Hi all

Long time reader of the forum, but first time poster :friend:

Looking for suggestions for our next ski trip to Japan (will be Jan/Feb next year (2 week trip))

Our recent ski trips have been Niseko/Furano in 2010, Niseko/Rusutsu in 2011 and this year was Whistler, Canada.

We really like Niseko (in fact all of the resorts we have been to in Japan), but was thinking it would be nice to try some different resorts on the south island (save us a plane trip to Hokkaido).

Class myself as an advanced/expert snowboarder who loves the deep powder and the trees (don't we all) :happyshades: Like to have a good choice of resturants for the evening, but not a late night / pub person.

Any suggestions for non-Hokkaido resorts I should start my research at?

Cheers

Hi Raz and congrats on making your 1st post!! :wave:

I reckon you should start off looking at the usual suspects, namely Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa and Myoko but there are lots of smaller resorts that can also deliver the goods. Are you going to have a car or be reliant on public transport, as that will have a bearing on your choice(s)? Happy reading!!

If you have a car and are touring then you can hit up a lot of places on Honshu, the ones Mick said, Kagura in Yuzawa, which is an onsen town and has restaurants and drinking establishments but totally local Japanese and nothing like Niseko, off the back of Tenjindaira in Gunma would also be up there for you (the resort itself is tiny, but the options for hiking and getting into the deep stuff are pretty rad) and Minakami is nearby and has a smaller Yuzawa feel.

Yeah, that's a good call for Kagura and whilst a car would definitely make life easier, you could base yourself in Yuzawa and get the train or bus to a whole load of other resorts nearby, Tenjin and Minakami included.

Yeah, first thing you should decide is if you want to stay in one area, base yourself in one area and drive around, or spend a little time in several areas. If you have a car you'll have the option of getting around to literally hundreds of resorts.

Thanks all for the replies. (I didn't think the post worked as my browser crashed when I hit submit and I haven't checked back since).

Probably no car, but would like to visit two ski areas in a two week trip. Was reading up on Hakuba today and that is looking like a good choice.

As an aside, I only discovered today that there are no more direct Perth to Tokyo flights. Our nice 9hr flight has turned into a 13 to 17 hrs plus stopover time. Not happy.......

Well back to planning next years trip :-)

I'm thinking of finally hitting up Honshu myself next season. Like Raz I love it deep and off-piste (I really, really hate on-piste). What would be the best resort on Honshu for easily accessible and legal off-piste and/or sidecountry skiing? Only interested in the skiing, base facilities and apres stuff doesn't matter.

GN, you'd HAVE to drop by Hakuba.....after all the great debates on here, it'd be rude not to!! :lol: and it actually does have all the things you'd like I reckon. All about off the back, I'm sure there'd be a line of locals ready to guide you for the day! ;)

I reckon for backcountry skiing as well, Tenjindaira in Gunma would tick teh boxes for you....the resort is small but the options off the back look great. I only ventured off the side of the designated runs in the forests, but the mountains there are pretty spectacular and its known as a BC-lover's play area. Have you done Hakkoda and the northern Honshu resorts?

I heard that Zao had been destroyed. 500 Ice Monsters were brought to life due to massively high* levels of radiation and went on a rampage through the village.

(Though some of them in an interview with the Daily Yomiuri was heard to be complaining that there was nothing to eat in the evenings and nowhere was open).

Scary shit, anyway.

And in another report just coming in, I heard that Hakuba was suffering from readings of 500 micro-seatbelts, and faces were melting away.

It's all quite sickening.

(* actually even higher than that)

Haven't been to any resorts on Honshu TB. All in all in the 7 years I lived in Japan I've spent only about 7 weeks on Honshu and 5 of those were when I was stationed in Isesaki in Gunma by Nova. It was mid summer and 5 weeks there were 5 too many. The Kanto plains are no place to be for any normal human in summer!!!

Quit Nova after only after a few weeks (at least I got my sponsored work visa through them) and scampered back up to Hokkaido where summer is considerably easier to handle. Spent a couple of weeks in Kyoto and Nara just before we left Japan. Other than that haven't been anywyhere else on Honshu.

you should get in touch with Yamabushi and see if he'll show you round hakkoda. Definitely fun to be had down here thats for sure! :thumbsup:

Gunma I heard, was voted the worst place in Japan to live......by the people that lived there!! :D haha, why you'd want to live in a place you totally hate I dunno. I've been to Gunma winter as well as end of summer and there are some real beautiful parts of the country. The Oze Marshes are great hiking territory

I just couldn't believe how hot and humid it was. I've never experienced anything like it before and hope to never experience anything like it again. We actually had fog form in the evening even though the temp was still above 30 degrees. For the dew point to be reached at over 30 degrees you know that the humidity is crazy high!

We were in Isesaki muika. Yeah right down on the plains not too far from Saitama. One of the hottest places in summer on Honshu I'd think. Hard to imagine anywhere being much hotter or more humid!