Hi Guys,

I wonder if some of you experts out there can help me...

I'm looking to do a season in Japan next winter, heading out towards the end of November and then returning sometime in March probably.

Other than the standard research on the internet I'm pretty much a Japan snow novice - my friend is currently in Niseko, and she said the snow is amazing out there and there's loads of Aussies so it doesnt seem like being too far from home!

Basically the advice I'm looking for is:

1) Where are the best places to go in your opinion? - snow, runs, facilities, apre etc

2) How do you go about getting a job out there? my friend got a job in a restaurant once she was there but I think it would be easier to get one before heading out for visa purposes, am I wrong?

3) Are there any Visa issues anyone has experienced coming from the UK on a working holiday visa?

4) Is there anything else I should know, or should I just get my board and jump on a plane!!

Thanks in advance and look forward to your responses!!

Hi Gel and welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Here are my "non-expert" answers to your questions:-

1. Depends what you're into, in terms of riding/skiing and lifestyle (ie apres-ski) and what sort of cultural experience you're looking for (ie full-on Japanese or not-so-full-on);

2. Do you speak any Japanese? If not, it might be a good idea to learn some before you come as not only will it enhance your job prospects but it'll make your season much easier/more interesting;

3. I'm not sure but I'm guessing the number of hours you can work will be limited. The answers should be on the immigration website.

4. Bring lots of cash and a credit card with a big limit! :D

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Cheers Mick!

I am keen on Apre but I understand Japan isnt the best place for that, but I'm also keen to experience massive amounts of snow and the Japanese culture, I've been living in Shanghai so, although I'm very aware China and Japan are very different places, I'm sure I can cope with the culture shock!

I don't speak the language but you're not the first person to tell me a little Japanese will go a long way, so I'll crack the rosetta stone out. Thanks for that.

Where do westerners generally say are the best places for a. Nightlife and b. General riding on and off piste (I know there's some epic backcountry places but I'm not at that level yet so I'll be easily pleased by decent pistes).

Thanks again for your help - I've just been on the phone to the Embassy - I'm ready to go now!!!

3. I originally came to Japan on a working holiday visa. You are limited in the number of hours you can work and I think its something like 20 or 25 hours per week. You need to put together some kind of itinerary detailing what you want to do while you are here - I think I just went through a lonely planet and listed a load of places I wanted to go to and supplemented with teaching English part time. Im not sure if you need some sort of part-time job lined up before you come - I did, but Im not sure if it is a requirement. Im sure you can check online about this. I did have to go to the Japanese embassy in London at some point for the visa or for the application. Also, I think you need to prove you have a certain amount of cash in the bank and the amount is related to whether you have a one way, or return air ticket to Japan - or maybe my mind just completely made that up - it was quite a long time ago now! Dont forget, if you want to leave Japan and come back during your years working holiday, you must obtain a re-entry permit or you will not be allowed to come back into Japan!

Basically if you want to work for the season then Niseko offers the largest amount and range of job opportunities for foreigners. Plus it has without doubt the best apres ski entertainment of any resort in the country and english is practically the main language. Obviously it has incredible snowfall and snow quality plus extensive off-piste terrain easily accessible both within the resort and out through the gates. In all the years I lived and worked in Niseko I met and worked with many hundreds of seasonal workers and never known one who didn't have the time of their life.

Basically if you want to work for the season then Niseko offers the largest amount and range of job opportunities for foreigners. Plus it has without doubt the best apres ski entertainment of any resort in the country and english is practically the main language. Obviously it has incredible snowfall and snow quality plus extensive off-piste terrain easily accessible both within the resort and out through the gates. In all the years I lived and worked in Niseko I met and worked with many hundreds of seasonal workers and never known one who didn't have the time of their life.

Yeah, it's hard to argue with that though you might want to check out this link! ;)

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/21632-mt-granview-watch-or-the-japanese-ski-resort-to-watch-for-the-1213-season/

When I first cam to Japan more than 12 years ago I came on a student visa and was limited to I think it was 25 hours per week working.

Basically I studied Japanese in the morning and taught English from the afternoon until I got settled.

To get my visa I had to show a statement of my bank account proving that I had enough money to stay at least a year without the need to work as I applied for a one year student visa at that time.

I also had to fill in many forms, showing my qualifications, what I intended doing while in Japan, also explaining how I intend to support myself, etc, etc! Was a pain in the arse to get all the forms sorted out, but not a difficult task more time consuming then anything.

Basically show the embassy that you have more than enough money for your stay, that you have a real purpose to be in Japan, (I want to experience jap pow) probably will not be the best explanation! Then you should be ok for a visa!

Since the start I was happy to really experience the Japanese culture, rather I didn't want to hang around where other foreigners where, maybe thats just me, but I found that was the most exciting way to really experience Japanese culture, while having fun at the same time!

Good luck!

If I remember correctly, you didnt need to have a huge amount of cash in the bank for a working holiday visa - something like 1500 pounds with a one way flight ticket and 1000 pounds with a return ticket - that was 7 or 8 years ago though, and the pound is worth close to half of what it was back then relative to the yen, so you might have to take that into account.

I would agree with everything GN said about Niseko, but you should also consider exactly what you want from your stay in Japan - if you want good nightlife, great skiing, a pretty easy time of it, then it is most likely the best bet, but if you want to learn Japanese, perhaps have a more authentic "Japanese" experience and so on, then you have to consider, is an internationally famous resort where everybody speaks english and which is full of Australian tourists really the place to do that? Maybe not, but then again, if you are not in a resort with lots of foreign visitors (Niseko followed by Hakuba and not much after that), and you dont speak any Japanese, its becomes increasingly difficult for you to find any kind of work apart from teaching English.

I worked my first season in Niseko on the UK working holiday visa. i am pretty certain there was no limit to the hours you could work, if there was, it is definitely not enforced. Don't tell the embassy that you are going to work the season in Niseko/wherever, definitely don't tell them if you have a job arranged in advance, they don't like people working at one place for extended periods of time, instead make an itinerary saying you will teach english or something all over the place, once you are here it's fine. This sounds a bit sketchy I know, but these instructions were given to me by the embassy when I called them explaining what I wanted to do.

Niseko is an awesome place to live, no, it's not a particularly authentic Japanese experience, but it is awesome fun and the skiing is fantastic. I've been here 4 seasons for a reason.

I chose to live in Niseko specifically because it's not 'real' Japan. It would have to be one of the most multicultural little enclaves in the whole country and is one of the reasons I love it so much. Not sure I'd want to live in Japan where I was the only gaijin is the village! ;)

Jimmer is right in that I don't believe there are limits on the hours you can work on a working holiday visa. If there are they're certainly not enforced. I believe there is a liimit on the hours you can work if you're on a spousal visa but again don't believe it's really enforced at all. Known plenty of guys who've spent many years in Japan on spousal visas working full time jobs.

There's plenty of places in Japan where you wouldn't be the only gaijin in town.

Perhaps what people mean is that in Niseko it's like the opposite extreme where English is almost spoken more than Japanese.

Hardly representitive of Japan, if you go live in Niseko... you probably know Japan no more than the bubble-lifestyle Tokyo banker expat gang.

But you have real Japan just minutes away in towns like Kutchan and Niseko town if you want to immerse yourself a bit. I lived in Kutchan but was quite happy to not always be immersed in purely Japanese culture and to have a hell of a lot more variety of cuisine just up the road than you'd get in most rural areas. Anyway I didn't choose to live in Japan because I was overly interested in Japanese culture, I was there for the climate (huge amounts of powder snow ;) ) and the lifestyle of living in a ski area with a whole lot of people both Japanese and foreign who nearly all have a love of snow and snowsports. And wow what a great lifestyle it was. On a site like this you're part of virtual community where we all love snow but in a place like Niseko you get to live in such a community for real. It's awesome.

I love living here, but at time I do wish there was a bit more, like you suggest above GoNative.

Then again, I dont think i would swap.

:friend:

This area sure isn't what gel is looking for though.

the most Gaij friendly ski areas are without a doubt Niseko followed by Hakuba. I was surprised at New Year just how many Gaij are in Hakuba now, working in seasonal jobs. Of course I'd heard about Niseko being Little Australia before going up there but I hadn't realised how much hakuba had caught up. Both are awesome places to ride, but based on my snow experience when I was there, I'd choose Niseko over Hakuba. If it was me though, I'd actually consider living in Sapporo and getting a part time English job and then hitting up as many resorts as i could, following the conditions round Teine, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Niseko and even the Furano area resorts. Sapporo is a big city, with all the modern amenities, it has great transport links to Hokkaido's resorts, more job opportunities, a Gaij enclave that you'd be able to tag onto and hitch a ride to ski-jo's.....not to mention that it also has a ski resort in its suburbs, Sapporo Teine

I've been trying to convince my Mrs to move up there.......sadly she doesn't like the cold and now that I have relinquished all life opinions, I have no say in the matter :(

They're only relinquished if you allow them to be tubby. My wife doesn't like cold and isn't overly impressed by snow but I did manage 7 years up there before being dragged kicking and screaming back to Australia... ;)

Tubby...no!

Get that cooperative mutual respect thing going on early my tartan wearing friend!

We have toyed with the idea of doing a season.

Kids and businesses get in the way of that. A couple of years ago we could have dropped everything and done so - but with the elite sport pathway the boys are on now it would be criminal to move them to a place they can not continue. If you want to do a season make a bargain with the Mrs. A season in a cold place like Hokkaido before you commit yourself to raising little Haggis's.

I chose to live in Niseko specifically because it's not 'real' Japan. It would have to be one of the most multicultural little enclaves in the whole country and is one of the reasons I love it so much. Not sure I'd want to live in Japan where I was the only gaijin is the village! ;)

Jimmer is right in that I don't believe there are limits on the hours you can work on a working holiday visa. If there are they're certainly not enforced. I believe there is a liimit on the hours you can work if you're on a spousal visa but again don't believe it's really enforced at all. Known plenty of guys who've spent many years in Japan on spousal visas working full time jobs.

Before getting a permanent residents visa I had a spouse visa and there is no working hour limit, and you can work for yourself without any problems also, which is what I did and am still doing now, albeit with a permanent visa now!

I think I got mixed up with a guy I knew who was married not to a Japanese national but a foreigner who had a work visa. He was on a dependent visa or something like that and was not meant to work more than 20 hours a week or something. They lived in Japan for about 8 years and he worked full time pretty much the entire time they were there.