Hey all

Im looking for some tips on putting together a ski trip with my g/f next season. Im sure your busy grabbing what stashes are left for this year but if you get a moment please feel free to post any suggestions.

Broadly we are looking at flaying to Sapporo and doing some exploring on the north island but considering a couple of days in the alps on the way up!

Pez

Hi Pez

I suggest you sit down with a pot of coffee and read through lots of the similar threads on here.

You realise the alps aren't exactly "on the way up" as such. You'd need to get there from Tokyo then come back and then fly up to Hokkaido.

:wave:

Ok I have taken the reading advice on board and putting aside a few hours this weekend!

We have booked to fly into Tokyo then will prob head north via air to Sapporo. For a couple of weeks then back to Tokyo and then back out to somewhere on the main island!

I'll put up more info on my itinary when I know! But if anyone is up for a ski a beer will be on offer for highlighting best line!

Pez

deep de dee, if youre in and around tokyo and you want to go for a ride, go to kagura. There you go. Skip nagano. Its nice, but i dunno... if its not the centerpiece of your trip and youre more just looking for a crafty weekend away, its kinda a bit more work to get to. Dun get me wrong... nagano is a great area... you have shiga kogen, myoko (technically niigata), hakuba, nozawa, and a tonne of other resorts in the area (including this years failure for me, Kousha (takaifuji)). You also have a shink line heading to joetsu for 2013 i believe hooking up to iiyama as well and bringing about easy shink access to some of those places (nozawa/myoko/takaifuji/ryuoo). Its just you know... if youre really doing the sapporo thing, the whole nagano added extra might be a bit of a hit on your wallet since theres just TOO MUCH to do there. Kagura, naeba, gala, ishiuchi, iwappara et al just felt a lot less hassle for me (going from mid saitama). Theres only really a thousand yen difference, but the resorts at yuzawa are pretty close to the town, whereas with nagano its usually either some dodgy connecting trains (then a bus) or an expensive bus ride (over 1000 yen each way). Plus it gets less powder - but shhhh, dont let seki and their 6meters hear me say that...

• 4 months later...

Thanks Ippy for the info!! i will look into Kagura sounds like exactly what I am after just a cheeky escape from the city for a cuple of day sbefore the long sad flight home!

I can't wait to get out east now! Be kind Weather - Be Kind!

check out the Travel Agents in most JR Train stations, they have Shinkansen deals up to Kagura for about 10-11,000¥ that includes your return Shink ticket and your lift ticket for the resort. From Metropolis to powder in 90 mins.....great!! :D

Yeah it is. Easiest to get to is the Yuzawa resorts in Niigata.....shink almost to the door! Nagano is relatively easy by shink then bus from Nagano city. Then if you really wanna cut costs, you can night bus it to practically any of the big Honshu resorts from Tokyo