I'm sat here in the Kanagawa sunshine looking at this week's weather forecasts and reckon that tomorrow may be the best bet for some ok-ish conditions, with snow forecast today/tonight and low-ish temperatures/freezing levels. This is also my last week off work, so is my last chance of some mid-week action! :D

I'm therefore thinking of doing a last-minute overnight bus trip to a Honshu resort. Looking through my brochure, which restricts my options somewhat, I'm thinking of one of the following:-

1. Niigata - conditions around Yuzawa don't look too bad for tomorrow, so maybe Kagura though I wouldn't mind checking out a new resort - maybe Naeba, Centleisure-Maiko or even Joetsu Kokusai? Obviously Mt G is closed otherwise there'd be no need for this post! ;)

2. Fukushima - I really wanted to go to a Fukushima resort this season but it looks as though the forecast snow is being accompanied by high winds! :sadface:

3. Nagano - I've "done" Hakuba and am tempted to go back to Ryuoo, but again, wouldn't mind checking out somewhere new, maybe Nozawa, Togari or Sugadaira (though the reviews for the latter two are very mixed).

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!!! Cheers! :thumbsup:

I've been watching the forecast pretty closely and we came up with this:

Monday - Suginohara (Myoko Kogen)

Tuesday - Madarao Kogen (Nagano)

Wednesday - Happo One

I'm a bit worried about the wind but I've got a bunch of tickets burning a hole in my pocket that I need to use up. Fingers crossed for good spring conditions as this will be my second (or third if Fuji happens) last trip of the season.

I'm headed to either Ishiuchi Maruyama or Maiko on Tuesday....probably Ishiuchi as I've already been to Maiko this year....got an SJ ticket to use up. Personally think Kagura would be best as the freezing level is gonna shoot up to the summit of both maiko and ishiuchi, but Tuesday is the only day I can go......it says its gonna be sunny, as long as there is no rain then great. I like spring riding in shades

Nozawa pains me because the best part of nozawa is the bottom half of the mountain. Well, at least the piste. No idea about off piste at nozawa.

The top is too short and cut off.

The middle are two flat ridge lines.

The bottom are all the steeps and fun ungroomed areas.

(this all doesnt consider the skyline of course).

That being said, ill be there tuesday.

Wednesday and thursday will be ryuoo (or ryuoo/x-jam if conditions at ryuoo suck).

Thursday night i might go to kousha and play on that, or maybe even head to shiga kogen.

Only problem is i believe that almost all the nagaden buses are done for the season. I think the dude at ryuoo said that the bus from nagano ends today. This obviously puts spanners in plans and would be worth definitely checking out. :)

ETA: also sad to see the weather reports massively scaled back this time. Numbers are a lot smaller than they were just yesterday :( Ah well, slush it is. : )

Well, I just got my ticket for another trip to Kagura tomorrow! By some stroke of good fortune, it turns out both my boss and supervisor are away this week so I decided to take a day off! Also, looks like its started snowing there!

2. Fukushima - I really wanted to go to a Fukushima resort this season but it looks as though the forecast snow is being accompanied by high winds! :sadface:

Just got back from Grandeco, which was forecast a little snow and high winds (so I was actually thinking of going somewhere else, but the kid insisted), but which turned into little wind (due to being on the leeward side of the mountain, I guess) and surprisingly heavy snowfall, which was still continuing as I left. Caught me by surprise, and others as well. Overheard conversations on the lifts were almost all about how surprisingly great the snow was.

Had some of the best runs of the season, snow-wise.

Looks like it is predicted to continue snowing into Tuesday there, too, and for the winds to drop...

That's tempting for Tuesday because my Monday plans are now sorted! :D

Completely independent of this post, my Hakuba mate emailed me this afternoon to say it was dumping down and to get myself up there! I therefore made it over to my local Teco Plaza office before it closed and booked a seat on tonight's nightbus to Cairo Goryu!

Right, I'd better pack and get myself up to Shinjuku before 22.45!! :wave:

I will be off to Kusatsu in Gunma on Wednesday with my daughter and friends of mine, to use the free tickets I won from snow Japan!

Looks like Wednesday will be a nice dry day with not too cold and not too warm conditions, and hopefully fairly good snow after fresh that should be falling until around Tuesday.

Will do a report after I get back from there!

I will be off to Kusatsu in Gunma on Wednesday with my daughter and friends of mine, to use the free tickets I won from snow Japan!

Looks like Wednesday will be a nice dry day with not too cold and not too warm conditions, and hopefully fairly good snow after fresh that should be falling until around Tuesday.

Will do a report after I get back from there!

Look forward to the report, for many and varied reasons Kusatsu is the only place I get to go skiing, so I like to see what other people think of the place.

Look forward to the report, for many and varied reasons Kusatsu is the only place I get to go skiing, so I like to see what other people think of the place.

Second the interest in the Kusatsu report, but you got me curious about why Kusatsu is the only place you get to go skiing...

In-laws run a ryokan there or something?

(Don't need to answer, of course.)

Second the interest in the Kusatsu report, but you got me curious about why Kusatsu is the only place you get to go skiing...

In-laws run a ryokan there or something?

(Don't need to answer, of course.)

Lots of reasons really:

My wife doesn't like snow or skiing, lots of Onsens there that she does like

Kids don't ski yet, next door Hotel has swimming pool which they enjoy

The company my wife works for has accomadation there, means it's cheap to stay

My wife works, I stay at home looking after the kids, like most Japanese she puts in lots of overtime, so it would be a bit unfair to go off on the weekend using "her" money to go skiing leaving her behind with the kids

So all in all, a couple of weekends at Kusatsu is what I get, the rest of the time I read everyone elses trip reports and look at their photos and dream :-)

driving it is. Gunma isn't that far.......but time hinges on the Devil road that is the Kan-Etsu!! In saying that, the Gunma resorts tend to be a bit further from the IC than, say the Yuzawa ones that are a little further up the devil road........actually I shouldn't tempt fate, I'm heading up tomorrow :bow: Play nice tomorrow, Kan-Etsu....I beg you!!

My wife works, I stay at home looking after the kids, like most Japanese she puts in lots of overtime, so it would be a bit unfair to go off on the weekend using "her" money to go skiing leaving her behind with the kids

Your mission is to get the kids hooked on skiing early as possible. Then you can take them on the slopes with you while your wife rests up. Win-win!

• Like 1

Will try, next season we intend on getting them ski lessons. By then they'll had had a year of swimming and gym lessons so should be able to be "good" students, follow directions, listen to instructors. My wife also wants them to ski so she can sit at the base drinking hot chocolate. Apparently the hot chocolate at Kusatsu is very, very good.

Will try, next season we intend on getting them ski lessons. By then they'll had had a year of swimming and gym lessons so should be able to be "good" students, follow directions, listen to instructors. My wife also wants them to ski so she can sit at the base drinking hot chocolate. Apparently the hot chocolate at Kusatsu is very, very good.

:thumbsup:

I like a good hot chocolate!

All talk again I see, with the Mt Granview love, Mick.

I am disappointed.

:console:

Going back to the OP, mission accomplished!!! Just got back from a powder day at Hakuba - report to follow tomorrow! :thumbsup: