Becoming more common around the Ichinose & Takamagahagara areas of Shiga Kogen.

You never leave your windows open around here

Ah but are they the real Official Snow Monkeys, or just "monkeys"? ;)

Well I guess they might have booked a room at the Hotel Ichinose but generally they live in the snow

Perhaps what snowbender means is --- are these the dudes that chill in the onsen, or another group?

I suppose diffferent as it's a fair way down the hill. Having said that I have no idea how mobile these folk are.

yeah I do know what you mean. I have seen groups at other areas including sitting in the trees above the suspended access road, and over at Giant & Sun Valley areas also.

They are all in the same National Park but most likely a different group up at the skijo. Having said that they have learnt to adapt to the built environment. I have often seen them sitting on the onsen roofs soaking up the heat.

I don't like to get too close to them Pies because I have seen those Nikko guys in action when I was there a couple of years ago. Well actually it was up the hill from Nikko at Lake Chuzenji town.

My mate took a video of a couple of tourists walking towards the "cute " monkeys. They were carrying a plastic bag that got ripped to pieces. They have become a real problem there. I will try and hunt up that vid

Meanwhile here's a pic of the Chuzenji gang plus some more wildlife

Lake Chuzenji

Lake Chuzenji

Lake Chuzenji

Other wildlife - I am the one in the hat

I like it round there, bad-reputation monkeys aside!

Good drive from Numata through Katashina over into Tochigi and Chuzenjiko and then onto Nikko.

Must do that again this year.

:)

The difference between the Shiga Kogen onsen dudes and the wild Nikko ones is the latter eat (stolen) bananas!

Are those pics from a previous visit to Chuzenjiko, snowjunky?

Yes, in late Feb 2009 - as Muika says above it is a nice area - lakes, waterfalls, monkeys, alpine vistas and the amazing & historical cultural centre of Nikko