Meesh Hytner was doing typical pro-snowboarder things, participating in an informal backcountry competition in Colorado, when suddenly she found herself in a class-3 avalanche. Lucky for her, she was wearing an emergency airbag system, and lucky for you, there's video.

Meesh was wearing a Backcountry Access Float 30, and it very possibly saved her life. The airbag allowed her to "float" on her back as the surface beneath her crumbled and swept her down the mountain. Not only did she survive, she was completely unscathed.

Good insurance policy.

But still, survival is not assured ... The best equipment won´t save you.

And no, it does not make you float. It is not water. It works on the principal that larger particles do not get sucked under when that particle is in an avalanche running down the mountain.

If you are at the end of the avalanche´s travel path, you just get covered over ... well, you get hit with a high velocity huge mass ...bye bye

I'd rather not thanks Man in Japan, but if I was n an Avie I would want one.

Now this is spewing forth off the top of my head, and my memory is not what it once was, but prett sure the Ads I saw recently in Chamonix for these things at the displays during the Freeride world tour said there was a 95% survival rate. I'd take that!

Mammut, abs, snowpulse .. about 700 Euro (with19% sales tax)

Compared to other (extreme) sports equipment like skydiving, paragliding, etc safty backup system (ie, automatic activation device for reserve, )

a reasonable cost for insurance.

Snowboarding is not that expensive to kit out.

I would consider a back protector equally important for freeriding.