Hello everyone,

First year boarder here, so excuse the ignorance of this post.

I'm planning on heading up to Grand Hirafu from 7th to 10th of April (only time I can get off) for a nice little snowboarding getaway. The main reason I'm doing this, is cause I've chatted with people who seem to be familiar with the conditions around Japan at the moment and the general consensus seems to be that, during that time this year, Niseko will be the only sure bet for decent conditions, especially as other parts of Japan have had less snowfall.

I live in Tokyo, so if the conditions are the same anywhere else close, I'm fine with that as well, but considering this will be the last chance I have to take off and hit the slopes, I really prefer the best conditions possible and everyone seems to be saying Niseko, Hirafu it.

Do you guys agree with this? Will the snow be at least somewhat soft, given the weather around Japan so far?

Thanks!!

Hi there. :wave:

I have never been up there so can't really comment on Niseko.

Sounds like it might be coming from people who know less than they think, though, or wanting to get you to go there. Sure seems a long way for a last ski when there will still be lots much nearer.

Have you looked over the archives of the dailies on here from previous seasons?

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nowcalendar.php

Check out what previous seasons brought in popular places covered.

:friend:

Niseko a sure thing in the second week of April?! There will be snow on-piste but you'll have to get very lucky to have any fresh snow around that time. Quick scan of the previous year reveals a grand total of 0cms of fresh snow fall at that time. I'm not sure of the exact dates but I think a lot of the services will have shut down by then as well.

Of the top 20 resorts with the deepest current snow depth 10 of them are in Niigata. Give that area a look as well (especially Kagura ;) )

0 cm in the village does not mean 0 cm has fallen up on the mountain or there is no soft snow up high.

For example, 13cm has fallen at Hirafu village level since last Monday (12th) but I skied dry, light powder Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week.

It warmed up over the weekend and the snow was grabby and creme brulee like.

Today however was a different story.

Skied Kiroro today expecting to have at most mid-boot on a sun crust. It was waist deep and over the head.

If the temps stay low then there will be great conditions up here in April.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really going for the best slopes, but really for the best snow conditions, and looking at the weather reports, Niseko seems to be getting the most consistent snow when compared to Nagano or Niigata which has gotten frequent dry spells this season.

Actually, I've been to Kagura/Naeba about 6 times already this season. While it was awesome, I was really hoping to check out Hokkaido with the hope that conditions will be better in Hirafu compared to Kagura at the same time....

Let me add, a number of years back can't remember the season I was in Niseko in early April and then I was at Kagura in mid April.

Kagura blew Niseko to pieces, I kid you not.

Of course, there's luck of timing etc. to consider.

Ah man, seeing these posts are a bit disheartening. With all the hype behind Niseko Grand Hirafu, I was really thinking the conditions would be better compared to Nagano or Niigata.

Not sure what to do now......already have this tour package booked, but I can still cancel. Still a novice rider so, as I said, the actual slopes don't mean much to me, just looking for the best snow as possible. Will Kagura truly be better during that time?

Decisions, decisions...

Will Kagura truly be better during that time?

No-one knows do they? Kagura might be poor and Niseko might be great. It's all going to depend on how nature treats us isn't it.

I was only saying what I experienced a few years back.

gnarly has a point, Nozawa has had an excellent season and Nozawa is a very fine place.

Might be a good choice.

Personally, if I were going in April somwhere, I'd go based on the place I want to go to (as long as all places are definitely open at that time), rather than trying to define the place with the best snow then.

You are going to be lucky to get anything over and above "spring" wherever you go, and you might be lucky or not, and if you are luckly then should see it as a bonus if you get it.

So I'd be considering where I want to go as a place first and go from there.

Perhaps it was the same dude that advised on Zao as well:

http://www.snowjapan...e-of-fukushima/

Rant // Hypsters really frigging annoy me. Not just in this kind of particular case but in general. For all their 'we're here to help' bull, the only thing they are trying to serve is themselves and it is just bloody annoying and often fogs up a message. The more they are uncovered and shamed the better, I reckon. // Rant.

Some ways to spot them:

- they only talk about one place and show little to no interest in everything/everywhere else;

- they miss out any 'negative' (read: 'not awesome') things. Don't expect to hear them tell you it rains when it rains;

- they use way too many adjectives.

A combination of the above gives off a clear, er, 'aroma'.

I don't think people are saying that stonedzombie - look at past seasons, and make up your own mind from there.

Niseko may well be the best this year.

Just ideas.

The main message to me seems to be - nobody knows what mid April will be like this season.

:wave:

Sadly, Mt Granview will be closed by then:

http://www.snowjapan...at-time-forgot/

A disappointment for sure, but there are other places.

:lol:

Yes Nozawa sounds like it might hold out really well this season.

I went once a couple of years back and it was really lacking in April.

But they have had tons this year.

Agree, no-one knows. We'll just have to see.

mate, TBH its still the middle of March....nature has a funny way of not telling us the weather in 4 weeks (ok 3 weeks ;) ) time. Its not that people are saying Nozawa will have the best snow, or Kagura or Niseko......there will be snow at all 3 resorts. Which one will have the best is in crystal ball territory. If you don't mond going up to Hokkaido then go do it, I'm sure you'll have a ball. BUT 1 thing to think of is that there are a lot of resorts closer by on Honshu that will probably have just as good conditions for a lot less travel time. The snow depth archive is a good guide to look at but in the end you are gonna have to rely on a little bit of luck to get the resort with the best conditions. Noz has had an amazing year, Niseko always has an amzing year and Kagura (you've been before) also has had a great year. Other than finding the holy grail of snow conditions, what else is a deciding factor? money? Time?

A major thing you should be aware of is that much of Niseko shuts down in the 2nd week of April. In previous years it's usually been from about 6 April that Hanazono and Niseko Village areas shut down for the season. Annupuri and Hirafu continue to operate with limited lifts during mideek and a few more open on weekends. Many of the restaurants and bars in Hirafu (if you stay there) will have also shut for the season.

In terms of snow there's nowhere in Japan that you could guarantee great powder snow in the 2nd week of April. Asahidake or Kurodake would be about the best bets in my opinion. Niseko not so much. It could be great, it could be very Springlike. All depends on the weather during the few days you are intending to go. That would apply to whatever ski resort you choose at that time.

0 cm in the village does not mean 0 cm has fallen up on the mountain or there is no soft snow up high.

For example, 13cm has fallen at Hirafu village level since last Monday (12th) but I skied dry, light powder Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week.

Skied Kiroro today expecting to have at most mid-boot on a sun crust. It was waist deep and over the head.

I understand what you are saying Mike. I was actually in Niseko the first week in April '06 and we got some great conditions and freshies. But for a first year boarder I doubt he is going to go to the same places that you or I might go to get fresh snow. If you are just going to be on-piste the whole time I don't think that Niseko is any better than loads of places much closer to Tokyo.

A major thing you should be aware of is that much of Niseko shuts down in the 2nd week of April. In previous years it's usually been from about 6 April that Hanazono and Niseko Village areas shut down for the season. Annupuri and Hirafu continue to operate with limited lifts during mideek and a few more open on weekends. Many of the restaurants and bars in Hirafu (if you stay there) will have also shut for the season.

In terms of snow there's nowhere in Japan that you could guarantee great powder snow in the 2nd week of April. Asahidake or Kurodake would be about the best bets in my opinion. Niseko not so much. It could be great, it could be very Springlike. All depends on the weather during the few days you are intending to go. That would apply to whatever ski resort you choose at that time.

This is what I was thinking for that time of year. Sounds like it'll be pretty dead by then... Plus Hanazono and Niseko Village being closed.

I understand what you are saying Mike. I was actually in Niseko the first week in April '06 and we got some great conditions and freshies. But for a first year boarder I doubt he is going to go to the same places that you or I might go to get fresh snow. If you are just going to be on-piste the whole time I don't think that Niseko is any better than loads of places much closer to Tokyo.

Agreed.