The people taking these videos down etc must be in the wrong then, hey?

You go tell 'em!

:friend:

I don't claim to know the legalities of it.

I just know how easy it is for people to throw the 'it's stupid' thing around when basically someone is just stopping them from doing what they want.

I don't need to tell them they are wrong. There is already a limitation to the copyright law called 'fair use' (aka: fair dealing or limitations and exceptions to copyright law). It's based on four principles: purpose and character, nature of copied work, amount and substantiality and effect upon work's value. In the US (for example), copyright holders can't order the deletion of a file without first determining whether the file constitutes fair use. In fact, Universal Music has already been sued for doing that. Youtube may have agreements with major corporations but that doesn't mean what they are doing is based on 'the law'.

This is in no way meant to be a personal attack but if you don't know the legalities then why comment as if you do? It's just as easy for someone to throw the 'its not stupid' thing around when basically they have no idea what they are talking about.

Brazillians have a lax attitude.

Most bands consider their downöoads as free and promo ad, and make their money at live concerts.

Like if you like us, come and support us at live!

I like it.

• SnowJapan Admin

You are welcome to add personal vids, but not ones that are plastered with your business names like the one you did a few hours ago.

That is not cool, sorry.

I don't need to tell them they are wrong. There is already a limitation to the copyright law called 'fair use' (aka: fair dealing or limitations and exceptions to copyright law). It's based on four principles: purpose and character, nature of copied work, amount and substantiality and effect upon work's value. In the US (for example), copyright holders can't order the deletion of a file without first determining whether the file constitutes fair use. In fact, Universal Music has already been sued for doing that. Youtube may have agreements with major corporations but that doesn't mean what they are doing is based on 'the law'.

My girlfriend is a gymnastics coach. Where this becomes an issue for her, is if she records a video of her students competing, and there happens to be music in the background (i.e. at the venue, not added to the video later), when the video is uploaded to youtube, either the video won't play, or will play without sound. The only reason that these videos are being recorded is for the families of these children to be able to share their children's sporting achievements with the people that they want. The music in the background in this instance, is out of the control of the creator of the video. How is this a fair situation?

If like you say, BM this video would be concidered non-commercial, or documentary, then surely what youtube is doing, while in line with the agreements that they have in place with copyright holders, is illegal?

Does anyone know if similar websites to youtube have the same policy, or are some more friendly to non-commercial video producers than others?

Brazillians have a lax attitude.

Most bands consider their downöoads as free and promo ad, and make their money at live concerts.

Like if you like us, come and support us at live!

I like it.

I think this is the attitude of a lot younger musicians and bands. There are a lot of bands that release a free download of their album, and ask for a donation in return. This is a good way to get your name out there. It is not as if they don't still make money from record sales though. I think bands that go on a big rant (i.e Metallica) about people stealing their music, are making themselves look bad, let the record company be the a***holes, and just concentrate on releasing and performing good music.

I suppose if you produced music yourself, you could choose to do things that way....

;)

I have no musical talent though.... :)

I am not asking to get music for free, in fact I still buy CD's as I like to have the physical product, however when the market changes, in any business, you need to keep up with it, rather than try to protect a business model that is no longer relevant to the marketplace.

It might be wise to change, but you don't need to.

They have a choice.

And since it's their own work, they are perfectly entitled to make that choice themselves.

That's how I see it.

Companies, indeed people, often have reasons for doing what they do in terms of protecting their interests whatever - even though they might be annoying to some/lots of people.

[see my annoyances at Sony in the gaming thread.]

Reasons are not apparent and often more complex than people not in the loop realise.

Put it on the other foot and no doubt lots of people would soon change their tune.

Doesn't stop it being annoying of course.

• SnowJapan Admin

Deleted a few objectional and annoying posts.

I'm closing this now (kind of ironic given one of the talking points, but there you go) as it is going nowhere other than downhill extremely fast.

(Feel free to open a new topic to discuss the copyright issue).

Thanks.