In other news its puking at most aussie resorts right now. This could be a great year by local standards. Baw baw is rumoured to get around 50cm by morning

Sleet at village level at Thredbo, snow at midstation. Not bad at all for this time of year.

I wont be there for a couple of weeks, but need to get over there soon. More training for #2 son - he is crossing over to the dark side and training on skis, we got a lot of work to do...therefore a lot of trips required. :D gee shame about that..

He can't get work as an instructor on a board 2pints. It's quite a closed shop, and with the economy the way it is schools are hiring less anyway. Apparently there is also a shift back to skiing with regard to lessons. If he were living locally and could lobby regularly through the season he might get an IN that way, when they have a sudden upswing in bookings or a staffer is injured or quits ... But we live in Perth, and he has a pretty good thing going here with mates and work to leave on an off chance.

He wanted to get cross over qualified this season anyway - just thought he would be doing it in his downtime between taking snowboard classes and working in a resort. This new plan includes the guarantee of a job at Thredbo next season IF he passes his APSI 1 skiing. Having both skiing and boarding quals will make him a more attractive prospect for the Niseko season also - he can fill any gaps...

Just so happens that I had already planned to take ski lessons in Aug/sept (when his course is on) because I am taking a bunch of newbies to the snow, and want to hang with them. So that will be me and the boy rocking two sticks ;-)

My personal trainer asked me why I was going to learn to ski this season ... And apart from the hanging with my mates thing I answered her in the most truthful way I could... Snowboarding is getting too easy! Now don't take me the wrong way...I am no Torah Bright, and I am not doing heli drops into the backcountry, but I have got to the point where I can ride pretty much anything inbounds, and most of it with style. Part of the excitement for me is about working really hard to achieve something new and get 'better'. Those increments of better are not as noticeable now on a board. So adding the dimension of skiing will give me something that I suck at, and can work on. :D

And apart from the hanging with my mates thing I answered her in the most truthful way I could... Snowboarding is getting too easy! Now don't take me the wrong way...I am no Torah Bright, and I am not doing heli drops into the backcountry, but I have got to the point where I can ride pretty much anything inbounds, and most of it with style. Part of the excitement for me is about working really hard to achieve something new and get 'better'. Those increments of better are not as noticeable now on a board. So adding the dimension of skiing will give me something that I suck at, and can work on. :D

can you ride with the same style, on the same slopes riding switch. Gave myself this challange at the start of last season. While I am still far from being able to ski switch as well as I can normally, it gave me something to help continue pushing my ski ability. just an idea. If you have already got switch riding down then never mind....

And you can also try boarding through the trees switch and when that's mastered try it blindfolded :D

LOL!!

Funny guy Snowjunky!

Sand, I can ride switch - but it is something I should do more of because it feels super unco. I am one of those right hand dominant people that turns into a total retard doing things on the non dominant side. PB can ride switch as easy as he rides regular. I can pull out the switch fairly confidently when the terrain demands, but will switch back as soon as possible.

I will be doing a fair bit of work on my boarding this season - switch one of the things. I also have to get used to riding a bigger board in Thredbo conditions. Oh...and my t-bar skills need some SERIOUS work!! I did a long steep rolling one at the top of Valtournenche in Janaury, but I was sweating bullets the entire way! White knuckle terror.

But at the end of the season I will cross over. It'll be handy to be able to do both ... And who knows, maybe going up the t-bar on skis a few times will cure me of t-barphobia.

I found leaning a little to your heel edge helps a lot with stability on a t bar, once you have that sorted then try pushing your board out in front a bit, that helps with changes in the speed of the rope. Since I worked out those 2 things I can ride the t bar with no hands every time.

And leaning to the heel edge doesnt mean you have to use your upper body, you can use your legs to push the board across which will load up the heel side.

Haha, no because I was clearly born with it I have become quite used to it being there all the time. However it can be a pain using public transport at times.