Central Nagano expressways for free over summer

This is good to hear, might encourage some people - including myself - to get around.

Chunk of expressway in Nagano area will be free over summer!

中日本高速道路は、中央道全線開通30周年記念として、東京・名古屋両方面から長野県の中南信エリアまでの高速道路往復と、中南信エリア内の高速道路乗り放題がセットになった夏の定額プラン「速旅 信州(中南信)ハイウェイプラン」を販売している。

7、8月の観光シーズンに首都圏や中京圏から観光客を誘致し、中南信地域の活性化につなげることを目的に、中央道中津川インターチェンジ(IC)―小淵沢IC、岡谷ジャンクション(JCT)―豊科ICを乗り放題エリアとする。同社は「夏休みの旅行プランに活用し、快適な車の旅を楽しんでほしい」としている。

自動料金収受システム(ETC)搭載車(レンタカーも可)が対象。普通自動車の場合、事前に同社ホームページから申し込むと、東京方面からは6500円、名古屋方面からだと5500円で最大2日間、エリア内の高速道路の乗り降りが自由にできる。料金には両方面からの高速道路往復代も含まれる。

期間は来月1日から8月末まで。ただし、8月10日~19日までの混雑期間は対象外。問い合わせは同社お客様センター(0120・922・229)まで。

Toyoshina to Kobuchizawa or Nakatsugawa free. Sounds good to me! Nakatsugawa is close to Tsumago/Magome, in case you've never been there. Kobuchizawa is next to, err, my favourite home center! That's where we're more likely to go.

Nakatsugawa is close to Tsumago/Magome, in case you've never been there.

Want, want!

Will certainly cut a bit of the cost off if we go. I was eyeing it up for autumn though.

Hi there. The Japanese in the original post is confusing, but the highway isn't actually free. What they are doing is selling is Tokyo or Nagoya to South Nagano Prefecture (Kobuchizawa is Yamanashi?) discounted two-day packages. With this package, folks from Tokyo or Nagoya can use a stretch of highway in South Nagano as much as they want for the two days after getting to the area. The packages have to be bought in advance.

If you live in Tokyo or Nagoya it means you can do a cheaper trip to South Nagano (or Hakuba even via Toyoshina), but only if you're staying just the one night.

I really wish they would make this ETC system clearer and simpler.

Even for us Japanese, it's confusing and most people really don't understand the details which always seem to be changing. I know the information is out there if you look and study but an easier system would benefit everyone surely.