats why all the countries in Europe and also in America was solve our problems and to be the major superpowers in the world, for the good of both people and animals.

- Ryan, Belfast, Ireland, 26/6/2012 1:56

Cats and dogs are intelligent almost human it's disgusting to eat them - Dave newcastle , Ncle, 25/6/2012 16:31 +++++++++++++++Pigs are very intelligent animals but we still eat them.

- someone, Somewhere in Europe, 26/6/2012 1:56

Its probably the way they are treated and killed ie not stunned and killed humanely, it is meat but very very cruel. They have no regard for humans ie one child per family etc so how on earth will they respect a poor animal. Why do we trade with these people I have no idea. I try not to buy clothes from china etc ie bras from M&S etc but no doubt this laptop has components from china. Poor animals. Humans are very cruel.

- Angel, London, 26/6/2012 1:56

This is a difficult one. The culture in the east is different to ours. After all, we eat pigs - millions of us have bacon and egg for breakfast. DM reporting this is pointless as it achieves nothing.

- Bob, Bridport, 26/6/2012 1:56

What a hypocritical article. Factory farming in the UK is VERY CRUEL!!! Cows, pigs, chickens are kept in tiny cages, are fattened up so much that some cows can't stand anymore and break their legs. Chickens are debeaked without anaesthetic, cows can travel for hours in large vans all crammed in, some die on the way through dehydration.These animals never see daylight, never get to play. Who are we to judge them. It's about time people realised that the lovely packaged meat you see in Tesco was a live animal just like the dogs you see here and who also suffered in its life.I think we need to change our own practices before we start judging others. Aso, eating a dog is normal to them just like eating a cow is normal to us. A dog is not more important than a cow. Both are living creatures who can feel pain and sorrow. I have no problem with them eating dogs or with us eating cows, I just wish all these animals were treated well whilst alive.

- Sarah, London, 26/6/2012 1:56

I tried it once but never again. I ended up with a husky voice for weeks.

- Davey Boy, South Shields, EU., 26/6/2012 1:56

I've done business in China and eaten dog in a restaurant - why is it any different from eating any other animal? Anyone decrying this should sit and seriously think about the morals of rearing millions of animals - cows, pigs, chickens etc - simply so that we can kill and eat them. All that meat in the supermarket didn't die naturally having had a nice life running round in the sun in some farmyard you know.

- Serious Sam, West Sussex, 26/6/2012 1:56

This is disgusting! Why can't this nation evolve to an acceptable level?

- westover73, high wycombe, 26/6/2012 1:55

Wats wrong with eating dog? Isnt it the same as any other meat? Pork for example.

- resistance, manchester, 26/6/2012 1:55

The word hypocrite comes to mind.! Sure you will all be disgusted and comment about how bad this is...but will it stop you buying Chinese junk next time you are out shopping.? Didn't think so! How do you think they make stuff so cheap, they pay their workers such low wages it forces them to look for other ways to survive, and eating cats and dogs is it.

- Ian Kemp, Tooting.., 26/6/2012 1:55

Well done, DM! You managed to find a story about Chinese eating dog, whilst being extremely judgemental.

- Andrew, Winchester, 26/6/2012 1:55

Is This Buddhist?

- Mark, UK, 26/6/2012 1:55

it's their culture and let them live whatever way they want... we all eating meats including pig , chicken , lamp ... so no need be saints as all animals have same feelings and pains.

- Vibin, india, 26/6/2012 1:54

I am sure the chinese do not complain everytime the english eat black pudding........which if we recall is BLOOD.......We can stop complaining about every other country and thier traditions when we give up ours.

- andre edwards, Christchurch dorset, 26/6/2012 1:54

That's terrible, but normal for them. Seriously I have been thinking of becoming a veggie. I love meat, but we just don't know how our meat is prepared anymore, where it comes from, how the animals are kept. Look at the amount of take away and fast food restaurants that have opened in this country over the last 15 years. Meat is expensive in the supermarket, so how come you can get takeaway so cheap. It needs thinking about.

- Andy, Brighton, 26/6/2012 1:54

Barbaric , humans are the lowest form of life , totally unacceptable to subject any animal to this .

- alzie, somewhere , great Britain, 26/6/2012 1:54

Those who eat meat have no right to denounce Chinese who eat dog meat. If you think it is disturbing, you are just being hypocrites.

- Anonymous, London UK, 26/6/2012 1:54

Horrible dirty people how can they stoop so low.

- jimmyscott, newcastle upon tyne, 26/6/2012 1:54

Why do we think whatever we do in the West is acceptable globally but whatever they do in some other parts of the world is barbaric? What the difference is between eating dogs in China and eating pigs(cos that where pork and bacon and sausages come from) in the west. I have a pet dog that I care for like a child, but if they breed dogs for food in China, who are we to describe them as barbaric? That's food to them. We might as well stop eating any type of meat all together. And I mean everyone here. This is my opinion anyway, I don't expect it to be popular.

- Austin, Calgary, AB, Canada, 26/6/2012 1:54

Why do people sound so shocked. We have known and campaigned against this for years. Still people, who call themselves animal lovers, choose to holiday in places like China and Vietnam, boosting their economies and validating their cruelty ro animals. If you love animals help put a stop to this and stop spending money in this vile country.

- Trish, Leicester, England, 26/6/2012 1:53

I no longer eat ANY animal. It's all really monstrous when you think about it. Why would I be more upset over a dog than a pig? Because it's cuter and fluffier? Not the pig's fault. I don't value something by its looks; they all have a heart and feelings.

- Juliet, Washington State, USA, 26/6/2012 1:53

It's terrible to know people eat dogs and cats in other countries, but like many people have said, eating any kind of animal is quite horrible. I've seen horse meat being sold in France, kangaroo pie in Oz and camel stew in Egypt. I feel like a hypocrite for saying this, as I eat meat, but I wish they could at least treat the animals more humanely before they slaughter them.

- Anon, Out of Area, 26/6/2012 1:52

It's happening in the far East NOT the UK !

- Them , NOT me, 26/6/2012 1:52

The Chinese are disgusting.

- Doreen, USA, 26/6/2012 1:52

Meat is murder!

- Ripley, Freight Ship Nostromo, 26/6/2012 1:52

And yet the Chinese citizenry fight for human rights. Amazing.

- Misfit, California, USA, 26/6/2012 1:50

At least when you ask for a hot dog you know what you're going to get........................

- Hillbilly, West Country, 26/6/2012 1:50

How is this different from other forms of animal slaughter for the benefit of humans?

- Sarah, Cape Town, 26/6/2012 1:50

Yes all animals have feelings BUT dogs were bred to be our companions & have been for 1000's of years.Helping us guard flocks,helping us Hunt & protecting us from bigger predators.If you've never owned a dog you wouldn't understand.These poor animals in these photo's must be incredibly stressed.Pigs,Chickens etc(in this country anyway)don't sit in cages watching others killed,cooked & eaten in this way. China is a Barbaric country to its People,neighbours & animals on land & in the sea.They'll eat anything & currently most of our fish caught here is exported over there.They're bleeding the earth & sea dry.

- simon, lincoln, 26/6/2012 1:50

I'm happy I don't eat meat. This is horrible, a dog is a family member not a meal.

- linda, somewhere in Denmark., 26/6/2012 1:49

So so wrong!!!!!! How any of you can compare dogs with pigs is beyond me. There is a fundamental difference between house pets and animals that we eat to survive. When was the last time you had a cow in your front room playing fetch and bringing happiness to the whole family. Sick.......

- Kevin, Hampshire, 26/6/2012 1:49

I dont trust dogs very much. They have weird lips and they bite postmen. For those reasons I cant really get too upset over it all. It's not as if they contribute much is it.

- DAVE TANNER, PLYMOUTH, 26/6/2012 1:49

Hopefully the dogs don't know what is about to happen to them.....

- Mellors, South of the park, 26/6/2012 1:48

I now rid use to buy anything from china. This is appalling to anyone. Why are the government and international animal charities not stopping this immediately. I'm not a veggie but insist that any animal used for meat purposes should be reared correctly. China needs to be pulled into line immediately. Disgusting.

- dicky1980, Sheffield, 26/6/2012 1:48

Im a veggie, but if you eat meat there should be no difference between pigs which are clever animals and dogs. The chinese will eat anything due to all the famines they have suffered over the years. Its the cruelty i cannot abide, no need whatsoever. Poor poor dogs. You can see on their faces they know something is going to happen. Breaks my heart.

- tinkerbelle, lalaland, 26/6/2012 1:48

I don't give a fig what country this is that's totally irrelevant, judging by the top comments most of you don't even have a moral compass at all (I know I should expect this from the DM readers) The treatment of these highly intelligent animals is inhumane, the conditions are appalling - domestic dogs were bred to be trusting and loyal to humans - look how they are treated. Right Or wrong , its not rocket science - looks like most of you don't know your ankle from your elbow. I don't know what this world is coming to.

- Lorna, London, 26/6/2012 1:48

The fact they eat dog meat is not the problem in my mind. (The French eat horse after all), It's the way the animals are treated before they are killed that is the problem, but then again, animals aren't exactly kept in a wonderful way in this country either, meat is meat and if your hungry you will eat it to survive.

- Claire, Lincs, 26/6/2012 1:48

As much as the thought of eating dog or cat repulses me (and only because I'm a pet lover!) I'm not vegetarian and therefore I cannot criticise. If DM posted pictures of a cow, or a pig, about to go to slaughter - would it put you off eating them too? It is a way of life, and just because it's not accepted in Britain does not make this wrong - the same could be said for killing cows, pigs, chickens for us to eat - what is the difference?

- Stacey, Northampton, 26/6/2012 1:47

I can't see that eating one species of animals is any worse than eating another. It is a matter of personal choice / taste. As a meat-eater, I would certainly eat dog without any problem. Don't forget that many here would disagree with eating horse and it is relatively common on the continent. I had it and it was very nice.

- MD, London, 26/6/2012 1:47

I know what people are saying about cows etc and they have a point but in fairness where would you see cows locked up in cages like this . I know cows are reared for meat but this to me is a bit extreame . Dogs are very loyal and loving and are a total diff type of animal . Also where did they get these dogs ? prob stole them or found the poor creatures on the street . Makes me sick !

- Jay, Cork City , Ireland , 26/6/2012 1:47

let's hope change is on the way. Well done DM for hightlighting this issue

- jane air blogs about celebs who wear real fur..., lincs, 26/6/2012 1:46

Heartbreaking pictures... poor, poor animals...I feel physically sick......so glad I became a vegetarian 20 years ago.

- Catlover, West Yorkshire, 26/6/2012 1:46

Different cultures eat diferent animals. Some kill humainly and others dont. This artical should be about humanity. And clearly the way in which these dogs are caged and killed is not humain. But what can you do? Sadly very little I fear, other than teach and educate people to consider the pain and the suffering of every creature. May God Bless them all.

- Tammy Petulant, Lytham St Annes, 26/6/2012 1:46

It's not what they're eating that's the problem, it's the way the live animals are cruelly packed in cages and slaughtered beforehand that's the issue...

- Ian, Bolton, 26/6/2012 1:45

So sad that this world relays on been so cruel and so easily accepted! Heart breaking

- spaff, London, 26/6/2012 1:45

There are aspects of China and its people that are utterly repugnant.

- Tony , Solihull, 26/6/2012 1:45

The treatment of these dogs is barbaric, not so much the fact theyre eaten. Anyone who eats meat cannot possibly rant about it being wrong to eat dogs just because it isn't a delicatessen in your own country. Eating cows is disgusting to some cultures who consider them sacred. Eating dogs is no different though we humanise them & keep then as pets which makes it a harsh reality for most. Campaigning for humane treatment & slaughter practices is what's needed here, not a ban on eating them.

- clare, Notts, 26/6/2012 1:45

Well people if you really want to see something for real in regards to how your meat is processed get your hands on the documentary called EARTHLINGS narrated by Joaquin Phoenix. this will open your eyes.

- GMURRI, Ireland, 26/6/2012 1:45

Will not say what i think, too many grossly unsavoury swear words.

- she,, somewhere, 26/6/2012 1:44

I agree with Suzanne, its barbaric. Sick and crying , please no more.

- Kit, Londo, 26/6/2012 1:44

No problem with proper eating dogs it's the same as eating zany other meat.as long as there killed humanely

- sc, Manc, 26/6/2012 1:44

The conditions these animals have to endure is appalling... Dog meat is another issue - it could be argued that if you eat meat what is the difference between dog meat and any other meat i.e. apart from emotional bonding?

- Dee, North, 26/6/2012 1:44

China is despicable.. These acts against these poor beings, beautiful babies is indescribable... Please don't publish this unless we can all get together and do something about it. China couldn't care less about animals or humans..

- Diane, Philadelphia, 26/6/2012 1:43

Please quit putting these types of pics up!

- Tifany, Alabama, USA, 26/6/2012 1:43

Its culture. It dates back thousands of years. I wouldn't eat it, but cannot object to others in their own country. Who the hell do we think we are deciding what people should or shouldn't eat in their own country after thousands of years? Its not dangerous. God knows what animals we eat go through. Don't see other countries calling us vile names over the fact we chew on chicken when some of them have chewed off their own feet in cages.

- diane, cornwall, 26/6/2012 1:42

People will never trust or like the Chinese as long as their blatant cruelty to animals continues. I havent eaten meat for 27 years because even as a daft, snivelly nosed kid I KNEW it was immoral and WRONG that animals suffered to a horrendous degree just so that fat humans could enjoy their meat for all of three minutes! We aren't much better in this country mind you...we kill pigs that some studies show have approximately the same mentality as a three year old child. I remember a documentary where a pig had a heart attack walking into the slaughterhouse as he knew very well what awaited him and died from fear. Remember that, all you people who love your meat!

- Claire, Derry, 26/6/2012 1:42

This is SICK what is wrong with these people

- little M, London, 26/6/2012 1:42

How anybody can eat dead corpses is beyond me. If you believe in evolution you are actually eating your cousins as we are all related to one another through the tree of life.

- James, Ashford, Kent, 26/6/2012 1:41

It's sad to to see this happening to man's best friend but it happens everyday to ALL kinds of animals that have to suffer the same horrible conditions.

- nesa, SoCal, 26/6/2012 1:40

Pretty Grim, but they eat almost everything and anything in China, primarily I imagine out of neccessity. Animal rights groups are a good sign, its just a shame so many Chinese are indifferent to the sufferings of their fellow country men and women. They also in Dog in Korea, Burma and the Philippines so we shouldn't demise the Chinese alone.

- Eddie, Tunbridge Wells, 26/6/2012 1:37

had dog once it was ok, we do the same to other animals in this country and a lot worse and i have a dog as a pet that i love, people keep fish we eat fish rabbits are also kept a pets we eat them pigs to,haven't had cat but wood try it,

- pete, lystrup Denmark, 26/6/2012 1:37

I would rather DIE than eat dog. (I've been vegetarian for 25 years). Have a look at the Soi Dog Foundation in Thailand and the work they do for the dogs of the meat trade in Asia. Amazing charity and you will see items on dogs that they have stopped on the border of Thailand and rescued and adopted into loving homes all over the world.

- Dave Grohl's wife, Devonshire, UK, 26/6/2012 1:37

I do wish you would find a way of warning us about graphic content without showing most of it anyway.

- Lucy, Somewhere on this planet, 26/6/2012 1:36

It is their culture; do these people come to England to intervene in ur cultures and your way of lives? Why do you people keep porking your noses in other people's lives? Yes it's disgusting to see but again probably a law should be passed on killing any animal, let it be a cow or pig or chicken. It's their ways so let them be period!!!!

- gisrae, Southampton UK, 26/6/2012 1:36

The treatment of these dogs seems cruel which i completely disagree with. BUT if eating dogs/cats is a tradition in China.. who are we to question it?

- Emma, London, 26/6/2012 1:36

And if these dogs were not used for human consumption they would die on the streets of disease, injury and starvation - these are not people's pets, these are strays and stray dogs and cats in China are innumerable. They have a handle somewhat on controlling their own population but the answer to controlling the growing numbers of stray dogs and cats is to use them for the dinner table. Man is at the top of the food chain, we eat animals and we always will - it has always been this way.

- Mr G, London, 26/6/2012 1:36

It's not the eating of dog per se that's the issue (horrific as I find this as a dog lover) - after all, pigs are highly intelligent creatures too. It's the treatment of any animal that cruelly as a source of meat that's wrong. I do still enjoy a roast and a bacon sandwich. However, I consciously choose to source my meat from local, ethical producers, who can prove the provenence of any cut they sell, rather than the factory farmed rubbish sold as "value" in most supermarkets. It may cost a little more this way, but I'd rather eat less of something that has lived a comfortable outdoor life in a field than something which has never seen the light of day after being shut in a cramped barn all its short, miserable life. I disagree however with Suzanne, Newcastle upon Tyne, yes, I find this horrific and upsetting. However, the top of the home page is exactly where it should be. Only with publicity will these things eventually be stopped turning a blind eye won't solve anything...

- Ethical eating, UK, 26/6/2012 1:33

I couldn't even read the article or look at the pictures. There are some frighteningly sick people in this world.

- Sher x, Wales, 26/6/2012 1:33

I lived in Hong Kong for two years when it was under British rule, the humane society did a lot to stop this. I have news items and photo's that showed men with the name of the restaurant on their shirts stealing dogs from the humane society at night. This is the way the Chinese are and there was not much anyone could do to stop it. The same way we can't stop our slaughter houses. I only walked through the Chinese Market once, seeing all the live reptiles and American Bull Frogs stamped USA. I understood from another ex.pat that other countries are just as bad.

- Been there and done that, U.S.A., 26/6/2012 1:32

I havent even read this, I just cant understand why you have to put this here. Its horrible!!

- Kazzi, Banbury, 26/6/2012 1:31

I have two dogs and personally this is a terrible crule "culture" of china yes i could eat bacon sasuge and beef ! but there is a line and this has passed it.... and to everone who have said they will give it a try ...? well you get a dog from a rescue home and try to kill that!!!! i thought not..

- Josh , chester :), 26/6/2012 1:30

Same as on most farms in America or the UK. Im not against what people eat, but I am against animal suffering before the slaughter. Dogs have no divine right not to be eaten. STOP ALL ANIMAL SUFFERING

- common sense, Alaska, 26/6/2012 1:30

I'm just glad that I don't eat meat anymore. Let's face it, what's the difference between a calf, piglet and a puppy ?

- Bee, SouthDowns, 26/6/2012 1:29

Once again DM readers miss the point. Its not the type of animal thats the issue, its the way they are treated. Had you seen cows treated in this same way, there would be an outcry. This is not about the fact that some cultures eat dogs and we don't. This is about the way they are treated before they become food for consumption.

- Dave Sampson, London, UK, 26/6/2012 1:29

The saying goes "when in Rome....". To each their own, but being a dog lover I could not possibly eat dog meat, no matter how hungry I was. You can eat eggs without killing the chicken, milk from cows and still get protein, you can eat many things without resorting to causing distress and pain to another living being. Question is: does it taste so good that it is worth the nasty spectacle?

- MiniLin, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 26/6/2012 1:29

I hate to see animals of any sort suffer in such a horrific way. To me a dog is no different to any other animal- they have nervous systems, therefore they will fell pain in the same way humans do. I became veggie years ago after seeing something similar to this. I've always loved dogs but if it was different and it was seen as the 'norm' to have lambs or chickens as pets then we would be equally horrified if we saw others eating them. How anyone can treat animals with such little compassion is beyond me - I always try to imagine being in their situation and that is why I will never eat meat.

- Rebecca, Lancs, 26/6/2012 1:29

To everyone who thinks it is no different to eat dogs as to eat chicken or other meat, remember one thing. A dog is a trusting domesticated animal - we domesticated them! Those poor little things probably wagged their tails once they were taken out of their cages only to be met with a cleaver! DISGUSTING!!!!!

- Victoria, Chorley, Lancashire, 26/6/2012 1:28

This is only disturbing because we expect others to live by our beliefs and standards. I am a dog owner, but who made the UK the world policeman of what's right and wrong?

- SteveE, Chorleywood ., 26/6/2012 1:28

I am a vegetarian, but understand that some people feel they must eat meat. What is objectionable here is not that dogs and cats are being eaten, but the appalling cruelty they are subjected to beforehand.

- MB, London, 26/6/2012 1:26

do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? ..... I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but they're definitely dirty. But a dog's got personality. And personality goes a long way..... I would shoot anyone who tried to eat my dogs!

- COWBOY MOUTH, FT WORTH, TX, 26/6/2012 1:26

Is this hate China day? No one wants to see dogs eaten but what about cows, pigs, sheep and other animals? Do we not care for them also?

- TED, TEDDINGTON, 26/6/2012 1:25

I'm a vegetarian so don't condone any animal being killed for consumption when it's simply not needed. Poor doggies :(

- sfb2, Surrey. UK, 26/6/2012 1:25

The Chinese must learn that meat is only acceptable if it is nicely packaged in brightly colored boxes, preferably with a clown....

- Richard Isbell, Santander, Spain, 26/6/2012 1:23

For God sake - this is awful to Westerners but is TRADITIONAL for the Chinese. I'm sick of the West imposing its ideas of how to live on others. What I do object to are the cruel conditions before death, but has anyone checked out a British abbatoir or factory farm recently, where the conditions make these ones look like a dog hotel? Typical British and DM sneering and condemning other cultures while ours are no better!!!

- B Cave, Manchester, 26/6/2012 1:23

This makes me feel physically sick. Maybe we should fight this "war" with the money we could save if we were not funding things like the Eurovison etc?!

- MissRed, Cambridgeshire UK, 26/6/2012 1:23

The reason that a lot of us find eating dog to be repellent is that in the west we just do not eat carnivorous animals, only herbivores.

- Yaffle, yaffle, 26/6/2012 1:22

Much as I hate the idea of dogs/cats being eaten the real issue here is how these animal are treated and killed. There should be pressure to ensure the animals are treated and killed humanely.

- Ms B Hames, Carmarthen, WALES, 26/6/2012 1:22

These people disgust me.

- LF, London, 26/6/2012 1:21

These people are destroying the world very fast with there greed, they have no respect for animals and nature, people should not buy there products.

- Lenny, London, 26/6/2012 1:20

this is just so disgusting! I have no idea whether to cry or to be sick! I have two springer spaniels and they are the most adorable little things I have ever known! How on earth could one eat them? I am sorry, but don't even compare them to chicken and pork. Dogs are domesticated animals and are not supposed to be eaten!

- maria, london, 26/6/2012 1:20

Good god almighty, and we still TRADE with this nation of barbaric backward savages???, The UK govt should put a complete trade embargo on China until it stomps out this sickening practise.

- Steve, Co Durham , 26/6/2012 1:19

OH MY GOD. These people (not all Chinese people) are heartless savages. This is absolutely terrible. Eating a dog? Lord, have mercy.

- 1DFAN, Canada, 26/6/2012 1:19

if people keep saying what the difference between dog and cow, will then whats the difference between human and cow ---------------------------------------------------- One is an animal and one isn't.

- Mark, UK, 26/6/2012 1:58

Can someone please tell me which one isn't an animal...

none of them are minerals...

none of them are vegetables...

so surely dog, cow or human, they are all animals?

What point is this guy trying to make?

he's a Daily Mail reader....I wouldn't worry about whether he's actually trying to make a point or not

I read that the Daily Mail is now the most popular news website in America....taken over from one of the US heavyweights, New York Post or times or whatever it is.....unbelievable!!

I almost think some of the comments are automated on there, but depressingly with so much traffic it probably isn't.

Just a good vent for most of the miserable souls back in England.

:(

A fair few DM readers aren't back in England. They live in some Brit enclave in Spain or Cyprus but still moan about foreigners taking over and "not the country it was".

• 1 year later...