The FOOTBALL Thread (2012-2013)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Images coming in from Man Utd  

Breaking News!   Apparently, Robin Van Persie has failed a medical at Manchester United. He has a severely damaged back after carrying a full squad last season.

Yey.   Beer and snacks ready  

Confirmed

Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Manchester United manager

Sir Alex Ferguson has retired as the manager of Manchester United, the club confirmed on Wednesday morning.

The 71-year-old said in a statement that he will step down at the end of the season after 27 years in charge. He will become a United director and ambassador for the club.

It's true!

:(

Not sunk in yet of course but...

THANKS FERGIE.

Best manager ever.

38 trophies

13 titles

2 Champions League crowns

5 FA Cups

4 League Cups

Premier League: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013.

FA Cup: 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

League Cup: 1992, 2006, 2009, 2010

Champions League: 1999, 2008

Cup Winners Cup: 1991

Fifa Club World Cup: 2008

Uefa Super Cup: 1992

Inter-Continental Cup: 1999

FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

Wasn't expecting that!

Got to respect his amazing achievements that speak for themselves. We won't see the likes of Fergie again.

Going to be very interesting to see who takes over and how they cope with the pressure.

Pinch of salt or maybe a larger container of salt, but rumour has it The Special One as visited Old Trafford 5 times in the last 5 weeks.

:veryshocked:

Didn't even hear the rumours since yesterday so this was a total shock just now when I looked at the BBC site!

I'm stunned!

I haven't known any other United manager. How mad is that?

Mourinho is the only ego big enough to deal with the magnitude of the task.

Moyes just seems too much of an anti-climax, even if he might actually be good.

Not quite sure how I feel about the prospect of Jose Morinho coming.

It would be kind of exciting, I suppose - more than Moyes, that's for sure.

But he hasn't been 'long-term' anywhere has he, a bit of a flirty tart.

So given previous form, a short term kind of solution.

Perhaps if he were a success at United, that might change.

Perhaps a Fergie like loyalty is just totally unrealistic anyway.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson: in quotes.

On Ryan Giggs "I remember the first time I saw him. He was 13 and just floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind."

On Gary Neville "If he was an inch taller he'd be the best centre-half in Britain. His father is 6ft 2in – I'd check the milkman."

On Paul Ince "I used to have a saying that when a player is at his peak, he feels as though he can climb Everest in his slippers. That's what he was like."

On Italians "When an Italian tells me it's pasta on the plate I check under the sauce to make sure. They are the inventors of the smokescreen."

On the 1999 Champions League triumph "I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell."

On media criticism of Juan Sebastián Verón "On you go. I'm no ****ing talking to you. He's a ****ing great player. Yous are ****ing idiots."

On Liverpool "My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their ****ing perch. And you can print that."

On the 2003 title race "It's getting tickly now – squeaky-bum time, I call it."

On kicking a boot into David Beckham's face in 2003 "It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn't happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!"

On Filippo Inzaghi "That lad must have been born offside."

On Arsène Wenger "They say he's an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages. I've got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages!"

On his former charges as managers "It can be difficult to pinpoint who would make it as a manager. For instance, nobody here thought Mark Hughes would become a manager, never in a million years, and we all thought Bryan Robson was a certainty to be a top manager."

On the referee Alan Wiley "The pace of the game demanded a referee who was fit. It is an indictment of our game. You see referees abroad who are as fit as butcher's dogs. We have some who are fit. He wasn't fit. He was taking 30 seconds to book a player. He was needing a rest. It was ridiculous."

On José Mourinho "He was certainly full of it, calling me boss and big man when we had our post-match drink after the first leg. But it would help if his greetings were accompanied by a decent glass of wine. What he gave me was paint-stripper."

On Rafael Benítez, reacting to the Spaniard's infamous 'facts' press conference "I think he was an angry man. He must have been disturbed for some reason. I think you have got to cut through the venom of it and hopefully he'll reflect and understand what he said was absolutely ridiculous."

On whether Liverpool would win the title in 2007 "You must be joking. Do I look as if I'm a masochist ready to cut myself? How does relegation sound instead?"

On Old Trafford "The crowd were dead. It was like a funeral out there."

On Manchester City's Carlos Tévez poster "It's City isn't it? They are a small club, with a small mentality. All they can talk about is Manchester United, that's all they've done and they can't get away from it."

On City again "Sometimes you have a noisy neighbour. You cannot do anything about that. They will always be noisy. You just have to get on with your life, put your television on and turn it up a bit louder."

On Wayne Rooney's transfer request "Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it's a better cow than the one you've got in your own field. It's a fact. Right? And it never really works out that way."

On Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid "Do you think I would enter into a contract with that mob? Absolutely no chance. I would not sell them a virus. That is a 'No' by the way. There is no agreement whatsoever between the clubs."

On Manchester United's 19th league title "It's not so much passing Liverpool. It's more important that United are the best team in the country in terms of winning titles."

And on their 20th "Look at me – it's taken 10 years off me today. It's these tablets, they're great!"

Mourinho and Fergie are good mates, I wouldn't be surprised if they've been talking about this for a wee while and Fergie has decided the time is right before Chelski snaffle him back. Be funny to see as all Chelsea fans have been thinking Mourinho's quotes about "going to a place where I'm loved" assumed (and it may still be) that to be Stamford Bridge.....he could've been meaning Old Trafford all along!! Although I dislike him, you can't knock what he has done as a manager. Took Aberdeen to the top of Europe, broke the Old Firm dominance of the league, brought Man U from mid table mediocrity to arguably the biggest club on the planet

David Moyes is getting bandied about.......it could be a good appointment, he has done well with Everton on next to no money but these don't always work out when they step up. It sure is interesting tho.

Martinez is a shit manager.....Everton should stay well clear

ManYoo when Fergie arrived were more sleeping giant than mid-table mediocrity. Mediocre mid table clubs don't get the largest gates in the country and they don't get to sign the country's most promising midfielder (Paul Ince).

That doesn't mean Fergie hasn't done amazingly because he has. He's the greatest manager of modern times. He's also the last link to an era when managers would be given as long as he was to find success. Pre Sky too, of course. It's the end of era in many ways.

Busby sticking around was supposedly a curse for his successors, so I don't know what the deal is with Fergie.

It would be great for Moyes to get it as a "serve your apprentice, wait and the reward will come" type situation, but he's a big gamble and the stakes don't get higher than ManYoo. Like it or not, they are a very big business.

Aside from the lack of CL experience, Moyes has a pish record against Liverpool, which is when the pressure is on if you're Everton manager. I don't associate him with attacking football either. 4-6-0 and all that.

PA saying its not Mourinho, which I would have thought is the logical choice. It'll make things more interesting though.

ManYoo when Fergie arrived were more sleeping giant than mid-table mediocrity. Mediocre mid table clubs don't get the largest gates in the country and they don't get to sign the country's most promising midfielder (Paul Ince).

That doesn't mean Fergie hasn't done amazingly because he has. He's the greatest manager of modern times. He's also the last link to an era when managers would be given as long as he was to find success. Pre Sky too, of course. It's the end of era in many ways.

Busby sticking around was supposedly a curse for his successors, so I don't know what the deal is with Fergie.

It would be great for Moyes to get it as a "serve your apprentice, wait and the reward will come" type situation, but he's a big gamble and the stakes don't get higher than ManYoo. Like it or not, they are a very big business.

Aside from the lack of CL experience, Moyes has a pish record against Liverpool, which is when the pressure is on if you're Everton manager. I don't associate him with attacking football either. 4-6-0 and all that.

PA saying its not Mourinho, which I would have thought is the logical choice. It'll make things more interesting though.

large crowds or not.......26 years is a long time to be sleeping. He was given time......but only just. Fans almost got him kicked out before he got Man U on the road to dominance