Sorry but that is a cat track. That vid is like a narrow run (that would be marked on the map) with trees on the side rather that what most would call a tree run where you actually negotiate your own line through a patch of trees.

As for where you can find that in japan I cannot help sorry.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BM and many an other poster talks up Cortina as the place for tree runs....never been but the vids look great

That's why I put the video up. They're the type of runs I enjoy, and seeing as I'm the person organising the trip, I get to make the calls...

Open gelande is good for some people, but not what I enjoy.

Im not having a go, everyone likes what they like and thats what makes snowboarding so great. I was trying to help you with what I believe to be the correct terminology for what you are looking for so hopefully you get more accurate results in your search.

That's fair enough!

In this part of Niigata, I would say the most like that is at Hakkai-san from the top right part you can see it on the map here, essentially just a winding road but lots of people like to take short cuts.

hakkai_map.jpg

Photos from Hakkai-san

http://www.snowjapan...th-january-2012

http://www.snowjapan...th-january-2011

Goz: Sorry, the internet doesn't allow for tone. I must have read your words in a different voice to what you said them as.

That trail at Hakkai looks cool Muika.

If you saw the run in the video on a piste map, you'd probably look straight over it. I suppose, unless they start making piste maps detailed 3D things, then little gems will always be overlooked.

It is fun actually like I said lots of people take short cuts actually through the trees. Lovely views of the beautiful Hakkai-san as well.

Hakkai-san is in Minamiuonuma, to the north of Yuzawa, in Niigata.

:friend:

Can't really think of any other runs like that which are any considerable length in this area.

There's a bit of that from the top of Iwappara, but it's not long at all.

The other place I thought of for 'trees', although a different kind of atmoshpere, is Zao in Yamagata. Once of my top 3 resort areas.

They usually are TB, but when you are not afraid to shoot through trees to avoid them/pileups or if you have less people on the resorts/spread out over a wider area, they can be a lot of fun.

It's sort of the same as the Tengu course at Ichinose Family. A lot of fun to go barreling down, but most of the time swamped with Ski schoolers and their equally dangerous instructors. Do your best to pick a break in the lifts and you are usually alright.

Entertaining vid, Scislone :) :thumbsup:

I see you were trying to get as much speed as possible ... pretty flat, thought you might get stuck

They are not bad, like you said if there´s no one ahead of you. Dodgy when passing a slow skier or a fast skier passing you.

Something we do at the end of the day here in Europe. Getting down from the middle station to the base station.

Can get bumpy and then it´s no fun.

Yeh, the flat bits suck, especially if you're on a snowboard.. Being a little heavier certainly helps with momentum.

It's not so much the flat sections, but fast and/or technical turns I love, with the ability to head off the path if I feel like it. On that track, there are numerous areas where you can cut corners, go wide around trees and float banks, so everytime can be slightly different to the time before, especially if you go through the trees and bail in powder, like I seemed to do everytime the camera was on..

I'll have a sort through my other videos and upload any decent runs.

so cat tracks are paths? Rightyo. Plenty of those everywhere. Nozawa has several of them, 47 has a beautiful one, suginohara is almost one gigantic path on mitahara side (well, aside the big open part in the middle). In fact since japan has not all that much vertical, you can look at a trail map and if it boasts a 6km+ run chances are 4km+ of that is going to be a big long windy flat path. :p

PS. Go to suginhora i reckon. Nice little red run at the top, spits you out into the main resort area, but here you just bank into the trees on skiers right, then ride that doen to the middle lift, fly past that into the open (but usually empty) space and soak up the view, then its another gorgeous little path in between the trees (but not tree riding - though you can), before popping out at the base.

In total its about 7-8km or so of riding, the start is a bit challenging and probably exactly what youre after, but after that its super hippy mellow floating. Last year i took a video of me riding full top to bottom, and it was about 20 minutes. I wasnt bombing it, nor was i just falling leaf my way down it. I was just enjoying the mellow ride of it all... actually maybe ill go to myoko this weekend :) I always love it.

so cat tracks are paths? Rightyo.

Basically yes. The cat part originates from the snow cat . The cat track is a small trail that is used as an access road for the snow cat so it does not have to blaze straight up the steep slope carrying its cargo of people or supplies.

not to head off topic, but i always called a cat track a specific track in teh snow made by said snow cat, as it plunders lines that arent part of the on piste creating a space you can ride but the resort doesnt want you to ride. Usually they come up under lifts or slightly out of the way lines in semi unstable areas (i think akakan has one of those if i remember). Anyway, i was clearly being too literal. I figured it was just a track made by a snow cat and not a path that the snow cat happens to use (if you get me?). I learn something new everyday :)

I call them tree runs... It's a piste run, and it's surrounded on both sides by trees..

The whole reason I asked the question in the first place was that, as lovely as Muika's pics are, a lot of the resorts looked very open, so I didn't know if that was the way all resorts in Japan were (although I do remember a couple of tree runs at Furano), or if it's just the pics not showing the whole story.

I don't know the others, but I can't remember one like that at Happo? Where is it? :confused:

There's a long rinkan from the bottom of Panorama down to Sakka. It starts skiers extreme left at the bottom of Panorama. It joins a separate rinkan off the top of the Sakka quad.

Most Japanese folks describe this kind of course as a "rinkan" (through the woods). Most will be access roads for driving up the mountain for maintenance etc.

47's lower one involves going right across the main downhill course twice. It seems to freak a few beginners out. The last part of 47's upper one is actually uphill and leaves you on the flat by the upper gondola station.

not to head off topic, but i always called a cat track a specific track in teh snow made by said snow cat, as it plunders lines that arent part of the on piste creating a space you can ride but the resort doesnt want you to ride. Usually they come up under lifts or slightly out of the way lines in semi unstable areas (i think akakan has one of those if i remember). Anyway, i was clearly being too literal. I figured it was just a track made by a snow cat and not a path that the snow cat happens to use (if you get me?). I learn something new everyday :)

I take it in that contect, too myself.

1) Cat track - a track made by snow cat.

2) Trail that winds down