Which is more difficult - skiing or snowboarding?

my very first venture on snow was wearing skis - it was a disaster, partially I think the boots didnt fit and were crucifying my feet and partially because I was worried about two independently-minded skis taking off in horizontally opposed directions and rupturing my goin.

i was only there for the day and it was a big fail.

the next time, I tried a board and at the end of the first day, I was actually sliding (very beginner like) down the hill. having both feet strapped to the same plank of wood removed concerns for my groin.

In my case, boarding was easlier to pick up than skiing.

however, I would suggest that for the majority of cases, its up to the individual and what they feel is more natural

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a difficult one.   With snowboarders general brain size being considerably smaller, even though the actual action of snowboarding is easier, perhaps relatively for them it's about the same leve

I reckon you can ski from day one but not snowboarding. For example, a 3 yo can go on a ski but not a snowboard. Ski is just a extention of your feet. I mean its longer shoes with slippery soles yo

So by traversing you mean side slipping on heel or toe edge across the face of a steep slope causing tracks across your powder, rather than scooching along a flat with your back foot out because it is so flat?

So the criticism of Niseko being 'flat' causing this problem comes in where?

I get it that it is annoying that virgin deep pow gets tracked widely across rather than lots of narrow tracks allowing the virgin pow expereince to last longer, but that happens everywhere, and offenders can be on two planks as well....seen it done numerous times, people using the entire open width to carve out thier track that everyone else then has to ski through. Meh! Part of the expereince. :wakaranai:

My point is that because Niseko is pretty flat and relatively safe, people that don't really have the skills to board/ski powder (i.e. traversing without losing too much height) still attempt to, and mess it all up, and yes the problem is considerably worse there than in other resorts. At least people making big turns on skis are moving down the fall line. I'm not advocating Austrian style turn 'nesting', just saying a lot of people in Niseko especially could do with some more awareness and skills. Anyhow, this has gotten off topic, it's snowing here so I'm off to traverse some pow ;)